It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic Radio Noise Booms Six Times Louder Than Expected

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I came accross this interesting article:Cosmic Radio Noise Booms Six Times Louder Than Expected
Sorry if it has been discussed previously

Loud sounds tend to startle us. But imagine being surprised by a sound six times louder than you expect. A balloon-borne instrument called ARCADE, (Absolute Radiometer for Cosmology, Astrophysics, and Diffuse Emission) was supposed to be used to search for heat signature from the first stars to form after the Big Bang. Instead it found an unexplained "booming" radio static that fills the sky. In July 2006, the instrument launched from NASA's Columbia Scientific Balloon Facility in Palestine, Texas, and flew to an altitude of 61,000 meters (120,000 feet) where the atmosphere thins into the vacuum of space. Its mission lasted four hours. The team, led by Alan Kogut of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center said they found the radio noise almost immediately. "We were calibrating the instrument, and we saw this big point in the graph. I said, 'What the heck is this — this shouldn't be here.' We spent the next year trying to make that point go away, but it didn't."

I am supprised these radio signals were not picked up by SETI?

Detailed analysis has ruled out an origin from primordial stars, user error or a mis-identified galactic emission, and the scientists are sure there isn't more radio sources than we expect. "Radio source counts are well known and they don't even come close to making up the detected background," said Kogut. "New sources, too faint to observe directly would have to vastly outnumber the number everything else in the sky." Dale Fixsen of the University of Maryland at College Park, added that to get the signal they detected, radio galaxies would have to be packed "into the universe like sardines," he said. "There wouldn't be any space left between one galaxy and the next."

"We don't really know what this signal is," said Seiffert. "We're relying on our colleagues to to study the data and put forth some new theories."

What are your theories?

[edit on 7-1-2009 by rattan1]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Galactic Neighbors having a party?!

I wanna hear it.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Maybe the sound is amplified by the magnetic field that surrounds Earth and that varies through time. I don't know if I can take this forum anymore.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I also started a thread on this after not coming up with this one on a search, anyhow how cool is this? I think six times louder should tell us something, what I don't know but something is making this noise What is the question

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
'What the heck is this — this shouldn't be here.' We spent the next year trying to make that point go away, but it didn't."

hahahaha

THEY SPENT A YEAR MAKING IT GO AWAY.. great

and now you know why we are DUMB oh dont understand the problem MAKE IT GO AWAY I CANT COPE IT MAKES NO SENS..

No you are just to stupid.. man i hate people who think they are smart becouse they have bits o paper..

and inflict the dumbness on others

btw great thread s+f

just to add

was supposed to be used to search for heat signature from the first stars to form after the Big Bang

That wat is was made to do...

Sound is heat? Booming? They heard the big bang lol ? or some massive star going nova who knows

But it was measured in HEAT.. not sound..

[edit on 8-1-2009 by theresult]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rattan1

... added that to get the signal they detected, radio galaxies would have to be packed "into the universe like sardines," he said. "There wouldn't be any space left between one galaxy and the next.

plasma/electric universe theory states that red shift has nothing to do with speed/distance, only with how old the object is and how much electrical energy it consist...

so, if this is true, the universe is much smaller than mainstream science is trying to theorize

and if it is true than maybe the universe is packed like sardines and this radio noise boom is maybe yet another proof the electric universe theory is right

cheers

[edit on 8-1-2009 by donhuangenaro]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by theresult

hahahaha

THEY SPENT A YEAR MAKING IT GO AWAY.. great

and now you know why we are DUMB oh dont understand the problem MAKE IT GO AWAY I CANT COPE IT MAKES NO SENS.

You misunderstand. This is the scientific method.

I'll explain with the help of Sherlock Holmes. Remember what he told Watson: 'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

So you're a young scientist, listening in on the universe through your radiosonde balloon, and your instruments suddenly pick up a huge signal out of empty space, where no signal is expected to be. Your heart leaps, your mind starts racing. You've made a new astronomical or cosmological discovery. Maybe it's the signal we're all waiting to hear - the first call from another intelligence Out There. Even if it isn't something so spectacular, just some - I don't know, previously unknown solar wind effect or something - your reputation is still made. They'll name the thing after you for sure. You can barely contain your excitement.

