It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fires rage as death toll rises

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Fires rage as death toll rises

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

AT least 166 people are dead and 24 blazes remain out of control as Victoria's bushfire crisis enters its fourth day.

The death toll from the Victoria fires is certain to rise further as more remains are found in more than 700 burnt-out homes strewn through the 330,000ha so far razed in Australia's worst bushfire disaster.

Most of the latest people confirmed dead were killed in the small towns of Strathewen and St Andrews, on Melbourne's bushy northeastern fringe.

There are now 22 people confirmed dead at St Andrews, a town with a population of about 1500 people. Strathewen, with only 450 people prior to the bushfires, lost 26 residents to the inferno that swept through on Saturday.

Whole towns have been declared crime scenes, with fears many of the fires that broke out on Saturday and claimed so many lives were deliberately lit.

Related News Links:
www.timesonline.co.uk

Roswell.

Mod Note: Breaking General News Posting Guidelines- Please Review This Link

And most importantly, the submission must be made via the Submit News Button
located on the toolbar at the top of the page.

[edit on Wed Feb 11 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Been watching this on the news 24/7.
Got in touch with a friend near Adelaide to ensure they were OK.
You anywhere in danger Ros?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
None so far, I'm on the other side of Melbourne, as is Adelaide, Just said on the news that the death toll is at 173.

I just can't understand why some bloody idiot thought it would be cool to light a fire on a TOTAL FIREBAN DAY!

they should be charged for mass murder...

Roswell.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Global Warming Sunday was the worst bushfire day in Australian history, but it most certainly was not the worst day in our history.
Lest we Forget the 5533 diggers who bravely gave their lives at the Battle of Fromelles on July 19th 1916.

By the way, I dub the day 'Global Warming Sunday', and take full credit for it's labelling.
Spread the word, share it with your friends, Global Warming Sunday!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Ros, it just makes me sick that someone would do such a thing like this. It seems like the cause of this was just somebody out looking for a cheap thrill. This 'cheap' thrill has cost the lives of somewhere close to 180 lives and cost Australia millions possibly tens of millions of dollars. Whoever did this needs to be found and brought to swift justice. Life in prison is not a justified sentence for this. This person or persons should face death right in the eye like so many victims did. Yes, charges should be brought down by your justice system. Instead of mass murder charges, how about a Crimes Against Humanity charge?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gimmefootball400

The way I see it, death is too quick for these people, they need to be locked away with other criminals who had their family members die in the fires they set.

Edit: Thankfully the death toll has stayed at 173 throughout the day, lets just hope it doesn't rise.

Roswell.

[edit on 9/2/2009 by roswell1]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by roswell1

Hey Ros,
Glad to hear you are OK. I heard from a friend the other day there was a fire down on the peninsula. Only small thank god.
If arthurs seat goes it will make a hell of a mess.

Like everyone else, I have been watching the news non stop, and there have been some amazing stories come out of this. Apart from the sadness and loss, the stories of miracles, heroism and community spirit are inspiring.

You guys getting any reprieve from the heat at all?
Your friend in soggy QLD
Ant

[edit on 10/2/2009 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
plenty cold here, too cold thismorning, I really didn't wanna get up...damn school days...

On the note of 'Global Warming Sunday';

AUTHORITIES fear the numbers of deaths from the Black Saturday bushfires could spiral to 230, as John Brumby called a royal commission into the devastating blazes and police hunted arsonists, labeled mass murderers by Kevin Rudd.

Link

Not sure if this is official but I think it may be...

Roswell.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Its all just too horrific. I had to turn the news off because I kept wanting to cry. Those poor people.

And to think someone deliberately lit them! WTF is going on with that??? What the hell is wrong with these people???

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Viking..you are in Queensland? If only there was a way to take the water from where you are down south to put the fires out.
What a switch from one place to the other.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I was saying that just the other day...
We sure are a country of extremes here.
I have friends/family in both situations. I am stuck right in middle.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Death toll: 181

Fires burning (Uncontrolled): around 20

Red Cross relief fund tally: $31,255,562

Cool weather is helping the firefighters.

Edit: These are the numbers at 8:07am 11/2/09

Roswell.

[edit on 10/2/2009 by roswell1]

join