It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Information Adverts / short films. UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Hi all.

When I was growing up in the 80's I remember alot of Public Information films about teenager's and children's safety.

One of many was the Charley says adverts that told you to always tell your mother where you're going and never talk to strangers.

Another one was aimed at youngsters about when riding a bike, be seen.
There was a catchy little song that mentioned paint your bike white and make yourself seen.

Even at the end of some cartoons especially MASK, the young boy and his robot always told you do not do this like stick a fork in the toaster etc.

Why did these educational films stop ??? Seeing that these days our govt ( UK ) seem to want to control or have a part in everything you and your family do.

What do you guys remember from the public safety films.

Do you get any public safety films over there in the US still aimed at keeping kids safe ???

Colec

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

Wow - this brings hell of a lot back! Charley and his fish eating cat... blast from the past

And the "moral" ending to all those cartoons! How do kids manage to live without the life-guiding snippets offered by He-Man?

Back on track...

It is a bit bizarre that these types of things have been pulled, especially as the UK is nanny central. It would certainly offer the Government etc a medium of information that I would have thought they'd lap up.

The adverts I do see appear to be targetted at the older age group - turning out your Christmas lights, putting out your fags etc.

I wonder if there's a correlation between the increase of crime/anti-social behaviour and the reduction of such "moral" guidance previously embedded in our psyche at a young age

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

Indeed it does seem strange that during the 80's we were bombarded with well being info and now kids get nothing from cartoons etc.

Again like you say I would have thought that the UK govt would have lapped it all up, but hey maybe it's the cost ???

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

Something you may find interesting: National Archives

We must have grown up with a decade of repeats - most of the ones I remember were made between 1964 & 1979, and yet I grew up in the 80's... Seems that cost was on their mind even back then

P.S. I'd forgotten all about Tufty and the Ice Cream van!

top topics

join