It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands protest in Naples Italy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

The people march through the dusk. A massive man with a bullhorn and a black Billy-goat beard strides backward at the center of the procession, his voice booming with the bass of the speakers packed into the hatchback beside him. At his back are police and carabinieri in riot gear, keeping 20 yards off, as he leads about 1,000 protesters. Some blow whistles just to make noise, and some wave flags bearing an angry cartoon tree with a sign that reads "Jatavenne," which is Neapolitan slang for "back off."

is.gd...

Interesting to see if they start taking after the Greeks with this one.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
nice, come on let everybody go out and demonstrate. think it's a good thing more and more people are standing up against their government.
call me a rebel, but this is the only way to stop them!!!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
What happens when every government is taken out? How many of us will know how to setup a new one? Who will we put in it? Will we change the style or procedures?

You have to ask yourselves a few more questions. Most everyone (IMO) that has stated, "let's go demonstrate" or "take it back!" or anything of that nature doesn't think past getting the current government disbanded. IF we are to replace this rogue government we need to think of how to do it, and what/who to replace it with.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see this government replaced as it is a self destructive one.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sliick

How many of us will know how to setup a new one?

Americans have a perfect handbook to start up a *new* government - all over again.

It's called the Constitution.

*P*E*A*C*E*

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sliick
What happens when every government is taken out? How many of us will know how to setup a new one? Who will we put in it? Will we change the style or procedures?

People like Ron Paul, Michael Savage, Jesse Ventura have some great potential. Some of you may laugh at these suggestions, but I laugh harder at you being a supporter of what we got now.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
From the link:

The trash has been removed from the streets of Naples since Silvio Berlusconi's return to office, but the greater garbage problem persists. Public distrust of the government is so great that any effort to deal with the trash problem inevitably sparks new protests.

Such poetic irony.... the trash has been removed from the streets of Naples, but not from the halls of government.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Any of you lemmings actually read the article. The OP may have omitted some key points of understanding.

The people are marching against the construction of a new garbage dump in the middle of their community. Apparently the garbage management is controlled by local mafia and dominated by corruption of govt. funds.

Now these people actually have something to protest about and violence has been kept to minimum.

The mafia seems capable of profiting no matter what happens. It runs collection and transportation and makes a fortune illegally stuffing toxic industrial waste into dumps or by simply burying it in the countryside. A 2007 World Health Organization report found a steep increase in cancer and fetal defects, compared with the rest of the country, for those living near the region's illegal waste sites. The decision to continue building the new dump in Chiaiano even after the discovery of illegal asbestos deposits there in late October triggered the most recent protest in November.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Warrenb

You should be the official "riot watch" person, great job posting

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Actually, what I got from the article was that it's not simply about the garbage dump.

It's about the garbage the people perceive in their government that is representative of the corruption they feel they see everywhere.

It's not really about the garbage dump.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

I suppose people only see what they want to see.

Just in case you ever get curious, there is actually a beautiful green forest on the other side of the tree line.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
From the link:

The protesters, residents of an outer quarter of Naples called Chiaiano and the neighboring township of Marano, are trying to stop the government from building a new dump in their midst. But the fight has become a microcosm of the cycle of corruption and suspicion that has gripped and crippled the city and greater region of Campania for longer than anyone can remember, and for which trash is perhaps the most fitting emblem.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sliick

You have to ask yourselves a few more questions. Most everyone (IMO) that has stated, "let's go demonstrate" or "take it back!" or anything of that nature doesn't think past getting the current government disbanded. IF we are to replace this rogue government we need to think of how to do it, and what/who to replace it with.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see this government replaced as it is a self destructive one.

It can be done, and has been done before, many times.

There is always another person at the forefront of protests, who the people are willing to back, and to get their reforms through into place in a new government.

Any falling government can and would be maintained in a limited capacity for a handover of power, allowing the new leadership to continue government on the basic principles and create reform and new policy based on the will of the people over the coming year/s.

The international community can also play a large part in this, but only when those governments are not already facing a backlash from their own people.

Finally, I'm going to call "I told you so" (not specifically you sliik) on this.
There have been many threads in the past month where people have stated over and over that protests will increase. We faced the "scare mongering" wrath, and now look what's happening, protests all over Europe, and just beginning in the USA.

I'll say it again (and no doubt some "patriot" will be along in a mo to try to down-play it) this will continue, and it will become worse as more face unemployment, unjust governmental decisions that effect our children and increasing economic strife. Just watch.

new topics

top topics

join