It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 639
<< 636  637  638    640  641  642 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Well I do see they are not consistent! When you get to the World map it says

Worldwide earthquakes with M4.5+ located by USGS and Contributing Agencies.
(Earthquakes with M2.5+ within the United States and adjacent areas.)

Whereas the US map says

USA earthquakes with M1+ located by USGS and Contributing Agencies.

Other than that I could not say since that is the first time I have looked at those maps.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
"This has been a test. Only a test. Had this been a real event, you would have been advised to find your loved ones and give them a hug."

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Call me Carl Kolchak. He'd repeat the same story over and over again to anyone that would listen in hopes they would belive him. He presented the facts. The problem was that his facts seemed unbelievable.

Fact 1.

December 26, 2008, following a Full Moon on December 12th, a full moon which was at maximum perigee for the year, meaning it was at it's closest point at 356567km, a swarm under Yellowstone Lake began on the New Moon.

Fact 2.

On January 15th, during a New Moon, the second largest swarm ever recorded began moments after an annular eclipse crossed the opposite side of the world.

Fact 3.

On February 14th, during a New Moon there was a small swarm just to the north of the January swarm. There was a recent small swarm begining on a New Moon.

The Future.

Short term. We are approaching a new moon which I have a hunch about. Just interesting that's all. Worldwide quakes seem to be at a low point relatively speaking. Nothing extremely notable except for a large series off Yemen. It will be interesting to see if the activity picks up as we enter the days starting Nov. 30th until Dec. 5th. The only "real" activity lately at Yellowstone has a tiny swarm around YPP.

Long term. I've already previously mention that the lunar phenomeon which caused the two recent major swarms won't happen again until the year 2017 in December. So it's going to a long time until I can observe and test my hypothesis again.

Did you know that on August 21 2017, there will be a total eclipse of the sun that will pass over Yellowstone Park? The full shadow will be falling right along the park's southern edge.

So if you're planning a trip you may want to go during this time period and get a secondary treat. Provided it's not cloudy. Or you may not want to go during this period because you think of eclipses as bad omens. Information is power.

I'll save you reading my full account of what I think about this event in time and space. I'll just say that I think that the whole 2012 doomsday talk is all bunk.

It's the year 2017 that scares the hell out of me.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

No Robin, don't spare us reading that. Put it in Robinesque Ruminations.

Then only may be one or two will read it, but one will be me.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Robin Marks

No Robin, don't spare us reading that. Put it in Robinesque Ruminations.

Then only may be one or two will read it, but one will be me.

too late iv already read it PM, iv just been keeping my thoughts to my self these days . if i spot something noteworthy i will post it .

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

PuterMan you matter. We all matter. This is reality. Listen to me, we can join our parents. We can believe what Robin says. We have no limits.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Let's not believe me for the moment and rely on facts. Do your own research. I should have provided links before. So here's the path of the eclipse over Yellowstone's southern boundry.

www.exploratorium.edu...

en.wikipedia.org...:SE2017Aug21T.png

I don't have time at the moment to post my spectulative thoughts on the year 2017 in my crazy corner yet. But if you want to do some research on that time period. Here's a lunar calculator. Refer to the times of other swarms. And don't forget to factor in the perihelion of earth during the period from early December until early January.

www.fourmilab.ch...

www.astronomynotes.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov...
edit on 28-11-2010 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I told ya that things were quiet and they would pick back up on Nov. 30. The 6.6 mag that just rolled across the Yellowstone webicorder is the first larger one for a week. And it was relatively quiet the week before that. The moon is just now reaching perigee. If there's activity in the next few days at Yellowstone, I'm guessing it will showing up around Hebgen Lake.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I was right about the date, but my suggestion of location was wrong. It's the south that's becoming active.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Three days in a row and we've had three 6+ quakes worldwide after a "quiet spell".

It started Nov. 30th just as I said. I'm not pulling the dates out of my butt. You can predict earthquake behaviour by the cycle of the moon using a lunar calculator.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
related to the winter weather advisory (wind etc) or microseismicity?

quake.utah.edu...
quake.utah.edu...

not that it's all that dramatic either way, just curious what y'all think.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by quakewatcher

I looked at that today and zilch. Then I realised you posted yesterday so I look a look at that.