But you're a scientist, and after the first rush of ecstasy your training in the scientific method takes over. You have to convince the world that the thing you've found is real, whatever it is. Convincing the world, as any ATS conspiracy buff knows, is hard. Hardest of all to convince are your fellow scientists - they're going to pick your data over with a fine-tooth comb. If there's the slightest hint of error, you're toast.

And you know - from years of unpleasant personal experience - how easy it is to be wrong. Your 'signal' may be a fault in the equipment, a software glitch, a programming error, or interference from the local radio-cab company. It may be one of those modern demons called 'data artifacts'. It could be a hundred and one things.

So like Sherlock Holmes, you go through all the possibilities, eliminating them one by one - 'trying to make that peak disappear'. You check the equipment, reload the software, do everything you have to do. You're meticulous. And with each possibility you eliminate, your conviction grows stronger - this is the real thing.

Finally, it all checks out. There really is a signal. You can now announce your discovery to the world. And when you do, you do it with pride. You tell people how hard you worked on it, how real you know it is. You say, 'We tried for a whole year to make that peak disappear, and what do you know, it's still there! We're on to something here, boys!'

That's the spirit in which those words should be interpreted, I believe.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by donhuangenaro

Originally posted by rattan1

... added that to get the signal they detected, radio galaxies would have to be packed "into the universe like sardines," he said. "There wouldn't be any space left between one galaxy and the next.

plasma/electric universe theory states that red shift has nothing to do with speed/distance, only with how old the object is and how much electrical energy it consist...

so, if this is true, the universe is much smaller than mainstream science is trying to theorize

and if it is true than maybe the universe is packed like sardines and this radio noise boom is maybe yet another proof the electric universe theory is right

cheers

[edit on 8-1-2009 by donhuangenaro]

It is small indeed... very # small

Cell theory tells you how small it is... tho im guessing you will flame me for my theory based on mathmatics

THe bOOM was in Heat.. Not sound "you dont get sound in space" well not that we know of unless you are deff so it wont matter llol

What are this crazy lot doing in the labs? looking for what?

Read this again

wouldn't be any space left between one galaxy and the next

what is space??? lol We are IN AN OBJECT the stupid man ... and they only got the BOOM becouse they did infact NOT want to find it.. ie

IT WAS A MISTAKE on there part.. I dunno its all dumb boom this boom that crap...

we are in a living thing.. BOOM that

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

yes and the truth was a BOOM that they tried to make go away becouse it made no sens...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to edit

They "nasa" sent this up to measuer HEATE not sound.. read the aritcal NOT SOUND HEAT..

Then they got a large feed back via there intruments "larger" 6x larger infact than what they "expected" mathmatical caluclations / predictied this ... god neways..

The point is THEY DIDNT KNOW WHAT IT WAS.. OR why IT was so large ..

What question did they ask for IT to measure the suns right after the big bang,, ect

point is they tried to make sens of this thing and couldnt then came up with something that "fitted" in with there understanding of what the information was telling..

Not like they knew what it ment as the artical points out..

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

was supposed to be used to search for heat signature from the first stars to form after the Big Bang

Heat not sound...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

It measured electro magnetic waves not sound waves... its something you learn in chemistry. And the waves were stronger than anything they expected that's why its said to be six times as loud.

iragamiText Red

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Heat not sound...

There is no air in space. Therefore there cannot be sound in space.

When things get hot, they give off electromagnetic radiation. So when you go looking for heat in space, what you really go looking for is electromagnetic waves.

Things that are really, really hot give off very, very high-frequency radiation. Cooler things radiate at lower frequencies. Really cool things radiate at what we call radio frequencies. Here's a chart of the electromagnetic spectrum (with corresponding temperatures) which might make things clearer.

The heat left over from the Big Bang isn't much. The Big Bang has cooled down a lot in 13 billion years. This heat is called the cosmic microwave background. You can't 'see' it with telescopes or gamma-ray detectors. You need to use a radio antenna, tuned to microwave frequencies. Lots of other stuff, like radio galaxies, radiate at even lower frequencies than this - at radio frequencies, as you might guess from the name.

These guys were looking for stuff emitting heat at radio frequencies.

Now, you know how we turn radio frequencies into sound. We use a radio.

