It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Detention Facility in swamps of Northern Virginia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Hello all,

Just wanted some input on this facility I found using Maps Live. It's on the edge of Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria, Virginia. It looks like the facility is accessed via the DHS / Coast Guard Telecommunications Command on Telegraph Road. Maps Live has mislabeled the Coast Guard facility as being part of Fort Belvoir.

It's a building surrounded by double barbed wire fence in the shape of an octagon, the thing sticks out like a sore thumb on satellite, which is how I found it. At each angle of the octagon there are camera/sensor posts and the building also has cameras at each corner. There are two visible antenna in the Maps Live birdseye.

I'm reasoning that it's a detention facilty because of the two square partitioned "open air" sections of the building. If you look closely at the birdseye, there are cameras located in the corners of these partitions in the center of the "open air" squares.

The facility is very near Fort Belvoir which is home to U.S. Army Intelligence and Security Command. Could be a detention facility for high valued targets.

Birdseyes here:

From the south

Close up from the west

Regular Satellite:

Satellite

[edit on 30-1-2009 by Jack Jouett]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
nice catch. i looked and can't help but agree with your assessment of it being a prison of some sort, but it seems a little close to the housing to be holding high value prisoners.

or maybe it's just me who wants to keep the baddies as far away as possible

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Something's going on there too ^^

Is it anywhere near you? Pretty interesting stuff

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
This seriously warrants more investigation.

GEarth has a tag that brings up this

bbs.keyhole.com...

anotheruser4321 - Project 86. At least thats what we used to call it. It IS NOT Coast Guard.

So we know its on USCG land near or on Fort Belvior but it is run by
someone else. It looks brand new but is at the end of an ill maintained dirt road. I could also post the laundry list of sneaky/creepy agencies that work out of Fort Belvior.

Come on people this one is actually odd.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

So we know its on USCG land near or on Fort Belvior but it is run by
someone else. It looks brand new but is at the end of an ill maintained dirt road. I could also post the laundry list of sneaky/creepy agencies that work out of Fort Belvior.

Come on people this one is actually odd.

You are correct, Maps Live Birdeyes around two years ago showed the site under construction, so it is new. It looks like it could be a part of Fort Belvoir merely accessed via the Coast Guard site. I know all about the shadowy agencies at Fort Belvoir, INSCOM, NRO, "Secret Army of Northern Virginia" CIA etc.

I think this is a site for extremely high valued targets. Telegraph Road goes into Alexandria and the U.S. Federal Courthouse for the Eastern District of Virginia is located there. The Courthouse is actually on Telegraph Road. It's where the Federal Government has the trials for high profile terrorists.

You would think that they would hold the trials in D.C. but it's harder to get a death penalty conviction in D.C. than it is in Virginia. So they hold the trials in Alexandria, which is close enough to D.C. and used to be within D.C.'s boundaries.

There is a smaller holding facility next to the courthouse in Alexandria, it's where they held John Walker Lindh, Zacarias Moussaoui, Judith Miller, etc.

Alexandria holding facility

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Ya know Ive been reading and posting on this site for years and this thread is typical. You actually found something interesting and facts to back it up but you didnt bother to make up a story about how the MIB's held you captive so no one cares about this thread.

Well I want to know what this place is.

I found that sometimes you could just try calling and asking.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
That's not a detention facility. Everything security-wise is to keep intruders out, not in.

You don't park your cars, and have your building in the middle of a detention center.

You have your buildings and carpark outside, with the detainees on the inside.

Look at it again.

It's a facility that they want to keep people out of, not inside.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Hey all. I dont post here much but have been around this site awhile. This is so right in my backyard that its literally at the end of my back yard. My house backs directly up against Huntley Meadows itself. I grew up in those woods. My house is also about 100 yards from Woodlawn Village which is some of the military housing for Fort Belvoir.

This really is an interesting one! Having lived here all my life I know full well that the level of spookery on Belvoir is off the chart. Always has been. I may have to take a long walk through the woods again and check this out. Not till it gets warmer of course its pretty cold here right now.

Huntley Meadows is a state park and its legal to hike through as long as its daylight. Done it many many times. Discovered many many amazing things back there.

I will go no further than the US Military Installation Tresspassers will be shot/prosecuted signs that I know are nailed to trees prbly starting 3-500 yards away from this facility.

The facility itself could be anything. But one thing I highly doubt it is is a detention center of any kind. Most likely yet another command and control center of which there are many across Belvoir. Prbly tied into the same massive (and I mean MASSIVE!) communications array Belvoir has as all the other command and control centers are.

For those who dont know, Ft.Belvoir is gigantic. The main gate is down the street from my house here in southern Alexandria. Im going to have to look again to give an approximate size but the base does stretch 10 miles down the very edge of the Potomac.

The last BRAC realignment is going to quadruple the size of the base. So naturally construction on the base is booming. This building in question is easily part of the expansion. As to what it actually is...thats gonna have to wait. Ill get back to this thread in a couple months with what I find out from hiking through the woods. Ill also try the Belvoir web page but I seriously doubt theyll even admit it exists.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jack Jouett
Hello all,

Just wanted some input on this facility I found using Maps Live. It's on the edge of Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria, Virginia. It looks like the facility is accessed via the DHS / Coast Guard Telecommunications Command on Telegraph Road. Maps Live has mislabeled the Coast Guard facility as being part of Fort Belvoir.

It's a building surrounded by double barbed wire fence in the shape of an octagon, the thing sticks out like a sore thumb on satellite, which is how I found it. At each angle of the octagon there are camera/sensor posts and the building also has cameras at each corner. There are two visible antenna in the Maps Live birdseye.

