It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Shepherd Protesters Ram Japanese Whalers in Intense Clash

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beelzebubba
How many whalers have been killed so far?

Who exactly is being the agressor in the Southern Ocean?

Who has fired weapons (yes, real bullets) at who?

Why do Sea Shepherd crew wear bullet-proof vests?

How many activists do you know that have gone into the homes of the whalers and stolen from, smashed their windows, and assaulted them and their families?

You really show the level of intellect common to your type.

I was not refering to Whalers in specific, I used them as a example (since this thread has them featured so prominently).

I know of many instances of all the above happening to those who test on animals, especially in the UK, it has made hedline news too many times, protestorys digging up the reamains of grandparents of the company directors, burglaring the prmesis of business as well as private homes of employess. Harassing and intimidateing family members to pressure people into quiting there jobs and so on.

I am sure whalers would have met such response, had they lived in Australia, instead they can go back home to Japan after their haul and not have to be subject to the extreamists.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Leto

Even if that were true, does that justify the Japanese whalers ignoring an order from the Australian Federal Government to stop whaling in OUR waters and get out of OUR territory?

I find it amazing that people can be SO ignorant. DO SOME BLOODY RESEARCH before you open your traps again.

[edit on 6/2/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Leto

Quite frankly it is obvious you know NOTHING about this issue and how it not only affects the whale populations, the fact that they use cruel methods to capture the whales but also the blatant disregard by the Japanese Government to abide by Australian Law and get the hell out of our territory! ALL Australians agree with this. It is OUR territory and we do not want them slaughtering OUR whales.

Get it? Or does the ignorance not stop there?

What gives you the right to speak for your people? You their elected leader? NO? Then do not make flase claims to try and make your claim more valid. I am sure there is a massive proportion of your country who couldn't give two craps as to the fate of whales, maybe even theres those who agree with it (maybe they agree that Japanese like the taste, so should be free to eat as they wish, just like your free to eat as you wish?).

Your assuming too much for your nation with your claim!

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Saf85]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Civility And Decorum Are Required on AboveTopSecret.com

Let's please post accordingly. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

reply to post by Leto

Even if that were true, does that justify the Japanese whalers ignoring an order from the Australian Federal Government to stop whaling in OUR waters and get out of OUR territory?

Is it Australia's water? I'm trying to figure out who owns the Southern Ocean, haven't found the answer yet.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Saf85

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Nice try mate, you obviously haven't got a CLUE what happens in Australia.

WE THE PEOPLE called for our government to do something about this atrocity. OUR government responded and sent in the Navy to take photographic evidence to take the Japanese government to International Court. But the whalers found a loophole (which the Australian Government is trying to close) to kill these poor creatures for 'scientific research' even though we have DNA evidence that the whalemeat is used for kids school lunchs and delicacies.

The reason Sea Shepherd is there tailing the fleet is because our Government has allowed them to do so because until we can resolve the 'scientific research' bullcrap the Navy has to keep it's distance. Once we get this resolved we are going to eject them from our waters, using the Australian Navy.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Leto

Australian Antarctic Territory

You mustn't be looking very hard mate.

The Japanese whalers are whaling smack-bang in the middle of OUR TERRITORY.

Deny Ignorance: for the love of god PLEASE Deny Ignorance.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Ok since your so clued up, point me to some hard cold data, showing 100% the Australian populace seen this as a major issue and petitioned your government to intervene.

Also as Leto states, your territorial waters must not extend more than 200 or so miles off your shores, to then claim the Whalers are in your waters, just because your think you own the whole of the ocean, is not their fault. I am sure if Australia wishes to use military force to remove the whalers from international waters, the Japanese navy will be allowed to protect thier citizens in kind!

The only reason your navy is not following the whalers, is because they have no right to do so in international waters, which is why your hippy ship is doing the dirty work for them.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

reply to post by Leto

Australian Antarctic Territory

You mustn't be looking very hard mate.

The Japanese whalers are whaling smack-bang in the middle of OUR TERRITORY.

Deny Ignorance: for the love of god PLEASE Deny Ignorance.

That seems to be land territory, not the Southern Ocean.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leto
The protesters have been pushing too far. As long as the whales aren't in danger of going extinct these whalers should be able to make a living.

Whaling itself is subsedised heavily by the Goverment of Japan.

The whale meat is served up to school kids at linch time and also in fast food resturaunts as a burger as a cheap meat supply.

There is no tradition to hunting,
the Japanese want to target other species besides the minki, they want to "research" humpbacks as well.

If they want to hunt whales they should do it in Japanese waters, not in a whale sanctuary in Antarctica which they do not recognize as a sanctuary.

and the only reason Japan is still allowed to hunt whales is because they paid for the membership of dozens of African countries who voted for them to "research"
Half of these countries wouldn't even know what a whale is, but they understand what a money hand out is.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

reply to post by Leto

I find it amazing that people can be SO ignorant. DO SOME BLOODY RESEARCH before you open your traps again.

I am Australian and how dare you claim to be speaking for me and as for "I find it amazing that people can be SO ignorant. DO SOME BLOODY RESEARCH before you open your traps again." You should really learn from this and DO SOME RESEARCH yourself
Australia does NOT own the Southern Ocean. We claim it, but not to many nations recognise this claim.
Paul Watson and the crew of the Steve Irwin should be charged under maritime law. There is no excuse for their behavior and endangering HUMAN LIFE

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Look, quite frankly I do not care to answer any more of your silly, ignorant questions. The fact is that the Australian Federal Government considers Japanese whaling in our Southern Territorial Waters as being ILLEGAL and the majority of the Australian public agree with them. You do not have to be labelled an 'extremist' to believe what the Japanese are doing is very wrong.

