It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands Protest Against School Reforms In France

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Thousands Protest Against School Reforms In France

www.javno.com

Thousands of French secondary school students took to the streets on Thursday to protest against government education reform plans and some clashed with police in the southeastern city of Lyon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

The government has already postponed plans to reform the secondary school curriculum after sometimes violent protests this month but students have kept up demonstrations to demand the plan be dropped permanently.

On Thursday, several thousand took part in protests in the Paris region and provincial cities including Lyon and Rennes in western France.

In Lyon, students threw stones at police, a car was overturned near the city's education headquarters and one school had to be evacuated after smoke from fires lit in nearby rubbish bins spread through the buildings, a Reuters reporter said.

good ol' France

www.javno.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Protesters in Spain, Denmark and Italy smashed shop windows, pelted police with bottles and attacked banks this week, while in France, cars were set ablaze Thursday outside the Greek consulate in Bordeaux, where protesters scrawled graffiti warning about a looming "insurrection."

www.indybay.org...

Cars burning in France

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I love the French. They never let their government forget the revolution. And lest they should, the French take to the streets often to remind them who really has the power, should they decide to wield it.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Dozens arrested in French student protest

www.google.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

Dozens arrested in French student protest

www.google.com...

wow you are right on top of this,

maybe it is the end of days

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

let's just say...it's part of my "work"

and an update to the Greek riots

Fresh Athens riots after new shooting
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 18-12-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
man, a winter of discontent, such fun. And december is a fun month, just wait 'till January.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

around January 21 ?

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
From the link:

Protesters insisted they would maintain their action until the government backed down definitively and dropped plans to cut thousands of teaching posts as part of a broad programme of public sector spending cuts.

"Reforms" indeed. To a politician, reform always seems to mean cutting services to the taxpayers who pay for them.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Over 100,000 students rally to protest education reforms

www.france24.com...

its getting bigger, much much bigger

100,000+ people, I think thats more than the Greek protests...

[edit on 18-12-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I don't like looting and damaging personal property, but demonstrations and loud protests are way better than just whining and complaining to oneself or even to each other. I look forward to protests coming to North America. I will be there!

I believe that another poster had it right however, when he said something about resisting, and not participating as a good method of protest. I will find the link. Not participating in the madness of the economy will directly affect those at the top via lessening their profits. That's all they really care about anyway. Nobody can arrest you for "not buying", but not buying will nevertheless hurt the guy you want to hurt. So it is effective.
Now, to try and figure out what it is we all can agree upon as a desired better alternative, well that is another question.
edit to add: DangerDeath said this in another post:

Resist.
Abstain.
Do not participate.
You don't have to break anything.
Gandhi had shown how. It's not a big deal.
Just a matter of principle.
In resistance is freedom.
In understanding is freedom.
And joy.
I take this to mean, abstain from the madness of the commercialized society or be lead around by the nose by the PTB/ corporations.

[edit on 18-12-2008 by wayno]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
So, these kids are protesting a curriculum change.

Where were the protests when my college added Finite Math to my curriculum?

Any excuse to protest I suppose. Power to the People.

We should have protested when my school district levy failed and my high school lost extracurricular activities, special programs, majority of athletics and many teachers. Man I thought we had it tough 20 years ago. Oh and they closed an elementary school as well.

These poor French kids definitely have something to cry about.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
So, these kids are protesting a curriculum change.

Where were the protests when my college added Finite Math to my curriculum?

Any excuse to protest I suppose. Power to the People.

We should have protested when my school district levy failed and my high school lost extracurricular activities, special programs, majority of athletics and many teachers. Man I thought we had it tough 20 years ago. Oh and they closed an elementary school as well.

These poor French kids definitely have something to cry about.

At least the French trying make their voice to be notice. Much better than just stay in internet and blame the governament.

In my country when the president Collor made a big mess we, the people, made a big protest in all the country and he resigned for good
Maybe some countriesforgot how to do a protest and became just a bunch of sheep.

top topics

join