It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Closing the Collapse Gap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I searched through the boards and I found one reference to this, but it was never linked and the title was wrong. Some of his essays have been posted in the Survival side of the house, but in terms of Global Meltdown, I though this document should be shared.

Undoubtedly, many of you have heard of things like the "Missile Gap" and the "Bomber Gap" from Cold War days. Erroneously, I've heard repeated -even on this bulletin board- that the collapse of the US will be like the collapse of the Soviet Union (SU). This is incorrect, and Dmitry Orlov will field why in his famous posting: Closing the Collapse Gap.

Those of you in non-US countries should probably think about how anchored you are to the US economy. When we go down, we're dragging you with us. Most foreign governments are going bankrupt about the same time ours is. Don't believe me? Have a look at this article from SafeHaven.com and the public debt numbers from the CIA World Fact Book.

The United States is #27 in terms of the public debt as a percentage of the GDP. Some notable countries ahead of the US are: France (23), Canada (22), Germany (20), Israel (15), Norway (13), and Japan (3).

In terms of external debt as a US dollar amount the US is #1, followed by the UK, Germany, France, and so on.

What does this mean? Well, it means we're in some serious trouble. All of us. Even countries that are exporting to the debt-laden countries will be devoid a customer for their goods once their consumers go bankrupt. This means not as much revenue, the economic woes infect your economy, and the 'downturn' is at your house. Domestic consumption could certainly remain, but the money won't be rolling in.

So check out Closing the Collapse Gap by Dmitry Orlov.

I'll post in the Survival section a follow-on I have in mind.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I like your style. quick and to the point. This is something I've even sort of drawn a blue print for, and I have yet to be wrong. Every step is predictable when you figure out the machine.

I'll point you to my following posts:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is happening now. Next is the credit card crunch..That's 50 million Americans affected. Gas shortages due to inflation and OPEC flow control measures(And we though Saudi Arabia were "friends"). By this time the economies of Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Venezuela, and a few other oil producers will be using currencies backed by high value gold reserves bought with American dollars when they were still worth something, Oil because of huge American demand, and weapons. With technology and scientific know-how coming from China, and Russia. The Franklin Mint has stopped issuing gold to anyone who isn't a high paying government or individual. Some Gold Reserves in the US are even dry.

They are now advertising silver on TV, which will be the next precious metal to make a flight out of America. Along with platinum, and palladium reserves. Russia and China are buying steel mills here in the US as well. The Arabs nations will likely be sold out shipping ports as America clamors for more useful currency to feed the consumerism.

The rest of us will either watch or revolt.

[edit on 28-12-2008 by projectvxn]

[edit on 28-12-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I just read an essay by Dmitry Orlov yesterday and enjoyed it immensely. This guy went through the Soviet collapse and draws some interesting and down to earth conclusions about our future in the United States and perhaps other countries around the world as the post Cold War bubble culture pops for good. Well for now anyway, folks like Rinehart may argue that this happens over and over throughout recorded history, which it does, but we only live so long and only experience our individual life windows.

This is a long read but very worthwhile. Kind of a map of which roads to avoid as the ECONOMY collapses around us. Dmitry makes it clear that that does not necessarily mean the break up of the United States.

The essay/blog/transcript is here.

As a bonus here is the video of the talk or the man that I haven't even finished yet.

Anyway, my highest recommendation. Live well.

[edit on 3/8/09 by stikkinikki]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
[...] . Dmitry makes it clear that that does not necessarily mean the break up of the United States.

The essay/blog/transcript is here.

thanks for the above link,

i found Dimitri's thought processes righ-on-target...
probably because i too was once a refugee to America from a DP camp
way of life.

its a possibility that most all of society will become Displaced Persons
in the not too distant future...(i use the authors half-decade window..)

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Star and Flag, good stuff there for sure.

This has happened before here and around the world.

The ponzi shell games of bait and switch, and then loot the treasury
as they depart to their green pastures.

If no one will take civilian justice to bernie madoff then I doubt anyone
will do anything to the other group of thieves that are giggling at us.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The rich are pretty blatant about it. I have seen several interviews on CNBC (via internet) in which they matter of factly state that this is now the Asia century. Britain had the 19th C, USA the 20th and now China and Asia in general. They are picking up stakes and moving to Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia etc. Quick like a band aid and they are gone.

You see they have spent the 20th century clearing the land and getting the raw materials out so now they can easier build infrastructure and start the bubble over there.

I just remembered I have to finish the video still. Bump I guess for others who haven't heard of or read Orlov's book or blog. He cuts through the crap and doesn't insert ridiculous 2012, apocalypse, earth changes BS.

The end of the world as we know it
but
the start of the world as we don't know it.

Maybe not a bad trade?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The video you point to stikkinikki is good.

He comes across as honest, sincere and sarcastic, -in a sort of 'supreme illustration of subtle humour' manor-, while relaying his points.

However, he never looked to be totally comfortable though during his speech, - being in front of audience/camera maybe?-, that makes him even more credible to me.

Anyone who sold up property, 2 to 2.5 years ago, based on their own gut feelings, - for a different lifestyle - , made a good call at that point in time?

top topics

join