Yup wind I would say.

I have just added a ton of stuff on understanding seismograms in the learning links

In particular see the virtual course ware on earthquakes. You can even get yourself a certificate as a virtual seismologist!!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
A stack of quakes to the South of the park. Not at all remarkable (tiny) but look at the trend in the depths:

2.0 2010/12/06 12:13:45 44.099 -110.780 0.2 42 km ( 26 mi) NNE of Alta, WY
1.6 2010/12/03 19:23:40 44.093 -110.757 1.8 42 km ( 26 mi) NNE of Alta, WY
1.2 2010/12/01 22:27:03 44.835 -111.357 5.0 28 km ( 17 mi) NW of West Yellowstone, MT
1.6 2010/12/01 22:02:08 44.101 -110.770 7.4 42 km ( 26 mi) NNE of Alta, WY
1.2 2010/12/01 14:33:46 44.102 -110.757 6.8 43 km ( 27 mi) NNE of Alta, WY
2.3 2010/12/01 03:03:36 44.100 -110.764 7.3 42 km ( 26 mi) NNE of Alta, WY
1.1 2010/11/30 23:41:37 44.108 -110.765 7.0 43 km ( 27 mi) NNE of Alta, WY

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
@ Robin Marks. I have looked into the relationship of the Full Moon and the New Moon and Perigee and Apogee regarding earthquakes quite a bit and found that there are just as many quakes outside these paramaters than there is within them.
However I looked Globally and you are just looking at Yellowstone? (I haven't read the whole Yellowstone Topic)

FWIW the largest quake (that I have found so far) at Yellowstone was the
Mag 7.7, UTC 1959/8/18 6:37:13.5, 44.712, -111.215, 5, Hebgen Lake, Montana, USA, noaa

This earthquake caused 28 fatalities and about $11 million in damage. It is characterized by extensive fault scarps, subsidence and uplift, a massive landslide, and a seiche in Hebgen Lake. New fault scarps as high as 6 meters formed near Hebgen Lake. The major fault scarps formed along pre-existing normal faults northeast of Hebgen Lake. Subsidence occurred over much of an area that was about 24 kilometers north-south and about twice as long east-west. As a result of the faulting near Hebgen Lake, the bedrock beneath the lake was permanently warped, causing the lake floor to drop and generate a seiche. Maximum subsidence was 6.7 meters in Hebgen Lake Basin. About 130 square kilometers subsided more than 3 meters, and about 500 square kilometers subsided more than 0.3 meters. The earth-fill dam sustained significant cracks in its concrete core and spillway. Minor damage occurred throughout southern Montana, northeast Idaho, and northwest Wyoming. Felt as far as Seattle, Washington, Banff, Canada, Dickinson, North Dakota, and Provo, Utah. This area includes nine Western States and three Canadian Provinces. Aftershocks continued for several months

which according to www.moonconnection.com... was a day before a Full Moon, but I'm not sure exactly as the moon_phases thingy is set at NZ time for me, so the Full Moon could have actually been on the 18th UTC.
There is also some dispute about the location, as the USGS Centennial Catalogue has the location IN the Park at 44.548, -110.636

edit on 6-12-2010 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY MONTHLY UPDATE
Thursday, December 2, 2010 12:46 PM MST (Thursday, December 2, 2010 19:46 UTC)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (CAVW #1205-01-)
44°25'48" N 110°40'12" W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

During the month of November 2010, 96 earthquakes were located in the Yellowstone National Park region. The largest event was a magnitude 2.1 on November 6 at 8:51 PM MDT, located about 9 miles southeast of West Yellowstone, MT. This event was part of a small earthquake swarm recorded November 5 - 8 about 9 miles southeast of West Yellowstone, MT. The swarm contained 40 events with magnitudes 2.1 to 0.3.

Earthquake activity continues at background levels.

