It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does time seem to speed up as you age?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I think most people would agree that as you get older time seems to go faster. Why is that?

Remember when you were young how long the summer seemed to last? Now it seems so short.

At least for me it seems as i get older time just gets faster and faster. I was in high school 15 years ago already. It seems like yesterday.

Do you feel the same way?

If so why do you think we percieve time as speeding up. It doesn't seem to make sense does it?

Its a topic I think most people acknowledge happening but rarely if ever discuss the reason behind the phenomenon.

Your opinions?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
I think most people would agree that as you get older time seems to go faster. Why is that?

Remember when you were young how long the summer seemed to last? Now it seems so short.

At least for me it seems as i get older time just gets faster and faster. I was in high school 15 years ago already. It seems like yesterday.

Do you feel the same way?

If so why do you think we percieve time as speeding up. It doesn't seem to make sense does it?

Its a topic I think most people acknowledge happening but rarely if ever discuss the reason behind the phenomenon.

Your opinions?

Perception. Time is all a perception to the brain.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Fractions actually, when you were five a year was 1/5 of your life as opposed to when your twenty its only 1/20

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I think it is the patterns. When you are young everything is new.

After so many Christmas trees, they start to seem the same, and come around very quick.

The trick is to try to find new things to experience in life.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
It's a simple matter of percentages.
When you are 10, 5 years is 50% of your life. When you are 50, 5 years is 10% of your life.

awww, maaaan. Too slow...again.
That's another thing about getting older.

[edit on 1/16/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
If I remember my Basic Human Psychology Class, it has to do with the perception of the "Percentage of Experienced Life"

In other words when a 10 year old "lives" through one year, they are Experiencing 1/10th of their lifetime. Which in a concept of reality is quite a large perceived time frame.

When say a 50 year old "lives' through one year, they are Experiencing 1/50th of their lifetime. A much shorter segment of time.

Time being a constant, the perception is as we grow older, time as it is perceived, speeds up....

Semper

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Maybe watch this.
Michio Kaku does many videos on time.
Enjoy.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

It speeds up becouse you are growing...

you are about to exspire

much like the universe

i dont want get into it but whatever.. had a bad day and tbh reading some posts about the end date of the world didnt help my brain.

STOP TALKING ABOUT END DATES FFS!!

sorry just wanted to rant

But good thread ill give you a star becouse u didnt say OMG WE ARE ALL DOOMED and give some pointless date

man i hate dooms day people

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I think time seems to speed up regardless of age. You could stay the same age and time would be seeming to increase more and more. Everyone has always said time seems to be speeding up and have just attributed it to their personal age. Well look at history in general: Doesn't it seem like more and more things are happening as time moves on? A thousand years ago they were locked in one battle of a war for a hundred years and in the last hundred years they has been like 7 major wars? Hundred years of technology in the last century has taken us from steam to particle accelerators, internet, 3dtv, and rocket ships while a hundred years of development a thousand years ago might have been a new type of compass and that's it.

link   
How serendipitous. I just today read an article that gives the answer to your question. I am including the link along with the YouTube link to the video that corresponds to the article which I thought was extremely interesting.

www.jayweidner.com...

www.youtube.com...
6 parts. Watch all six.

link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Time is not constant...

sorry just had to point that out

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
It is not percentages, it is just the thought of what have you really done with your life, and you look back at the monotony, the routines with which you relived the same event over and over again throughout your life and you think why did I waste so much time? But you didn't really, no not really, everyday is a new day and the rest of your life starts right now. If you realize you aren't doing what you could be doing to live happier, then life gets a little shorter, because you are not really living. Children are always learning new things, living life to the fullest, so they max out on life potential. Adults get a little careless with life, they stop learning so much and start getting a little confused and lost, and before you know it you're old. But it doesn't have to be that way if you don't want it to.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Actually as a perception, time is perfectly constant.

Basic Physics ...

Plancks Constant

As you can clearly see via the equations on that site, time is the only constant in relation to each of our individual bodies as they relate to "all" bodies of mass in the universe.

Einstein had some things correct

Semper

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
whatever

so does time speed up when you are on the event of a black hole?

noPe its not

time is a preception of being alive... dont confuse the two

and yes he was correct but lets face it so did the guy who said the world was flat

becouse it is.... untill you see the bigger pitcure

btw phyics and maths is what i live for

and i still dont see them as being right alot of the times

But Time is not constant.. its a virealble

constant not vieribale yes

its in a calcualtion givien a value based on set paramater

next question?

Is it possible for a cat to be both dead and alive? Well, if there's no decoherence, quantum mechanics allows for the cat to be in a superposition of dead and alive. Welcome to the often counter-intuitive world of quantum mechanics.

Just to rattle that head

Its not constant it just can have a precived property of being constant

its called being alive...

[edit on 16-1-2009 by theresult]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Is time a constant?!
I don't know, but I do know that
the satellites orbiting the earth need to be
re calibrated every so often because they
fall out of sync from our clocks on earth.

It's fractions of a second. However they
do pass time differently.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I always thought time was an illusion bought on 3rd density existences such as our own, although we are in the 4th dimension as well. apparently to the mayan calendar time is speeding up .... fast.

www.mayanmajix.com...

I'm not going to educate or debate this, but you guys certainly can see a whole understanding of this time (or end of time) as we know it. NOT end of the world, end of time as we perceive it.

Now I believe the Galactic cycle began in 1989. The next and last cycle begins in 2010 or 2011 (not sure) , and basically the g-force of our leaning curve will be extensive, and if you are not ready for this 'shift' or fight it, your head will literally "pop" due to the enormous volume of information/technologies unveiled to us all. It sure will be a sight watching all the skeptics. But rest assured, you will still be loved and helped through this evolution by kind (and often ridiculed) persons with this knowledge.

Buckle in, things are gonna get funky (in a good way) sooner than later.

wZn

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Maybe it just seems like time is speeding up as we get older, as our brain cells are expiring/dying at an accelerated rate as we age also.

Maybe having more brain cells that are being used in youth slows down time and having less as we age speeds time up.

Think of it like a computer. You accumulate a lot of stuff on it that slows it down until you delete stuff you don't need/use anymore and do a defrag to compact what it is left. What happens? Your comp goes a lot faster. Viola!!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
the fact is we are only going to understand our own importance...

If the end of the world as we know it.. as follows

Desrtuction

or

Utiopa

take your pic....

or shall we keep asking what one we infact want?

That is why we are in the mess we are in... we can have hell OR heaven

we just keep talking about them both and not DOING ANYTHING1!!!

lazy site bulider with his ass crack hanging out who does not want to work

thats what the human race is.. lazy arse stupid... ARRGG why am i stuck wiht u lot :<

sometimes i feel honestly im stuck with u guys for some unknow reason to me.. but i am

its like everyone keeps asking sh# that makes no sens and we wont ever find out but the most important question we fail to ask is

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT BEING ALIVE??

there i said it.. "rant 404"

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

lol that so made me laugh

but ur correct haha

its the tipping point.. you grow old fast and die young "i know that makes 0 sens" but its true

the universe is doing the same thing its gettting fassster as its about to well.. die

just like me and you

TIME IS NOT CONSTANT!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join