It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

should the cannabis industry be supported in our current global downturn

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

should the cannabis industry be supported in our current global downturn

www3.interscience.wiley.com

a lot of people dont like cannabis for a number of different reasons.
but in todays current global downturn, should the cannabis industry be used as a source of jobs & revenue ?.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
my thoughts on cannabis are. that cannabis whilst being ilegal still generates billions of us dollars per year.
befor i go on i am not saying cannabis is good or bad, just that it has great potential as an industry to generate many billions of needed dollars.some info about cannabis.
cannabis grows well even in poor soils.
cannabis can support industrys like, paper, textiles, clothing, rope, farming, biofuels, food industry, oils, soaps, health products, medicens & many more.
cannabis is biodegradable.
if cannabis were to be used as a mass industry it has the potential to earn billions of us dollars per year.
& support many thousands of jobs.
currently most of the profits from cannabis are going to the crime world !!.
the current laws against cannabis are not working, but only force the price up.
i can not see any law against cannabis any where in the world that actually stops cannabis from being traded, becuase where there is demand there will be a supply.
the mental issues that some people think cannabis may cuase to some people is sketchy, as the uk government ordered a study on cannabis, when the study did not return the findings the uk government wanted to hear, the study was ignored & the government then went ahead & changed cannabis from a class c drug back to a class b.
when i look at the economy today, & the hardships that the car industry`s are facing mass bailouts, layoffs & the loss of jobs in supporting industrys becuase a lack of demand, cannabis is looking like it can help with a mass industry of its own & there continues to be demand for it.
the current direction of todays economy seems to be in the direction of a 1930`s type event !!, surley with todays riots spreading throughout europe, demands some serious thinking out of the box ?.
or perhaps you would prefere to keep your priciples & ignore a massive industry with the potential to create jobs & feed your familys ?.
i dont think cannabis has all the answers to todays problems, but i do think its a massive industry with great potential being ignored.
disagree or agree with what i`m saying, but cannabis as an industry needs to be seriously looked at for its potential.
thanks for reading.
(ats i know you dont like drugs as a subject matter, but here i am talking about cannabis as an industry matter & not a drug)

www3.interscience.wiley.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I think people are a little uneducated/fooled when it comes to marijuana and hemp!

The info is out there If you want to know the facts!

Here is some info I think all should be aware of!

www.jackherer.com...

Read and enjoy!

link   

link   
reply to post by cooler

Yes. Period. I mean why the hell not? If alcohol is legal and tobacco too. why not cannabis? I am not a proponent of the legalization of narcotics however, that would be a mistake.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Double Eights

Thats a very valid point but I think we as a group have to move on from the past. Thats the only way to evolve. You are about to get censored BTW.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by spookjr]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by spookjr
reply to post by cooler

Yes. Period. I mean why the hell not? If alcohol is legal and tobacco too. why not cannabis? I am not a proponent of the legalization of narcotics however, that would be a mistake.

Anything!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I think the cannibus industry could be a huge boon to the economy in the US. Keeping it illegal is simply prohibition. It makes criminals of those who use it and creates an underground market that causes many other crimes.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
thanks for the speedy replys, i know this is a touchy subject matter for some poeple & i am not on iether side, but just wanted to share my thoughts on a potential source of revenue being ignored.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by cooler

I am all for the legalization of it, but I don't think the economic
crisis is the correct way to introduce it. I would hope those with
families and those facing foreclosures would prioritize better than
to feel the need to smoke pot. Clothes, shelter and food is the
most important.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
reply to post by cooler

most important.

if cannabis was adopted as an industry with a lot of potential for employment, having a job means you can buy cloths, shelter & food.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Was it not the elites of the paper industry who made hemp illegal? They seen something which would break their monopoly on tree made paper, anyone could grow hemp in a field, but they owned most the land with trees on it. If hemp overtook trees as the main source, kiss that lucrative deforestation goodbye!

So if you wish to know why the industry will not be legalised, go hassle your local tree farm, greedy, fat pig owner.

Also on the topic, I read that hemp oil derived plastics, are as impact resistant (if not more than) Steel! Puts fiber glass and carbon fiber to shame! Plus only a fraction of the cost and less harmful waste from the process.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Yes, legalization and taxation would make a difference. It would be easier to regulate then, and quite honestly, I doubt law enforcement is making a huge amount of money off of it. Also, think of how many drug dealers in Mexico that only deal in marijuana, would be put out of business. Either that, or to encourage keeping the profits and jobs in the US, tax imported marijuana more than that grown in the country.

