It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars polar water is pure: Study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Radar data sent back by the US Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) point to 95 percent purity in this deposit, France's National Institute of Sciences of the Universe (Insu) said in a press release.

Source.

Remember "War of the Worlds" where the aliens were kicking butt until they drank the water? It's was the bugs in the water that did them in. The Microbes.

I have to wonder if the same scenario awaits those who try to colonize Mars. Man gets there and sure, at first we go to extremes to purify the stuff, but over time we'll get lazy as someone always does. Then look out.

Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Like can only affect like, can't it?
I was always under the impression if we were to come across life- Should we have different origins, in no way connected; nothing between us would be biologically compatable.
Which stands to mean, nothing could go wrong.
Their germs wouldn't hurt us, and like wise our germs wouldn't hurt them.

I'd always been under the impression poison from snakes, scorpions, things like the black plague, or, measels- Everything on Earth, can affect it's living neighbour, because we all share similar genetics?
Y'know what I mean?
We have the genetic markers to respond to the snake bites venom, because we all have DNA which at one point or another, was spawned from the same origin?

Though I could very likely be wrong.
Someone with a better background in biology should try to tackle this one.
I was just always under the impression, like creates like, and like affects like

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dewm0nster

I've read similar hypotheses in science mags from astrobiologists. However we really don't know yet. It would be nice if space exploration got a bigger budget so we could find these things out, and finally start the process of colonizing other planetary bodies in our solar system.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Thanks Optimus.
I've never researched the topic, I just remember my grade twelve biology teacher saying that like creates and affects like.
So when I would watch things like Star Trek, or movies- Nothing they did when it came to eating alien food, or worrying about contamination made sense. (But then, in Star Trek all species has the same ancestors, but, you get my point.)

Anyways, thanks for the post fella.

new topics

top topics

join