It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoprite Refuses to Inscribe Birthday Cake

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Holland Township family angry that supermarket won't personalize cake for their son

JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell, Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell and Adolf Hitler Campbell. Good names for a trio of toddlers? Heath and Deborah Campbell think so. The Holland Township couple has picked those names and the oldest child, Adolf Hitler Campbell, turns 3 today. This has given rise to a problem, because the ShopRite supermarket in Greenwich Township has refused to make a cake for young Adolf's birthday.

Even though they have the right to name their kids that, i agree businesses have the right to exercise discretion.

www.lehighvalleylive.com...

[edit on 15-12-2008 by Yetichi]

[edit on 15-12-2008 by Yetichi]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
A business can do what it wants, but it's too bad that the kid is being ...
1 - abused by the parents
2 - refused a simple birthday cake message when it's not the kids fault.

Make no mistake - naming a child 'adolph hitler' is abuse.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
How dare they name the kid Adolf Hitler?

They should have called Child Protective Services and had them waiting for them when they come to pick up the cake. Too bad not everyone is that clever.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Most assuredly it's abuse...

Though I'm fairly certain the parents don't think so...

Hopefully the kids grow up smarter than the parents.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Wow....Those kids are gonna have some problems.

As for personalizing the cake it is the kids name, its not his fault his parents are (obviously) classless, he is 3 after all. If everybody makes him out to be the person hes named after, whats that going to make him?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
*dupe post*

Actually if they offer the service they should perform it. Im sure they don't have a sign up that says "Unless your name is Adolph Hitler".

[edit on 15-12-2008 by ATruGod]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Can you image the abuse the children will go through????

Go back to Jr. High School and think how some poor student(s) would be treated by other students, much less administration, with names like Adoff Hitler....................

Imo, that is really child abuse.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The parents are obviously dumb enough not to realize that they can just buy a small tube of icing and write the kids name on the cake themselves. They probably couldn't spell it.

The parents are clearly idiots and the grocery store deemed their request as offensive.

That's why we live in a free country. Look at the bizarre child names that come out of Hollywood.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Yetichi

Businesses do not have rights. You can't allow people to smoke in your business. You must hire who the government tells you to.

The parents are idiots. The store is acting illiegally by refusing what they deem offensive and harms NO ONE.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
maybe the person that refused was jewish. this is like pharmacists refusing to fill birth control prescriptions.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Business's have the right to refuse service to anyone, at anytime...usually it's not a terribly wise thing to do. This might, indeed, be one of those cases...

Personally? I wouldn't have done it either. It's a completely personal issue with me...so be it. My integrity isn't worth my job. IHMO.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Try refusing service at a car dealership. Or a bank.

You will be accused of racisim/sexism/ageism...

You Cannot refuse service without serious justification. "It offends me" is not reason when you are not personally affected.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I once had a cake made with "Congrats! It's not a tumor!" on it. The clerk working the counter smiled and was cool with it but this woman in line behind me was being a total frigid expletive about it. She kept going on and on about how it was insensitive and mean. She apparently didnt believe that the cake was for me and it definitely wasnt a tumor. Nor did she apparently care that I was very happy it was indeed not a tumor and really liked ice cream cake.

The business reserves the right to refuse service and other people have the right to their opinions but the final say rests with the kids parents. If I want to name my kid Fartjuice McWoody I can. The kid can change it and move when he's old enough. Government doesnt need any more reasons to take children away and do any number of the things to them. CPS and government in general have ruined more than enough lives.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This little boy is not Adolf Hilter, leader of the Nazi party, but Adolf Hitler Campbell, a three year old toddler whose parents wanted to buy him a birthday cake with his name on it.

Granted, the parents may be unconvential and if they happen to be bigoted racists, that's not the fault of the child, nor does it mean the child will turn out exactly like his parents.

"We believe the request ... to inscribe a birthday wish to Adolf Hitler is inappropriate," said Karen Meleta, a ShopRite spokeswoman.

...and this quote just torques me to no end because again, this is a little boy - not the leader of the Nazi party.

Funny how this little boy is being treated with such disrespect for a name he didn't give himself and yet, we can elect a president who has the middle name of Hussein.

Incredible.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
then any store can refuse service to anyone who doesn't like someone's name.

This is out of line.

We can't discriminate agaisnt, sex, religion, race, etc, yet someone can say: I don't like your name?

And it is not the child's fault.

Adolf was a very common name at the time. Just like James or robert. I don't think Hitler was uncommon either. Just because it is it is associated with a socio path, doesn't mean it couldn't of been in the family.

that being said, most likely they are supremeists.Views or no doesn't mean you name your child after a socio path. But on the flip side, if someoen doesn't agree with christianity, they can't refuse a cake for every Michael, Rebecca or Adam.

Children should never be a platform for political stances. No matter what side your on.

Hopefully the child won't be too damaged.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
the right to their opinions but the final say rests with the kids parents. If I want to name my kid Fartjuice McWoody I can. The kid can change it and move when he's old enough.

I have been having a bad day. Thank you for the laugh.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Ok so if the Store has the right to refuse, even though they advertise the service, would it be ok to not print on my Son's cake his Birthday since it also just happens to be Hitlers?

Would it had been ok if they just wanted Adolph? Really at what point would it be ok for this kid to have a cake with his name on it.

Yes his parents are very stupid, yes its probably even abuse, but does that mean everyone else is now allowed to abuse the child in whatever way they have the power?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Or come to the south here in GA and you will be surprise what kind of "abusive names" some children have to endure due to "been different"

Now I agree with you one hundred percent obviously you see pass the mental stagnation that many still hold in this nation and obviously "other nations abroad".

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I lived in SC and NC for about eight years combined and the odd names I came across were bizarre indeed. These poor kids have a difficult time just learning how to spell their own names. Lemmonjellow anyone?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I have to disagree. It's his middle name.
No different than electing a president with Hussein as the middle name.

Maybe the child will do good things that counter the famous Hitler's actions?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join