If alcohol and tobacco, which continue to kill hundreds of thousands of people, are to continue to be legal, then marijuana should be as well.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cooler

reply to post by cooler

most important.

if cannabis was adopted as an industry with a lot of potential for employment, having a job means you can buy cloths, shelter & food.

I know man, I agree, but there other ways of creating jobs as well.
Perhaps more money in communities that have been destroyed from
Wal-Marts. Mom and Pop stores were ravished over the past 10 years,
these people lost their hand built businesses and family tradition. You
can't just assume that they all want to be legalized dope dealers.

If it's legalized I would assume that the THC level would be minimized
so that you have to buy more anyway. More government control. I don't
need any more government control. I trust my guy to deliver quality product.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saf85
Was it not the elites of the paper industry who made hemp illegal? They seen something which would break their monopoly on tree made paper, anyone could grow hemp in a field, but they owned most the land with trees on it. If hemp overtook trees as the main source, kiss that lucrative deforestation goodbye!

So if you wish to know why the industry will not be legalised, go hassle your local tree farm, greedy, fat pig owner.

Also on the topic, I read that hemp oil derived plastics, are as impact resistant (if not more than) Steel! Puts fiber glass and carbon fiber to shame! Plus only a fraction of the cost and less harmful waste from the process.

the paper industry would change but not be lost.
in the uk many years ago when tall sailing ships were being used each ship needed approx 700 ft of hemp rope, so if you were a land owner at the time with more than 1 acre of land it was law that 10% of your land had to grow hemp so the uk navy could have its hemp rope.
now today a smimilar licence to growers could be used to make sure revenues could be collected, & so one paper industry would change but not be lost.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by zerozero00

i agree everyone should read that i have it opened my eyes big time

cannabis is a political tool is all it should never have been made illegal
way way back in the day should have stayed legal

the hemp industry can create lots of jobs

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
If it was legal then drug dealers wouldn't earn so much money, which means less money would be sucked out of the country and into terrorist hands and criminals in this country wouldn't have so much money so they couldn't buy guns, etc.

Garden centers would BOOM, everyone that's giving a sizable chunk of their money to criminals would now be giving it to garden centers and hortricultral societys -thus we would be in a better position to grow our own food if the need came.

The police wouldn't need to waste so much money looking for plants and busting, processing and imprisoning pot smokes so such a huge chunk of the budget could be removed, police could busy themselves arresting the cheating bankers and terrorists.

Local growers could sell their product in shops, taxed and properly cared for - thus not only would the government stop spending so much money but they would EARN money.

Plus the added bonus that people would get good, clean weed - you could be sure no one had sprayed it with nasty chemicals or grown with too much nitrogen, etc .

So why is it baned again? oh yeah because it turns people into wild crazed killers -that typical stoner steriotype lol. 'cheech and chong's crazy axe killings' isn't a film i remember

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
They won't legalize it because they can't tax something you can grow on your own, better to keep it illegal and make money off fines and confiscations. When I partied in high school kids were smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol, no problem there, it's taxed because you can't hide a brewery or a tobacco plantation behind your garage. As for being a gate way drug, nobody I know went from smoking it to doing heroin anymore than anybody went from a glass of wine at dinner time to sitting on a stump in a mississippi swamp drinking 200 proof moonshine.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
ford used hemp
he new its benefits back then

www.youtube.com...

www.hempcar.org...

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by cooler

reply to post by cooler

most important.

i did state in my thread that cannabis is a massive industry, so no i dont expect mom & pop stores to suddenly become dope dealers, cannabis textiles in its own right can support building materials, cloths, canvas for art, canvas for trucks, what most people do when they see the word cannabis is think drugs !!!, when most of the cannabis plant leaves, bark & stem do not get you high, the bark is very fibres & great for materials, the stem is very strong & light wieght for textiles. leaves make very strong paper, in fact the uk £50 note is printed on cannabis paper.
I know man, I agree, but there other ways of creating jobs as well.
Perhaps more money in communities that have been destroyed from
Wal-Marts. Mom and Pop stores were ravished over the past 10 years,
these people lost their hand built businesses and family tradition. You
can't just assume that they all want to be legalized dope dealers.

If it's legalized I would assume that the THC level would be minimized
so that you have to buy more anyway. More government control. I don't
need any more government control. I trust my guy to deliver quality product.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join