It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Weather Channel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Ok, I'm convinced that their has to be some kind of conspiracy or alterior motive behind this channel. Let's face it...no one really needs access to 24 hour weather information, let alone pay for it as part of an extended cable package. What exactly is it's purpose?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Well I find the weather channel to be a very valuable resource. Even if its just to get a quick reveiw of my local weather and a general idea of the national and worldwide weather situation.

As to the cable co charging for it, well thats another matter that really has nothing to do with the weather channel. I would complain to your cable provider about that.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by edgecrusher2199

The Weather Channel is like Matlock to older folks.
Spice if you will.
This is very convenient as the last thing we need is them contributing to society with all their knowledge, wisdom and such.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
wtf? chill out man... face it. no one needs anything on tv 24/7... what exactly is your point btw?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Would that also apply to tv networks like MTV, VH1, Cartoon Network, Nikelodeon, CNN, MSNBC, Fox, Sci-Fi, Discovery, History, Disney, HBO, Showtime, Cinamax, PPV, Playboy, oh golly lets not take away the playboy channel..need that 24/7 right?.....

Point here is that not everyone is awake between 6am and 10 pm. There are those that are nightowls and those who start their day at 10pm and end it at 6am. Called night life. Hence the reason for 24/7 tv networks and such.

The days of when tv stations and networks go off the air at midnight went into the history books about 25 years ago. Its the modern era of instant news, instant coffee, instant hot pockets, instant email, instant tea, and instant gratification, not to mention 45 seconds later you can almost instantly get a bag full of popcorn from the microwave.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
sorry for the anonymous reply...
but when i was 10-12 years old [im 25 now], i was ABSOLUTELY addicted to the weather channel.
i sat inside my grandmas room [she lived with us] and watched the channel for 5-6 hours at a time---nonstop!
this is even more unheardof when you understand that 15 years ago, the weather channel was the SAME 15-20 minutes of reporting cycled all day---
mind boggling.
but i was VERY addicted!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Thanks. As I do not ever pass the weather channel, it is important to people like me that there are these 24 hour channels. I am sure that there are those that live such as myself at night but are also into the particular channel. Either way, I need some entertainment at night. When you sleep very little and usually during the daytime, you find the wee hours quiet in a lonely way, even when loved ones are sleeping nearby. 24 hour channels give me a little comfort at 3:45am when my friends no longer enjoy casual calls just to chat and no one here wants me waking them up to show them the thread that I just read about satanic reptiles driving nazi ufos into the secret room under the sphinx.

oh yeah, my point being, I am far from alone in my hours and needs in that way so I am sure there are also those that watch the weather channel in those hours.

Besides if every person in the country turned it on just to check the local weather, they would still be pulling in some big numbers all around and find a way to integrate the advertising to that type of schedule and be very profitable.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by angel of lightangelo]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I'm going to take it you guys are younger. Back in the days before the internet, TWC was the best place for getting local weather reports anytime you needed them.

It's not needed so much anymore since there is the internet now, and you can just look it up, or check out your iphone etc. But for people without those things, I'm sure they still find it useful just like I did years ago.

TWC still provides and makes money off all the internet weather reports you see. They supply a good amount of the data across the web. I've written programs that use their feeds in the past. So if you are getting data off the net, there is a good chance it comes from them.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well sometimes you find yourself in London and you think, "Hey, what's
the weather like back in New York"?!
or-
Sometimes the window shade is down and we can't get a good glimpse
of the outside to determine rain or shine.

I'm not sure if I ever really tuned into the Weather Channel.
Not even sure where it is on my cable system. So to answer
your question about the purpose of it, I would say that it is
to let you know the weather outlook all over the world.

Conspiracy?! I don't know. However, I can say for certain
that the food channel made me gain 15lbs.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
There are millions of other people who want to know what the weather will be like and cant always check at the same time as you. But they have t.vs and a 24 hour channel allows them to check when it's apropriate.

Nobody is trying to lie to you about the weather, they would be caught out in a matter of hours.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I never thought you had to pay extra for the weather channel?
It comes standard I thought in the base package.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
OK debunked. Thanks everyone for the responses. Side note- Comcast has a monopoly on the area I live in. Pretty much every extra channel costs. Definitely not part of the base package...

top topics

join