It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who creates conspiricy theories?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I've been a member at this site for a while now, and I find many of the conspiracies interesting and some even more plausible than alternative versions of the truth, e.g. the annukai stuff over the bible.

However what I want to know is where most conspiracy theories start from. Are they actually drawn from any solid evidence or are most of them hearsay? The reason I ask is because alot of threads I have read on the boards which contain conspiracies appear to have many different versions of events and they also seem to lack continuity in what they say. Is it that people create them as fantasies to escape reality or do any of them contain concrete proof that can be verified as the truth.

Lately I have noticed many posts from people saying they are being followed by the government,normally by a big red van or a 1950's black car with blacked out windows or a big black helicopter...surely if the government were going to follow somebody they would do it far more inconspicuously. In my job part of my training involved undercover surveillance work and the main aim of the training was not to stand out in a crowd so if the government are following people then why would they use vehicles that are definately going to draw attention.

I'm not knocking a lot of the theories because as I've said I find them interesting and some of them plausible, these threads are normally the well thought out ones which contain sources, what I do find annoying though is when threads which have nothing to back them up are created and others latch onto them and run with them. I think these are the sort of things that hurt conspiracy theorists plausibility the most.

Anyway I went a bit off topic but I'm just interested to know where and how most conspiricies come about?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Some might say they are 1 part knowledge, 2 parts jargon, 1 pinch of b.s. and a bowlful of doubt.

Ths is the great thing (and not so great thing) abot conspiracies... You need no qualifications to make one. But as ATS members have prooved time and time again... Have your facts straight. This is not the minor leagues of conspiracies...

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Conspiracy theories usually start when ordinary people take a second look at the "official story" to any situation and try to dig a little deeper to find out if it is indeed the truth.

Sometimes official stories, for any situation, whether be UFO related or about 9/11, just don't add up.

Then you have all of research, and eye witness accounts, etc.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
uncle sam loves theories, because the more there are the more they conflict and hide the truth. people find bits of info and try to apply them to events they cannot explain. the human mind needs to reason and find purpose or blame. things that do not fit into neat little catagories create fear, so some look to the unknown. like big brother and the grand plan to control you life. personally i love it, i've worked for the government in and out of the military and i know that there is no way any of those idiots could form any kind of secret group to control everything, the required IQ is just not within human grasp, but i can hope. the truth is we're all just passengers and there is nobody at the wheel. so to answer the question: me, people like me start the theories hoping they come true so there will be some greater evil to fight against.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by onetruesaxon

Look at your question.

It is your answer.

Why ask such a question based on something you already know?

If you had asked which conspiracies are true and which are false?

Thats the correct question you need to ask.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I created the NWO conspiracy about 27 years ago. I keep telling people that it's rubbish, but the stupid idea has really taken on a life of it's own.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Just for fun I did a search and there's actually a book called:

Conspiracy Theories & Secret Societies For Dummies

I wonder what the sales figures look like. Do people really buy that book?

[edit on 19-12-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I wonder what the sales figures look like. Do people really buy that book?

If it was not for ATS the OP might have.

No offence intended to the OP of course.

Its a difficult world to make sense of so I reckon a lot have bought this book.

On a more important question however, why do you think conspiracies are allowed to exist????

Everyone needs to ask themselves this question.

The book highlighted by warrenb actually gives you the answer and no I do not mean how to get basics for god sake for any dummies out there

I am not saying all are false of course but people need to be careful, really careful in what they believe.

[edit on 19-12-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Who? Paranoid RETARDS.

Simple really.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

That's an easy question. Conspiracy theories are allowed to exist because regardless of whether or not they're true, they never amount to anything. Conspiracy theory believers generally go about their lives as normal, maybe participating in a few demonstrations, posting on the internet, whatever. It's been said that 1/4th of Americans do not believe the official story regarding 9/11. That certainly hasn't achieved anything. No arrests, no investigations, just a few laughs. Wouldn't matter if that figure was 51%. It's not the government censoring people, it's a lack of willpower on the part of the people. Sites like ATS will be allowed to flourish as long as their participants remain generally productive citizens in real life.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I think, originally, conspiracy theories came from a lack of information bridging the answer from the question in different events. Such example would be the "Magic Bullet" "Lone Gun Man" theories for Kennedy. It just didn't add up. There was too much evidence that came out in the wash to prove that there was a conspiracy. IE, the infamous wink photo, or Ruby killing Oswald to make sure he didn't talk, or an obtopcy never being completed. Or you can look at the Roswell with the Government changing its story four times before settling on the weather balloon. It is things like this that have mad genuine conspiracies.

I feel today though, people, in the need to make a buck, make up conspiracies. They do this so they can get some kind publicity, monetary gain. or a book deal. From things like the Obama birth certificate, to other thing like the Nazi still being a major force in the world, or that they are putting poison in the food and trying to kill up with a sweetener. There still are genuine conspiracies out there such as how controlled blast of tower 8 in 9/11 was done in hours that usually takes weeks to set up, or this engineered economic crash. But today it is hard to tell the real ones from the fake, which in turns helps the conspirators to get away with what they do.

This is why we Deny Ignorance.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Look at your question.

It is your answer.

Why ask such a question based on something you already know?

If you had asked which conspiracies are true and which are false?

Thats the correct question you need to ask.

But I don't know. What I want to know is where they originate and how they come about. If I sat at my computer and created a conspiracy it'd be quickly forgotten about so how do the conspiracy theories that gather such momentum gain their status, who starts them....the government....celebrities....nut jobs?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentBlack
uncle sam loves theories, because the more there are the more they conflict and hide the truth. people find bits of info and try to apply them to events they cannot explain. the human mind needs to reason and find purpose or blame. things that do not fit into neat little catagories create fear, so some look to the unknown. like big brother and the grand plan to control you life. personally i love it, i've worked for the government in and out of the military and i know that there is no way any of those idiots could form any kind of secret group to control everything, the required IQ is just not within human grasp, but i can hope. the truth is we're all just passengers and there is nobody at the wheel. so to answer the question: me, people like me start the theories hoping they come true so there will be some greater evil to fight against.

This is the viewpoint that I lean towards, great post! I think it'd be good if people could just sometimes step back and look at things from a rational, objective point of view, especially some of the posters on here.

new topics

top topics

join