It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama lifts ban on abortion funds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Obama lifts ban on abortion funds

news.bbc.co.uk

President Barack Obama has lifted a US funding ban for groups providing abortion services abroad, reversing a policy of his predecessor, George Bush.

The policy known as the "global gag rule" had stopped US government money going to groups which perform or provide information about abortion.

Health groups had complained of being badly hit. The US is a key backer of family planning programmes globally.

Mr Obama's move has implications for hundreds of aid agencies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
this should rattle some feathers in the US with the anti abortion camp, Bush must really be peed off seeing almost everything he has put in place slowly being taken out

this should be intresting to see what people think of this

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-1-2009 by bodrul]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I think it's fantastic. I mean, I don't think we should be funding companies overseas in the first place, but if we ARE going to do so we shouldn't be excluding companies that perform or give information about abortions. Just so you know though, there's already a thread about this and this one might not be kept around for very long.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Dont forget how closely this coincides with the recent allowance of stem cell research. Coincidence?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Aren't there more serious and urgent issues?

I really wish our new president would focus on the economic crisis, and when time permits he can then undo all the work of other presidents.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

But stem cell research is going to provide fantastic medical benefits. It will help so many people. I've supported stem cell research for a very long time and I thought it was deplorable when there was a ban placed on that.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This is great .. Hopefully the "abstinence first" Program is soon to go . I heard there gonna start funding contraceptives again also .

This guy just keeps belting out the good news.. Cant wait to see what days 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Will bring

[edit on 23-1-2009 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

Something wrong with contraceptives? There are still counties in Florida that don't even teach that contraceptives EXIST. That's just wrong. Obviously that "abstinence first" thing ISN'T working...once you realize that, the only option is to encourage the use of contraceptives.

I don't understand what the big deal is. People have sex...people have always had sex...and people WILL always have sex. So, let's encourage the use of contraceptives so we don't have a bunch of teenage parents and babies born to people who can't raise children or live in desperate poverty.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

Did you really read my post ? Those words are in support of (Obama). Not against .. lol
I forgive you this time tho!

I had ever stared your post lol

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

Sorry

I thought you were being sarcastic. Misinterpretation on my part. It's probably because I've been hanging around a couple threads like this and have had a lot of similar used sarcasm thrown at me.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Well I do not like the fact that my tax dollars will now hep fund abortion.
It do NOT believe in it, yet my money helps pay for it? This sickens me

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
Aren't there more serious and urgent issues?

I really wish our new president would focus on the economic crisis, and when time permits he can then undo all the work of other presidents.

Please, be patient.

The economy can't be fixed with a single presidential issue, unlike this problem.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
Dont forget how closely this coincides with the recent allowance of stem cell research. Coincidence?

Dont get me wrong, I'm all about stem cell research, I was just pointing out the timing.....

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

No problem .. I understand 100000%

I have backed stemcells since day 1 .. Kinda always have had a "Waste not want not" approach to it ..
Hopefully one day the XXXtians can understand its not there place to decide!

edit: meh not worth it lol

[edit on 23-1-2009 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

No doubt. The president can't do anything about the crisis. It is the American people's fault for spending money they didn't have.

The only thing the president can do is try to control Congress from doing the same.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck
reply to post by asmeone2

No doubt. The president can't do anything about the crisis. It is the American people's fault for spending money they didn't have.

The only thing the president can do is try to control Congress from doing the same.

Yes I agree. It's a load of # to say that it was the creditor's fault. THey only profited because of the public's greed.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
lets see...compared to 100 years ago..ever since we instated sex education in the schools, legalized abortion, and began teaching protection instead of abstinence....teenage pregnancy has gone through the roof..in fact, its not even necessarily a bad thing anymore when a teen shows up pregnant, or a woman who is not married shows up pregnant..but yes..of course..all these things are good things...well, we said he would be the abortion president and looks like we were right..quite frankly I'm sick of my money going for taxes that aren't any help to the actual american people..so..i think I'll quit working and reap the beneifts of unemployment, welfare, foodstamps, wic and medicaid for awhile..after all if I'm going to work just to pay for abortions and abortion information..then maybe all the abortionist can work to pay my bills instead now..yes that sounds much much better to me.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I think what people need to understand is that places like Planned Parenthood are NOT abortion clinics, there is no such thing. These are reproductive health facilities, and they deal with contraception, STD information, pregnancy information, and other sexual education. Which is BADLY needed in this country. Abortion are performed only after the clinicians offer a variety of different options. You can't just go to PP and say "suck it out now!" it doesn't work that way. Bush is a religious ideologue and his policies are based around that. All Bush was doing was pushing his religious brand of morality on everyone else.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
Well I do not like the fact that my tax dollars will now hep fund abortion.
It do NOT believe in it, yet my money helps pay for it? This sickens me

Well I don't like the fact that my money goes to by bombs that blow up civilians.

In fact I have a list of things I do not like...

Well now you know how the last eight have felt for many of us... It sucks, don't it?

I wish you could have yer own land and I could have mine.SORRY

<<   2 >>

join