It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study concludes manners prevailed when Titanic sunk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Study concludes manners prevailed when Titanic sunk

news.yahoo.com

Many British victims of the Titanic disaster in 1912 may have sunk with the ship because of their gentlemanly behaviour, according to Swiss and Australian researchers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Manners, civility and decorum seem to lacking in today's world. Even here on ATS the mod's have to constantly remind members regarding manners, civility and decorum. Is it that many have not been installing in their children manners?

Who would have ever thought that the POTUS would give the press/public the middle finger as G.W.B. Jr did. There seem to be a disease running rampant through society as a whole. One of lack of proper manners. This is tearing at the moral fabric of mankind leading to a total lack of restraint in actions as manners would dictate in many instances.

Should we as a society continue on our present course or should be return to one of morals, manners, civility and decorum? Chime in with your views.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Here is a case where the parents went overboard in trying to teach manners to their child. I am appalled at such a tragedy. This is a complete lack of civility by the parents. The child was only two years old.

Then there is Wall Street, the Bankers and $700 billion dollars. Manners dictate responsibility...none here that I can see.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
There is a crude and crassness coursing through society today. It is a direct outgrowth of NWO media driven "entertainment" in my opinion. Shows like Two and a Half Men are a far cry from the Dick van Dyke Show or even All in the Family.
I'm almost immune from the use of the bleeped F word on shows on Comedy Central like Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart. These so-called comendians know their audience and they can always be assured a laugh for the F word. Guaranteed.
As far as manners, in my everyday life, men hold doors open for me and I for them. One on one there is a politeness.
We all witnessed the heroic landing of US Air #1549 a couple of weeks ago. Witnesses reported that, while it was a scramble, the shouts of "women and children first" could be heard in the darkened cabin. So all is not lost. The best revenge is to be polite to all those you meet.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by pstrron
There seem to be a disease running rampant through society as a whole. One of lack of proper manners.

Tell that to the French....I don't know where you live, but round here EVERYBODY is polite and that goes for complete strangers who've never met and will probably never meet again. Shop assistants greet you with "hello" when you check out and "have a good-day" when you leave. Always.
Handshakes are normal, there's no psycological virus to catch.

When I first came here I was amazed when a little boy on a bicycle said "bonjour"! I wondered if I knew him?

So not a "disease" here.

Also, this report (a waste of taxpayers money imo) points at the British being of "gentlemanly behaviour" but also points at others being in a more self-survival position.

Maybe the British weren't so full of "noblesse oblige" but were just victims of other's "not-niceness" or those in a more fortunate location on the ship.

But they also found that Americans had a higher survival rate than all the others when the Titanic sank in icy Atlantic waters.

"We were interested in how people behave when it's a matter of life and death," Frey said.

That says a lot doesn't it ....who pushed who for those lifeboat seats?

Thankyou for posting this article, but I can't see the point of it other than giving some bored researchers something to do and an easy paycheck.

R.I.P. to all those that lost their lives, let them sleep in Davy-Jones's Locker and let's not presume the conclusions of this research are as definative as they want us to believe.

We and the researchers weren't there!

And manners still prevail, just not where you are obviously....how many hands will you shake today, how many "take care's" will you wish?

The world's what we make it.

Have a really great day and once again, thankyou for posting this interesting article.

Take Care.....nerb

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

That says a lot doesn't it ....who pushed who for those lifeboat seats?

Yes it does, quite a sad commentary for those from the US of that time. That was remembered as a more genteel time but maybe not so genteel after all.

CX

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Interesting thread.

I am all for manners, theres is such a lack of them nowadys, it's disgusting.

However, in a life or death situation, i don't think there are many of us who could say they would be the shining example of good manners when the time came.

It might not have been a selfish, bad mannered thing, how about a guy pushing past because he wanted to look after his wife and kids in the life threatening situation? Theres lots of scenarios where i think my manners would go out of the window.

Like i said though, interesting article, thanks for posting.

CX.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Wow man.. you tie .. everything into this thread?

Kind of lost me. Kind of went waaay off from what the news article was even about.. bank bail outs... manners expressed on the Titanic...... sure, why not.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

What I was trying to point out was manners are about doing the right things at the right times. What the bankers have done is down right rude imo.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Here the same story, but different source. Published a week earlier. It says that they are analysing data from other sinkings too.

Polite Poms 'had no chance on Titanic'

20 January

Mr Savage is also analysing data from the sinking of the cruise liner Lusitania in 1915 by a German U-boat off the coast of Ireland, the 1956 sinking of luxury ship Andera Doria and the loss of the Estonia passenger ferry in 1994.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Btw, they misspelled "Andrea Doria". She was a beautiful ship.

A related thread:
How did the 'Estonia' sink 1994?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Interesting thread.

I am all for manners, theres is such a lack of them nowadys, it's disgusting.

However, in a life or death situation, i don't think there are many of us who could say they would be the shining example of good manners when the time came.

It might not have been a selfish, bad mannered thing, how about a guy pushing past because he wanted to look after his wife and kids in the life threatening situation?

You're right! Nowadays people will usually resort to looting and raping. If you happen to a woman and something terribly wrong goes in your neighborhood. It will be in your best interest to disguise yourself as a man. These are the times when beauty becomes a curse.

Children had no other choice but to hide and avoid getting outside, maybe applicable to everybody too.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk
You're right! Nowadays people will usually resort to looting and raping. If you happen to a woman and something terribly wrong goes in your neighborhood. It will be in your best interest to disguise yourself as a man. These are the times when beauty becomes a curse.

Crikey,
where do YOU live? Remind me not to go there.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I’m just wondering how those poor souls locked in steerage felt about the ‘civility and decorum’ shown them. Or is that just a class warfare inspired myth?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Well the men that stayed behind while the Women boarded the Life Boats must have had guts more so then a lot of people would today IMO . Particular mention should go to the Titanic Radio Operator who kept on broadcasting the then new SOS distress call until the end .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
My grandfather was on the Carpathia that night.

Years ago he told me stories of rescuing Titanic survivors from life boats and how the people, half frozen, were brought on board. Some needing to be carried up rope ladders slung over the side by crew members that tried to save as many as possible. Ropes being toss down to hoist survivors in boats up to the deck.
People brought clothing from their luggage and blankets to the deck to keep people warm.

He sadly spoke of bodies in the water and how some people died on the deck even after they had been rescued from the boats.

I got a real impression that it was the most horrible night of his life.
This was a man that fought in both world wars and experienced many horrors in the service of his country, but that night on April 14 and the morning of the 15th when they were rescuing people was the hardest thing he had to experience.

He spoke of dead children stiff in their mother's arms, but the mother couldn't give the child up and just wanted to hold them.
He spoke of children wailing for lost parents, and some that were just silent and in shock over the tragedy of what was going on around them.
People shivering so badly that nothing could warm them up and the ship had no hot water.
The crys of desperation from those brought aboard only to realize their loved one was lost.

What a tragedy for all those involved.:shk:

Edit: I think this was the only time I saw my grandfather cry. That night the Titanic went down had a very deep and profound effect on him.

[edit on 31/1/2009 by anxietydisorder]

top topics

join