It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN official slams Israel 'crimes'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   

UN official slams Israel 'crimes'

news.bbc.co.uk

The UN special rapporteur on human rights in the Palestinian territories has said Israel's policies there amount to a crime against humanity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Richard Falk's statement came as UN human rights delegates urged Israel to take nearly 100 measures including ending its blockade of the Gaza Strip.

He said the UN must act to protect the Palestinian population suffering what he called "collective punishment".

Finally someone has the balls to say what we all think.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Hypocritical if you ask me.

What about the human rights the UN has ignored in Darfur, Rwanda, Somalia, China and other countries?

Betcha they don't have the cajones to slam Chinese crimes against human rights.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Well in all fairness, it was one (1) member of the UN, not the whole UN.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Doesn't make them hypocritical necessarily.
Yes, they still need to look at Sudan, China and all the rest.. but at least its A START.

If this one member of the UN can get more people to see past the smiley faces and cold threats of Western regimes that turn a blind eye to this kind of inhumanity then maybe something will be done.
Wake up people!

Instead of putting this down, look at it as a glimmer of hope for the future. Sure, its just Israel today.
But in my opinion the Israel/Palestine 'situation' should be a top priority. When Jews are being tortured in their millions, the whole world is shocked.

However, as soon as the Jewish 'nation' starts a genocide of their own against a completely innocent people, they are left to their own devices?

Bring down the tyrants one by one. That way, if others see it coming we might not have to bother, and if the world can fix itself then that is far better than two opposing fascist systems.

Seeing as the original definition of a fascist is someone who thinks they know best and will stop at nothing to get everyone round to their way of doing things...

.. sound familiar?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Hypocritical if you ask me.

What about the human rights the UN has ignored in Darfur, Rwanda, Somalia, China and other countries?

Betcha they don't have the cajones to slam Chinese crimes against human rights.

Hypocrite? Nay mate, it is the Israelis who are hypocrites. One moment they memorialise the Holocaust and the next moment committing war crimes against the Palestinians.

Places like Somalia, Darfur or whatever come and go but Israel’s crimes continue for 60 years and counting. Any complaint or concern made is answered with howls of ‘anti-Semite’ when in all irony or ironies it is the Slavic Askhenazis who are the biggest anti-Semites on the planet. You did know the Palestinians are Semites?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
No offence, that UN Human Rights Commission is run by Cuba, Saudi Arabia and other nations with an awful human rights records in their respected countries.

Zimbabwe is on the panel FFS

This Commission refused to investigate Sudan and does not recognise the Darfur genocide. All their "reports" are aimed at the United Kingdom, United States, France or Israel.

Saudi Arabia commissioned a report criticising the British Monarchy - even though Saudi Arabia is an absolute Monarch

Hypocrisy people, pure Hypocrisy.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
So glad to hear this being addressed.

I am so tired of hearing the crisis being ignored, rationalized away, or even endorsed.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I don't think that this means anything, neither will it change anything.

This is just one person's statement, it will be glossed over and ignored/forgotten before too long, and the MSM will do its job.

Crimes against humanity have been done and continue to be perpetrated, no matter who points a finger at whom. Will it ever stop? Not even if the New World Order brings about one world government. If 1984 is any answer, then you'll know that humanity will continue to be oppressed.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

count up the bodies and tell me which region the UN should be focusing on. I bet Darfur has Israel beat by a country mile.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Is Zimbabwe on the human rights commission or the security council or are you just trying to discredit the UN official who dared to criticise Israel by association?

As for the qualities of nations that sit on UN panels if body counts are a factor in your standards would the US, UK and Israel lend any more worthiness than the decrepit Zimbabwe?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by selfisolated

But in my opinion the Israel/Palestine 'situation' should be a top priority

I respect your opinion but there are other places were people are being slaughtered by the thousands. What about their human rights? I have yet to see news about the Palestinians being slaughtered by the thousands. That doesn't mean Israel shouldn't be criticized or that the issue shouldn't be addressed. I just think it someone being bias.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

It's far easier to stop the atrocities in Israel than in, say, Darfur. Quite simply because Israel has security (even if it doesn't think so), money, infrastructure, and a well-educated population.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Let's focus on the Israeli problem because this thread refers to it. Secondly, I believe that Israel is forming into quite possibly the greatest danger to the world in the 21st century. Because of it nuclear weapons, constant wars with its neighbours and its propensity for targeting civilians, its habit of conducting assassinations from the US to Sweden and to anywhere in the ME, its development of gene specific biological weapons with apartheid South Africa and the continually growing network of sayanim in the free world we are all in danger one way or another.