The Japanese ignore our legal territorial claim, ignore Australian Supreme court orders to get out of our ocean and ignore the will and the wish of the majority of Australian people. I do not care about your ignorant questions when you could do a little googling yourself and get the answers.

Please, if you do not live in Australia and already know all about what goes on with these whalers, do your research before replying to this thread.

(Incidenatlly I am not one of those PETA supporters who want to change the name of 'fish' to 'sea kittens'. THATS bloody ridiculous. I am an ordinary Aussie who happens to despise the fact that the Japanese blatantly disregard the will of the Australian Government and the Australian people.)

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Anyone who claims a few human lives out of what, nearing 7 billion, are more important than helping to prevent the extinction of these animals is a complete and utter retard.

If I had control of a vessel capable of sinking these whaling boats, I would sink every last one of them. And if I'm at the point where I'm about to sink them, I wouldn't care even if there were family members aboard.

Paul Watson FTW.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Ah yes, the Creationist World-view. It will be a proud moment when mankind inherits his Kingdom of Ashes.

Humans also have the faculty of empathy and some of us choose to utilise it.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
No, Really: Courtesy Is Mandatory

I know this is an emotional issue for some, but I don't recommend ignoring my instructions.

Please respect the rules and post accordingly.

[edit on 2/6/2009 by Majic]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Care to supply some proof re your constant claims of the support of the majority of Australians supporting anti whaling? Until a poll of all Australians is carried out, you cant.
Now as to "The Japanese ignore our legal territorial claim, ignore Australian Supreme court orders to get out of our ocean and ignore the will and the wish of the majority of Australian people."
If another country imposed boundaries over falsly claimed waters and if not supported by the majority of countries then Australia would probably do exactly the same as the Japanese and ignore these claims and any court rulings.
Remember Japan, Iceland and a few other members of IWC could withdraw from it at anytime and then commence full time harvesting of ALL whales, instead of the situation we have now where a small number of whales, out off increasing larger populations, of just a few species harvested
I support the SUSTAINABLE HARVEST AND MANAGEMENT of any animal.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
It is funny how people are going at each others throats, simple fact is, they whale in our water, which is illegal, any Aussie caught whaling goes to jail for a long time. It is against the law, these animals are protected. Seems some do not realize that. Protected means to make sure no harm comes to the species.

They are always caught in our territory illegally whaling, just last dec they were at it again. www.abc.net.au...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalrana
reply to post by Kryties

I support the SUSTAINABLE HARVEST AND MANAGEMENT of any animal.

Even endangered species? I would like to see anybody in the scientific world, who knows anything about the biosphere consider that an intelligent thing to support. Like the sumatran tiger? Give me a break.

And the Australian government has a firm stance on whaling, and has for years, it doesn't need to let the people vote, it's not their decision.

And the proof more Australian agree with the ban on whaling is:

There are thousands of people which are members of societies which are trying to protect whales - show me an Australian organization that promotes whaling.

It is against Australian law (an imprisonable offense) to be part of whaling, so why would you break the law.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Flag & STARS, Beelzebubba! Great thread, great links.

I'm with you, and here for you, and the whales! Such majestic creatures
should NOT be killed in my op. So sad to see the mum & baby murdered.

And Kryties- STARS STARS & STARS! I love your passion on such an emotional issue. I pray to God the Australian Navy puts YOU at the helm, when it's time to expell the Japanese whalers!

Steve Irwin R.I.P. is smiling on both of you, and his widow, Terri is proud of you! Since Sea Shepherd is already linked, here's a couple more:
Whaleman Foundation
Greenpeace

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1xion325alpha

Even endangered species? I would like to see anybody in the scientific world, who knows anything about the biosphere consider that an intelligent thing to support. Like the sumatran tiger? Give me a break.

Do you know what SUSTAINABLE HARVEST means? You dont seem to otherwise you would now how stupid your opening comment is.
Minke whales are NOT a threatened species. 856 harvested out of a population of around 700,000 in the southern ocean and rising
Fin whales 10 harvested out of a population of 85,000 and rising
Humpbacks with a population of only 18,000 should not at this stage be harvested ( And they aren't. Although Japan have tried to have them included for harvest))
The International Whaling Commission (IWC) is an international body set up by the terms of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling with the goal to "provide for the proper conservation of whale stocks and thus make possible the orderly development of the
whaling industry"

FROM WIKI: IWC

IWC is an voluntary international organisation and are not backed up by treaty. Therefore, the IWC, in essence, is a voluntary organisation which has substantial practical limitations on its authority. First, any member countries are free to simply leave the organisation and declare themselves not bound by it if they so wish. Second, any member state may opt out of any specific IWC regulation by lodging a formal objection to it within 90 days of the regulation coming into force, Third, the IWC has no ability to enforce any of its decisions through penalty imposition.

As i stated earlier: Remember Japan, Iceland and a few other members of IWC could withdraw from it at anytime and then commence full time harvesting of ALL whales, instead of the situation we have now where a small number of whales, out off increasing larger populations, of just a few species harvested

====
Mod Edit: added 'ex' tags.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2/6/2009 by Badge01]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join