It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Day Without Gay - December 10, 2008

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Day Without Gay - December 10, 2008

queersunited.blogspot.com

December 10th will be "Day Without a Gay." On this day you are encouraged to call in "gay" to work, school, and whatever obligations you have. It is a national day of protest to show our friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers that they can deny us our rights, but we can deny them our labor and hit back where it hurts, the economy.

Organizers of this action are asking people to not only sit out of work, school, etc but to get involved with your local GLBT organization, or to protest against marriage inequality.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I did not see this subject on ATS. I am wondering what, if any, results will come from taking a day off to flex political ideologies.

1). Can companies fire if they find out of erroneous health day?
2). Will this have any effect on the cause? I remember the immigrants rallied pretty big and not much came of that.
3). With Gay being such a elusive topic for many, will the fact that publicizing homosexuality may deter protesters.

On a lighter note, I am not a fan of protesting, but i don't know how to express it.

AAC

queersunited.blogspot.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
No offense to anyone who is gay, but this has got to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard. First of all, 30 states are "Employment at will" states and anyone calling off from work without a legitimate illness (That is why they are called "Sick days") will be, and should be, immediately terminated. Next, what is this supposed to accomplish???

Too many gays, and believe me when I tell you that I have many, many gay friends, will tell you that these militarized gays are taking this too far. Most I have spoken with have vehemently agreed with defining "Marriage" as between one and man and one woman - BECAUSE IT IS! The intelligent ones advocate for equal rights under a "Civil Union" that I think most people would agree with.

Sadly, the whole ability for the gay community to achieve equal rights with married couples by declaring civil unions are being destroyed by the radical gays who continue to militarize their efforts over pure semantics. I'm sorry, but this idea is too over the top and too stupid!
This will continue to set the cause back years!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I don't know what this would accomplish. Truly. These days with the way absent policies are set up, managers can't ask why you're not coming in to work (Thank FMLA and other fed regs for that). They just dock a day from your Paid Time Off for the year. If you use more than your allotment you go unpaid, take a hit on your year end review, or get a warning, depending on company policy. You've have to take two weeks off to cause a blip on your career employment record. If that makes you 'proud' so be it, just don't expect your company to care.

(In 2004 and 2006, I'd 2 two weeks off for Acute Sinusitus Awareness. Did it work?)

[edit on 9-12-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
yeah call into work " Gay " , if any of my employees called in gay I would fire them right on the spot. enjoy your job hunt.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Let me start out by saying that I think the idea behind this protest is to get straight and gay people to call in gay as a show of support for the community.

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
1). Can companies fire if they find out of erroneous health day?

they can fire you for not showing up without a valid reason. calling in gay is not a valid reason. being gay doesn't make you unable to complete the work you do as you have been doing it for however long you've been employed at the job you have. There's a joke in here somewhere about being "really, really gay now" or something.
If a straight person calls in gay, as as show of support, the employer can fire them. Of course, if you are allowed sick days or personal days and you call in and say "I'm taking a sick day or a personal day in support of the call in gay protest" you might not lose your job but you will not gain any points with the boss.

2). Will this have any effect on the cause? I remember the immigrants rallied pretty big and not much came of that.

I doubt it. I doubt it will be as big as they hope. It certainly hasn't been garnering much attention as this is the first I've heard of it and the protest is tomorrow.

3). With Gay being such a elusive topic for many, will the fact that publicizing homosexuality may deter protesters.

again, this appears to me to be something they want both straight and gay people to do. that's generally how protests work. you want as many people as possible to show up for the cause. there are always people of all races, nationalities etc at the falun gong protests around NYC. it's about showing support.
is it possible that some closeted people will not do this as it might out them? maybe but, again, I don't think this will really be that big of a protest so it won't matter.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This looks more like misdirected anger towards one's boss and using this as an excuse. If you like your boss, why would you do this to them? Do you want your boss to not like you because of homosexuality?

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
i can hear the responses from the bosses now, "if you're too gay to come into work, then you're to gay to work for me!" the whole idea behind this is lacking.

edit to add: i'm sure that there would be lawsuits if the boss actually said that, but i'm also sure that the bosses of people who actually follow through with this will fire them for, as stated by a previous poster, not coming into work because of an unacceptable excuse.

