It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Authorises Missile Attack on Pakistan -10 Killed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well he didn't wait long, did he?

Following on from the precedent set by G.W.Bush of attacking the Pakistan Border region with Afghanistan and the surrounding Areas, to hunt for "Terrorist's" it is being Reported that up to 10 people have been killed by a Missile from a US plane or Drone- as its breaking no confirmation yet, of which.

Looks like he has authorised the 31st such attack into the Pakistan Nation State, even though protests from the Pakistan authorities have been strong to date, and hope was brewing for a change in the foreign affairs tactics of the new administration.

SLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) — Missiles fired from a suspected U.S. spy plane killed 10 people Friday in Pakistan just east of the Afghan border, a lawless region where al-Qaida militants are known to hide out, security officials said.

AP

Pakistani leaders had expressed hope Obama would halt the attacks, more than 30 of which have been launched since the middle of last year, reportedly killing several senior militants.

CBS

and further:

An intelligence officer says at least 5 of the dead are identified as foreign militants.

Kris TV

Intelligence for whom though? The US probably.

Still means that 5 like in previous attacks could be innocent villagers or civilians.

With Obama wanting to increase troop levels in the Afghan Region this is certainly a clear message of his intended course of action in this area.

Very worrying and it certainly shows that there is not that much difference between him and the previous regime, ahem sorry Administration.

I am sure they are very angry about this in Islamabad.

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 23-1-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
what is obama ?? is he nuts ??

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I'm sure that this was one of those 'Shows of power' that a new POTUS has to do to try to look tough.

I approve of hitting Pakistan.
But I'm sure the motivation wasn't all 'keep America safe'.

Clinton did the same type of thing - firing off Cruise missiles after each encounter with Monica and her kneepads.

Perhaps Obama was burning off some of the excess energy he soaked up from the inauguration - burned it off Clinton style.

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
there is not that much difference between him and the previous regime,

I agree with you on this.

Originally posted by sadchild01
what is obama ?? is he nuts ??

Not a nut.
A bildeberger tool.

[edit on 1/23/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Nobody should judge him until they themselves sit behind the BIG desk.
It was only a matter of time before we started seeing this. Once he started getting information from everything from the daily headaches to top secret briefings.

I Don’t think he realized he will not be able to maintain a lot of what he said during the elections now that he is getting the real info.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Suspected US missile strike kills 10 in Pakistan

Your headline is a blatant LIE.

The above quote should have been posted as the headline!

There is no place in any of these articles that post in ANY WAY that President Obama authorized ANYTHING - much less this trash you're putting together.

They cannot even prove (as of now) the plane was American! (Though they *suspect* it was a drone)...

Stop the propaganda please.

peace

[edit on 23-1-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
Well he didn't wait long, did he?

Well this knee-jerk Liberal says, "He couldn't afford to, could he?"

Whether or not we ought to be there, fact is that we are, and it behooves the new guy to fire a shot across the bows of the bad guys, just to make sure everybody understands each other. Call it creating an incentive to parlay.

An edit to say that the key phrase from the report is "The pro-U.S. government routinely protests them as a violation of the country's sovereignty, but most observers speculate it has an unwritten agreement allowing them to take place."

And one may be certain that Obama ok'ed this...otherwise whoever did would be on a plane to northern Alaska right now...in desert gear, to boot.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sadchild01

Does this surprise you? It shouldn't. Obama has been signaling his intent to take a tough stance toward Pakistan for over a year.

Obama's statements on Pakistan from 2007.

But he's a man of peace. Yes sir.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
it behooves the new guy to fire a shot across the bows of the bad guys,

Yes. Exactly. The new POTUS has to show some military flexing of the muscles. It's expected. I'm sure one of his advisors told him to toss a cruise missile or two somewhere, somewhere that the 'right' would appreciate.

Politics as usual.

I'm just surprised that he did this and did it correctly.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
He's doing just what he said he would do. Expect it to go much further.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The timing with "Gates Alleged arm twisting" is now suspicious. But Obama had said he would expand the war in this area near the Pakistan border. And with recent threats by these terrorists may not have been taken very well by the military, regardless of Obama.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Suspected US missile strike kills 10 in Pakistan

Your headline is a blatant LIE.

Don't shoot the messenger look at the links.