I'm reasoning that it's a detention facilty because of the two square partitioned "open air" sections of the building. If you look closely at the birdseye, there are cameras located in the corners of these partitions in the center of the "open air" squares.

The facility is very near Fort Belvoir which is home to U.S. Army Intelligence and Security Command. Could be a detention facility for high valued targets.

Birdseyes here:

From the south

Close up from the west

Regular Satellite:

Satellite

[edit on 30-1-2009 by Jack Jouett]

What are those buildings around 11 o'clock and what is that long thin shadow? I don't see the pole or structure that is making that shadow.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
That's not a detention facility. Everything security-wise is to keep intruders out, not in.

Like I said, I'm just looking for input. The reason why I think it's a detention facility is the open air pertitions with cameras in each corner. Why the separate partitions and why cameras in an open area within the building?

If it is a detention facility then per haps it's for say 1-10 detainees. The unsual octogon shape also lends itself to the fact that it maybe a detention facility and also the double barbed wire fence. The only other place I've seen double barbed wire fencing with tracts between them like that are around the portals to the underground levels at Mount Weather.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Everything about this site says to me that they want people kept out, not in. And as far away from eyes as is possible.

The security in place is all defensive, including the cameras and things in the courtyards.

As for what they do there, there are no dishes that I can see, no domes; it's not communications.

Security is high, and it's hidden behind a front of civilian infrastructure.

No access other than by car/foot.

It's still visible on publicly accessible imagery.

I'd guess it's a non essential government or contractor installation. Probably providing non-essential backup, admin, data storage and processing of some kind.

Interesting, but not suspicious or covert in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jack Jouett

I once worked for a company that was contracted to the MoD, the site was civilian, offered repair and support for electronics systems in the filed globally. They had mirrored windows, double fencing with barbed wire with a track between, cameras throughout, strips of land around it, roadblocks... all they did there was repair and maintain systems.

Any contractor to any military branch is required to maintain a high level of security regardless of what they do. It's another aspect that decides if they win a contract or not.

A contractor providing 24hr, thorough, above and beyond need security is more likely to gain or retain a government contract than any other.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
My vote is for detention facility. I can think of no other reason to design a building like that with open air courtyards in the middle. If it were anything else that would be wasted space.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
No worries...it's a super secret detention facility used to house the nation's most notorious scientists. They're being held by the US Coast Guard and they're giving them low pay, crappy housing, bad food, and very little opportunity for advancement.....

Actually, it's part of the Homeland Security's (Coast Guard) GPS positioning initiative. This particular facility houses most of the critical network substations, backup systems, etc. If you look REALLY close, and do some google research, you can see the antennae array that was buried juat inside the fence line.

The operations center is the first building just outside this secured area. Most of the other systems, satellite dish farms, etc., are located just 2 miles Southwest. Zoom in clsoe and you can see the dishes.

Here's the link.....

www.navcen.uscg.gov...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Actually, it's part of the Homeland Security's (Coast Guard) GPS positioning initiative. This particular facility houses most of the critical network substations, backup systems, etc. If you look REALLY close, and do some google research, you can see the antennae array that was buried juat inside the fence line.

The operations center is the first building just outside this secured area. Most of the other systems, satellite dish farms, etc., are located just 2 miles Southwest. Zoom in clsoe and you can see the dishes.

Here's the link.....

www.navcen.uscg.gov...

You got anything to back that up? Yes the Nav Center is on the Coast Guard compound but the link you provided mentions nothing about the facility in question. And if you are talking about the radomes to the sothwest, those are a part of the National Reconnaissance Office.

This is the Nav Center, which is the building on the outside of the faility as you stated.

How do you know the building is what you stated? Why the partitions with cameras in each partition? Why is there 4 gates, 3 chain link and one metal lift gate with checkpoint entering this facility from the Coast Guard facility?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
It is run by the C.I.A as a detention center and debriefing center for top level captured old Iraqi Republican guard and other high level prisoner's of war.I have a friend that is stationed at this location as a military police officer.The building is not yet fully operational but does have about 17 or 18 prisoner's already there...My friend says that they will be up and running fully by July when the C.I.A's overseas prisons start to transfer there inmates due to the new Obama law regarding the overseas prisons...They expect to hold 400 top level Iraqi Republican Guard Al-queda officals...the detentin center was set to open last year but due to government cutbacks and spending limits the construction was halted for 4 months

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
After talking with some friends I received another interesting idea about this place. Additionally he heard through some channels of his about a place like this.

He mentioned that it probably is a jail but not what you think. Its prob used to do SEAR training for the elites in the spec-ops community. This would also make more sense for it being essentially on a USCG base. Basically you become a p.o.w to learn how to cope ect ect.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jack Jouett

The size of it is suspect....it seems to small to be any type of detention facility. I was thinking with the fencing built to keep people out and the cars parked on the inside it could be run by the US Marshall service. This could be a temporary facility for people under witness protection before being re-located and given a new identity.

[edit on 2/11/2009 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SlinkyDFW

Google Maps

Star, Star, Star for you my friend. Very good example of how we should DENY IGNORANCE, do a little research and investigation, and show we're not ALL paranoid delusionists!

Excellent work!

[edit on 11/2/09 by MajesticJax]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Very interesting..

I see no windows what-so-ever on the outside of the building.

Unless my eyes are wrong I think I see tables and chairs in the long open area within the building. My guess is that is some type of lunch / break area for staff maybe?

The open areas with the "grid" of walls. That is a puzzle. No entry that I can see to travel from one grid cell to the next. Cam's on the walls. Possibly those are either prisoner rec areas (if its a detention faclity) or some type of training area.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join