[edit on 9-12-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I appreciate the idea and I totally support gay equality. However I don't think people will be willing to take the day off of work and take the chance of getting in "trouble" at work. If I were working, I wouldn't. There are better ways of protesting. and I doubt it will have any effect at all. Legal channels are the best (most effective) way to deal with this.

On a lighter note, I am not a fan of protesting, but i don't know how to express it.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101
i can hear the responses from the bosses now, "if you're too gay to come into work, then you're to gay to work for me!" the whole idea behind this is lacking.

edit to add: i'm sure that there would be lawsuits if the boss actually said that, but i'm also sure that the bosses of people who actually follow through with this will fire them for, as stated by a previous poster, not coming into work because of an unacceptable excuse.

Could be a fishing attempt to see if any bosses will take the bait.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I say don't just take ONE day off... take a week, month, year, whatever.
If you think you're 'special' and deserve to take a day off to protest while others pick up your slack then 'bye-bye'... who the hell needs you.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
WOW...when are people going to learn that not everyone has to agree or accept homosexual behavior. Gays need to realize that their way of life is THEIR way....and their way does NOT have to be accepted by all people.

I could care less if you choose to be gay...whatever...but to have the attitude that ALL people should accept you and your behavior is unrealistic and unfair. Just get over it and accept that not everyone is going to like or accept you...just like the gay community can't accept it when others don't like their sexual preferance.

I say if you call of work and use GAY as an excuse...you tote whatever punishment comes down from the main office or managers....its not a valid excuse to screw over your fellow employees who have to pick up your slack. Then when you DO get punished dont use the "their punishing me because I'm gay" excuse...just accept your punishment the way you should

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

It's not that they want to be accepted. It's that they want equal rights. Read the white block in the OP. This isn't about acceptance, agreement, tolerance or support! It's about LEGAL rights.

[edit on 9-12-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

link   
So the average straight person that is really sick tomorrow now has to be risk being labeled gay?

This changes my opinions on gay rights issues not a whit. It's a stupid idea to stick your thumb in someone's eye to gain their support.

link   
I wonder why the Gay community would spend so much time and effort trying to be treated like the next guy (which I think is common decency), and then turn around and organise something like this, clearly setting themselves aside from society as a whole.

Much more will be done to promote acceptance by doing your jobs to the best of your ability, being nice to people etc.

What's next? The day without colored people? The day without PETA? maybe a day without single mothers? or a day without Alcoholics?

365 days in a year.. that's a whole lot of minoritys that can launch their 'day of reckoning' I guess...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Yeah... and if you don't show up, who will notice? Most people will think you're just sick or on vacation. Nobody will know or care if you're trying to stage some type of protest. Stupid idea.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by rcwj75

It may seem like semantics, but this acceptance thing I keep hearing about is ludicrous in my eyes. I don't care for, nor need, your or anyone elses acceptance. Perhaps tolerance is a better word, but even then I don't think that's quite it. Basically, all I desire is to be left alone and live my life the way I see fit without worrying about it being legislated by others.

I'm not asking to become an axe murderer as my way or life, or marry a cactus. In fact, I'm not asking for anything, because basic rights like everyone else is something I should never have to ask for.

---

As for the protest, I think its quite silly and I am not participating, nor have I heard about it until I read this thread. So much for the gay mafia accusations.

Plus I'm off tomorrow and my employers are gay, so it wouldn't accomplish much.

Might want to choose a different day to go shopping at Pottery Barn if you need help picking out items that match though. Without the gays there, orange and green mixed may be the new black.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Hmm I wonder if I can get a date without straight going. You know that is where all the straight people pick a date on the calendar and all take it off because we are straight. What Im surprised is the mainstream attention this is getting. Its amazing how thousands can march on Washington in protest of our corrupt government ie Ron Paul ralley in Sept but yet get no attention AT ALL but gay day gets front page of every main stream site. Disgusting what our country has become. Its dumb and if they want to protest then whatever its their choice.

[edit on 9-12-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
....its not a valid excuse to screw over your fellow employees who have to pick up your slack.

Ah, so there IS a correlation between work and sexuality. I'd missed it before.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
So the average straight person that is really sick tomorrow now has to be risk being labeled gay?

Hmm...didn't think of that. Perhaps there will be an overall increased work attendance.

Maybe the following day all heterosexuals should call out? "Straight Day 2008!"

Why stop there? How about homosexual companies and heterosexual companies? Draw a line between neighborhoods, states, or declare whole countries? Then we could bomb each other, etc...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join