There is no place in any of these articles that post in ANY WAY that President Obama authorized ANYTHING - much less this trash you're putting together.

Do you really believe that only the 31st such attack on Pakistan went ahead without Obama allowing it to happen and authorising it?

If so you are very naive to how military operations of this sort take place and the chain of command of using live rounds as such in countries that you are not at war with or occupying, A state of War or occupation does not exist between Pakistan and the USA therefore it would be impossible for the General or whatever to fire one without presidential approval.

They cannot even prove (as of now) the plane was American! (Though they *suspect* it was a drone)...

Umm I think if it was India or china we would be seeing massive amounts of Missiles and planes heading there way now dont you?

Nobody else has the capability in the area!

Nobody else has the precedent.

Stop the propaganda please.

Look in a mirror, its just the truth.

peace

Wish the new Administration held that view!!!

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I agree with you 200% !!!! I will never forget the vast difference in that man's appearance the day after he got his first security briefing after winning the election.

CNN is just now announcing the air strikes as I type!

We are not privy to security and it is hard to judge the rhyme and reason of this sort of thing. He made no bones about going after Al Queda and Bin Laden. No matter what he does, someone will be pissed off.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I agree, no where in the article does it mention Obama, except that Pakastani leaders hoped Obama would stop the attacks. Also it says SUSPECTED US attack. You sir are jading this news.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
First missile hits area known to be a Taliban strong hold. Killing ten people.

There were two more mentioned but no further information was given on the other two.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
First, this is breaking news, details unconfirmed and it's all "speculation".

Second, Obama never said that he would stop all military action anywhere, did he?

As far as I can see, Obama repeatedly stated that there would be more diplomacy than military attack to deal with international relations. One drone attacking a suspected militant base is hardly going back on that statement is it?

I would expect that Obama will shortly state the reason for this attack, if he authorized it.

Regardless, I would expect all the Obama-haters out there to jump on this, as though Bush never did such a thing, and use it in every way possible.

It's quite pathetic really.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
I would expect all the Obama-haters out there to jump on this, as though Bush never did such a thing, and use it in every way possible.

Actually, what it looks like is those who don't like Obama will approve (and say it's an obvious political move) and those that DO like him will kinda be in a state of dismay. My prediction is just the opposite.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Regardless, I would expect all the Obama-haters out there to jump on this, as though Bush never did such a thing, and use it in every way possible.

Assuming Obama-haters are Bush-supporters = stupid

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
I agree, no where in the article does it mention Obama, except that Pakastani leaders hoped Obama would stop the attacks. Also it says SUSPECTED US attack. You sir are jading this news.

CNN
Seems to disagree with you.
It was only a matter of time.
Once the briefings started he would have a change not the one he wanted but change none the less.

I wonder why people are getting so defensive.
What Obama is not the President? He doesn’t get daily briefings on things we have no clue about? He as the Commander in Chief whether Democrat or Republican will do what is needed. Even if it’s not popular!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I wonder why people are getting so defensive.
What Obama is not the President? He doesn’t get daily briefings on things we have no clue about? He as the Commander in Chief whether Democrat or Republican will do what is needed. Even if it’s not popular!

It is rather obvious why they are becoming defensive over it. They've built up the myth of Obama as a peacenik so much that they cannot even begin to fathom that he would authorize something like this. No matter that he actually told everyone he would do this.

I'm not criticizing the man for it, mind you. I have no idea why he authorized this strike and it may well have been justified. I'm just laughing my butt off over it because all of those that *ignored* his statements on Pakistan during the campaign are squirming big time now that they've gotten a good dose of reality.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

There is no proof from any source, reliable or not, President Obama authorized anything.

They have no proof (at this point) the plane (don’t even know if it’s a drone or not) is of US origin.

Yes, I know President Obama's stand on Pakistan.

Which only goes to prove both these posts are false and misleading.

* If President Obama would have Authorized the strikes he’d be the first one to tell the US about it!

There is enough confusion going on in the world these days without adding to it - especially just to get a star or two on ATS for heaven’s sake.

PEACE!

Edit: * (meaning) News release from the White House.

And if any of you think a President who's not been in office 48 hours would authorize a strike on another country and not release the information to the public via the White House press???

NOW who's talking naive.

rotfl

[edit on 23-1-2009 by silo13]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join