Ground Deformation Summary: Careful analysis of the Yellowstone GPS data shows that the period of accelerated Yellowstone caldera uplift, beginning in 2004, has decreased. Some GPS stations exhibit little change and others appear to reflect slight subsidence. A record of recent ground displacement can be found at:
pboweb.unavco.org...×eries=raw

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Why do I get the feeling that unavco are pretending that everything is back to normal?

GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS, VOL. 37, L23302, 6 PP., 2010

Geodetic measurements of Yellowstone ground deformation from 2006 to June 2010 reveal deceleration of the recent uplift of the Yellowstone caldera following an unprecedented period of uplift that began in 2004. In 2006–2008 uplift rates decreased from 7 to 5 cm/yr and 4 to 2 cm/yr in the northern and southwest caldera, respectively, and in 2009 rates further reduced to 2 cm/yr and 0.5 cm/yr in the same areas. Elastic-dislocation modeling of the deformation data robustly indicates an expanding sill at ∼7–10 km depth near the top of a seismically imaged, crystallizing magma reservoir, with a 60% decrease in the volumetric expansion rate between 2006 and 2009. Reduction of hydrothermal-volcanic recharge from beneath the northeast caldera and seismic moment release of the 2008 and 2010 large earthquake swarms are plausible mechanisms for decelerating the caldera uplift and may have influenced the change in recent caldera motion from uplift to subsidence.

So, does not that mean that most of the area that had and uplift since 2004, still are "uplifted"?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Roald

its highly possible , i mean the lack of concern over that huge bluge under the lake is of concern to me so im still worried about this thing going off in our life time.

iv just been recently keeping silent on the matter as the quakes are at a minium these past few weeks .

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Let me first explain that I am thinking differently at the moment. I am not make sense. Then again I may make more sense than usual. It's difficult to write at the moment because I may have a head injury. I smashed my finger in the top corner of a truck door. I put my finger between my legs and cupped my hands loosely around the injury and tried my best not to swear. I have a mild case of torrets and when I get going it is remarkable. I knew children and others were in the neighbourhood were within earshot so I grunt and muffled my screams. The pain was intense. Since I could swear, I held my hands together and waited until the initial nerve signals began to wane. I finally looked at my finger and realized that it was bleeding. I wasn't paniced and even let my finger bleed for a bit to flush out the wound. But then I looked between my legs and realized that my pants were soaked with blood. I was feeling faint as I did this so I decided to sit down. I had a panic attack realizing that I may need stiches. Apparently this was too much for me because I passed out. It was only yesterday that I got the full story. Luckily my friend was there and he helped. When I passed out I smashed my face on the corner of a 6X6 wooden beam. In the fog of the day before, I thought I had smashed my face on the snow and the abrasion on my face was a roadrash like injury from a chuck of ice or rough snow. I guess I hit my head really really hard. No wonder he was worried about me that night. I had actually passed out twice. The second time my friend steered me clear of the wooden beam. Anyways, I am just trying to put things in context.

I'm foggy. But thinking fairly clearly. Electro Shock Therapy works, it just to much collateral damage to memory.

I must state the my prediction was faulty. Faulty from the start and I am wrong. I will always admit an error. My whole hypothesis is based on the new moon at apogee following the full moon at perigee. I honestly don't know what the heck I was thinking. I had several things on my mind at the same time and I messed up. So forget anything I've said recently.

That's a great point that was just made suggesting that the 1959 Hebgen Lake quake was near a full moon. It was. The quake happened just before midnight and the moon was full, reaching 100 % full around 6 hours afterward. If it was a clear night, the moon would have been reflecting apon Hebgen Lake.

Yellowstone is not experiencing significant uplift, but nor is it in a state of subsidence. This means it has plateaued.

Here's some link that someone posted not long ago that show the moon's influence on quakes. There's more if you search.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

And, as it bulges upward, the hot spot expends 10 times more energy by gradually deforming Earth's crust at Yellowstone than by producing earthquakes. So, I'm saying that parts of the caldera are under pressure (read stress) and even "small" quakes weakens the "roof" more than we believe.

Right? Wrong?

top topics

<< 636  637  638    640  641  642 >>

join