From UPI:

Israel is embarking upon a more aggressive approach to the war on terror that will include staging targeted killings in the United States and other friendly countries, former Israeli intelligence officials told United Press International.

Defense of Israeli Assassination Policy by the Bush Administration and Democratic Leaders
Link:

www.fpif.org...

Gene specific bio weapons;

ISRAEL PLANNING 'ETHNIC' BOMB AS SADDAM CAVES IN by Uzi Mahnaimi and Marie Colvin ISRAEL is working on a biological weapon that would harmArabs but not Jews, according to Israeli military and westernintelligence sources. The weapon, targeting victims by ethnicorigin, is seen as Israel's response to Iraq's threat of chemicaland biological attacks.

www.middleeast.org...

Fifty-four year-old Count Folke Bernadotte, nephew of King Gustavus V of Sweden, was appointed in 1948 as mediator to Palestine by the United Nations General Assembly in the capacity as its official representative. He was immediately assigned the difficult task of negotiating a truce between the Arab states and the newly created state of Israel, after the outbreak of hostilities in the region stemming from the partition of Palestine. Bernadotte was successful in implementing a fleeting 30-day truce between the parties, but he ultimately came to the conclusion that the U.N. partition plan as fashioned was impractical and untenable. He, instead, advocated boundaries be redrawn similar to those prior to the partition, and encouraged the withdrawal of Israeli forces from the Negev desert and Jerusalem, which he thought should be under Jordanian rule. He also criticized the aggressive behavior of the Israeli soldiers in Jerusalem. A peaceful solution to the conflict, however, was not on the agenda of the Zionist founders of Israel, who sought to expand the frontiers of their state as far as possible and to establish complete control of not only Jerusalem, but all of Palestine. One such Zionist organization, initially created to fight the British mandate of Palestine, was called the LEHI (Lohamei Herut Israel - Fighters for the Freedom of Israel), also known as the Stern Gang. Meeting all of today's criteria in qualifying as a terrorist organization, the LEHI/Stern Gang ensured Bernadotte failed in his quest to resolve the Arab-Israeli conflict, for he was brutally assassinated by them on September 17, 1948. This assassination was orchestrated by none other than one Yitzhak Shamir, who would later become the Israeli Prime Minister in 1983. Although widely implicated for his direct involvement, he was never tried for his crime and a thorough investigation by the Israeli government at the behest of Sweden was never seriously pursued. The first of many rebuffs of the United Nations by Israel in its failure to apprehend Shamir thus occurred shortly after its creation, and would be a harbinger of the general disregard Israel would hold for the international body and its officials thereafter.

www.asiantribune.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dave420

I think that the way Israel treats the Palestinians is an abomination. That would be like us treating native americans that way. (not that we treat them much better, by the way I am 1/4 native american) The Palestinians were occupying that land way before Israel stole it from them. Yes the genocide in Africa is a very sad situation. Very very sad indeed. But lets face it, Its Africans killing other Africans and it has been going on for a very long time. We in America sadly support Israel in almost everything they do. We give them money, give them weapons, and probably have given them WMD's. The Jews were horribly victimized under the Nazi's, but that is no excuse for them to do whatever they want.

I am NO fan of ISRAEL

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This from the guy who supported the Iranian Revolution and has proclaimed suicide-bombings as a valid form of resistence...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I think some of you should read Chalmers Johnson's book called Blowback.

Someone mentioned africa, who do you think put Mugabee in power?

Speaking against the country he is speaking of will get him kicked out of the UN, that alone just goes to show that he is correct in focusing on them.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Why was Egypt not included in this.

After all, Egypt shares a border with the Palestinians. Why is Egypt allowed to keep their border closed? Yet all the blame always goes to Israel? That doesn't make sense.

Israel and the US are supposed to fund the Palestinians while the Palestinians continues to launch rockets at Israel.

How should Israel respond?

I don't see how there can be a resolution with regard to Israel and the Palestinians.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Antisemitism is an ugly thing. Israel has a right to defend itself. The terrorists will not rest, and we will not rest until they are all dead...that is called resolve, and it results in the advancement of freedom and liberty.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Egypt is not involved in crimes against humanity, does not occupy Palestinian land and is under external pressure to control its borders. I doubt being an observer of a crime being conducted makes the witness culpable. I think your question is leading and disingenuous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join