So when they got this crazy radio signal they put it through a speaker and that's the roar they heard, when all they were expecting was the much softer sound (of the heat) of stars formed soon after the Big Bang.

Hope that made sense.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
They measure Heat using sound

Read the artical AGAIN>>>

was supposed to be used to search for heat signature from the first stars to form after the Big Bang. Instead it found an unexplained "booming" radio static that fills the sky.

Unexplained Booming ... hence they was not looking for IT but it showed up when they was looking for "heat signature from the first stars to form after the Big Bang"

its like looking for your car key and finding the front door key lol...

What is interesting is the size of the heat signiture and were did that come from???

Now thats interesting they was looking for suns not "sound" as it words BOOMING...

dont confuse BOOM with Sound they mean it BOOMED onto the screen lol BIg spike BOOOM not sound boom ect...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

They measure Heat using sound

Read the artical AGAIN>>>

All right, Consequential One, have it your way.

Hope some of the other thread readers gained something from our little exchange.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
So please educate a noob

Could the result that was 6 times the expection have been influenced by the apparent large hole they found in the magnestosphere? Or am I talking about something else entirely?

Sorry, I love learning this stuff, but I'm very wet behind the ears when it comes to this topic.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It must be the sound of Planet X approaching

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
So, they made this experiment in 2006. And only released the data two-and-a-half years later. I wonder why, or have they perhaps run out of news stories?

After looking at the structure of the ARCADE probe, I've come to some conclusions. They may be wrong of course.

The black sky noise temperature that the radiometers (very sensitive radio noise receivers) measure, is calibrated using an external blackbody calibrator that is cooled close to 2.7K temperature. This is basically the same idea as on some large radio telescopes. However, if the calibrator is - for some reason - at slightly lower temperature than it is supposed to be, all signals from the sky would appear "louder" than they actually are as they were calibrated using an incorrect reference noise standard. The warmer the calibrator is, the more it emits radio frequency noise. And the cooler it is, the less noise it emits. There could have been some unprecedented inaccuracies in the calibrator temperature measurement, which may have resulted in noise levels higher than expected measured in the sky.

The ARCADE supposedly measured a doughnut-shaped piece of sky as its antennas had quite a wide beam and the instrument rotated all the time around its vertical axis. Therefore it was basically measuring a large chunk of the sky, not a single point. Still it was measuring a higher-than-expected background noise level from this entire area. This elevated noise level has not been measured using earth-bound radio telescopes, although they have their limits of measuring very low noise temperatures due to the radio noise created by the lower atmosphere.

One option would be that they were playing with HAARP just at the same time as the ARCADE experiment was taking place. As the HAARP is supposed to be an ionospheric heater, it would probably have resulted in somewhat elevated radio noise levels if any precise black sky background noise measurements had taken place at the same time.

But of course, the overall background noise level of the deep space might actually be a couple of decibels higher than it is supposed to be. This can only be verified with a precise instrument that is located high enough and has narrow-beam antennas that can be turned to any direction at will: a space-borne radio telescope. With this instrument it would be possible to find out if there are locations with considerably higher background noise or if the noise is uniform. I don't now remember if there have been any such satellites to this day, but at least the Russians were supposed to launch their Radioastron satellite already in the 1990s. So far they haven't. More than ten years ago I used to work for a very small Finnish company who designed the 22 GHz radiometer for that exact satellite...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is just another proof that we know very little of the entire Universe. All we have are just theories that collapse every time we discover something new. As mentioned in the Article, the information was released after 2 years…. I wonder how many more unexplained discoveries they have made and not disclosed just because it might put into question common believe and theories?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by biomehanika
This is just another proof that we know very little of the entire Universe. All we have are just theories that collapse every time we discover something new. As mentioned in the Article, the information was released after 2 years…. I wonder how many more unexplained discoveries they have made and not disclosed just because it might put into question common believe and theories?

The powers that be don't do things half-way, so you can bet that ALL the unexplained discoveries they have made and not disclosed because it might put into question common belief and shake the foundation of what we believe keeps us safe.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Acts 2
19 And I will show wonders in the heavens above
and signs on the earth below,
blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke;
20 the sun shall be turned to darkness
and the moon to blood,
before the day of the Lord comes, the great and magnificent day.
21 And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.'

top topics

<<   2 >>

join