It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accidental thermite reaction.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
It has been noted several times that the structural support beams seemed to be cut, as if it were a result of thermite being used in the building. Photos showing what appears to be a thermite reaction have been shown as proof that thermite was used to cut the support columns and thus weakening the structural integrity of WTC 1 and WTC 2, leading to their collapse.

whatreallyhappened.com...

Propose this however, Thermite is a mix of commonly found materials. Iron Oxide, and Aluminum. (I believe there are other agents also at work, however these two metals are the main ingredients.) Steel over time oxidizes and ages, thus creating iron oxide (rust), rust is flaky. Ever notice an old rusty car and how rust is flaky and breaks off easily? I propose that perhaps due to the age of the towers and the natural sway they already possessed, iron oxide and aluminum powder were mixed at key points along the internal skeliton of the WTC towers.

The towers were so tall that engineers designed it to sway with the wind as to not fall over due to high winds at the upper floors. The swaying motion caused a buildup of iron oxide at key points along the structural support beams. This rubbing motion may have also created aluminum powder build up due to an adjacent aluminum structure (like an aluminum stud) being rubbed on repeatedly.

When the planes hit the building it jarred the building tremendously, causing the Iron Oxide/Aluminum buildup mixture to combust into thermite, resulting in the seemingly cut support beams shown many times as evidence of thermite being used. This would lend credence to the official story. It would also confirm that thermite was used to cut the support beams thereby weakening the structure enough to collapse as it was seen on that fateful day, the difference is that it wasn't a deliberate act of sabotage but an accidental reaction to two metals rubbing together over time, creating a deadly powder.

Just a thought as I was watching a Mythbusters episode about Thermite and the Hindenburg.

Whether or not the official story is correct, or whether or not the attacks were a pre planned operation, this theory alone I think deserves to be looked into as it may explain a strange phenomenon discovered after the towers fell. The seemingly cut support beams may have in fact been cut accidentally due to a buildup of thermite along the length of the columns. This is why they were cut at odd angles at certain points along their lengths.

[edit on 2/2/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

A very well-considered theory WUK.

There are no additional agents in thermite. Only rust and aluminum powder, as you mentioned. Anything else used is there to simply heat the mixture to the reaction temperature.

There is little doubt rust was available, and little doubt that at least some of the airplane itself (along with the studs) contained aluminum. The jet fuel could have easily reached the reaction temperature as well. Ergo, I would be surprised to not find some evidence of limited thermite reactions (cast iron and aluminum oxide) in the debris.

I highly doubt that there was a tremendous amount of thermite reactions, but they could have existed in small pockets, and since the reaction is extremely exothermic it would also account for some of the heat involved in super-heating the structure to reduce the load-carrying capacity of the steel.

Thermite reaction:
Fe2O3 + 2Al --> 2Fe + Al2O3 (ΔH = -851.4 kJ)
Temperature produced in open environment: 3000+°C
Typical industrial use: welding of broken train rails in remote locations.

TheRedneck

join