It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN,UFO's Calling all Aliens SETI

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Just more stuff on CNN, friggin crazy if you ask me how much UFO stuff CNN has been reporting lately.

Sorry, just did a little looking around and this might have already been posted.

[edit on 3-12-2008 by DroolsAlot]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DroolsAlot

If, as SETI said itself recently, all our electromagnetic emmisions are hopelessly "diluted" at only 2.0 light years from Earth, we will have a very long wait indeed.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbiture

If, as SETI said itself recently, all our electromagnetic emmisions are hopelessly "diluted" at only 2.0 light years from Earth, we will have a very long wait indeed.

Well, that all depends on if the ufos are within 2 light years away. I do know that many of the sightings he have seen are within earths atmosphere. And some even on video captured by our satilites. Those are the ones that we would be most likely to get anything from.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DroolsAlot

Well, that all depends on if the ufos are within 2 light years away. I do know that many of the sightings he have seen are within earths atmosphere. And some even on video captured by our satilites. Those are the ones that we would be most likely to get anything from.

The closest star to Earth is 4 light years away, so the nearest the aliens could be, If indeed they exist, is 4 light years.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavalFC

The closest star to Earth is 4 light years away, so the nearest the aliens could be, If indeed they exist, is 4 light years.

So your saying that if there is aliens, that they live near a star and cant travel. Is that what you were saying?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Naval I havent heard back from you yet?????????????

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Not impressed with the continued SETI perspective that CNN and other major media organizations side themselves with regarding UFOs and extraterrestrials.

Am I really supposed to believe that an astronomer(Jill Tarter) who can't tell the difference between the moon and an alien spacecraft, could actually be responsible for making contact with other life in the galaxy?

SETI is a joke of an institute, they are the one's assuming that aliens would use radio waves for communication, or respond even if capable.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majorion
Not impressed with the continued SETI perspective that CNN and other major media organizations side themselves with regarding UFOs and extraterrestrials.

Am I really supposed to believe that an astronomer(Jill Tarter) who can't tell the difference between the moon and an alien spacecraft, could actually be responsible for making contact with other life in the galaxy?

SETI is a joke of an institute, they are the one's assuming that aliens would use radio waves for communication, or respond even if capable.

Dude they arent assuming thats what they use. They are trying to make contact with the technology that we have. Assuming that they are technalogically advanced, even if we are using "RADIO WAVES", they should be able to read them.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by DroolsAlot]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
You didn't answer the more important question, why would they even respond?

The truth is that SETI is just a mask organization, to serve as nothing more than puppets for the governments who make themselves out to be "searching" for ET life when they know damn well that ET life exists and has visited Earth.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

the government doesnt even fund seti and hasnt done for years. Its all through private donations.

Seti searches for radio signals & light signals becuase they are the only ways we know of communicating. They dont assume all ETIs use it they hope some or at least one does. Unless you have a quantum communication decoder lying around your house that they could borrow?

why would they respond? you have it backwards. SETI is looking for ETIs who are already responding or actively engaging in METI. (messaging extra terrestrial intelligence) I could ask you the same question. Why would you want to contact an ET civilization?

[edit on 7-12-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

As Stanton Friedman says, "SETI means Silly Effort To Investigate"!

IRM

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I find SETI is a rather abysmal attempt at locating ET. SETI listens on a very narrow frequency bands and makes many assumptions regarding the frequency any ET would be using which really hinders our chances of locating them. What we need is a radio telescope that scans a much winder range of frequencies, for all we know signlas have come and gone but because we werent listening to that freq, we didnt hear it.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   

So your saying that if there is aliens, that they live near a star and cant travel. Is that what you were saying?

Huh? No. I said if they were on a planet around alpha centauri they would be 4 light years away. I said nothing of the ability to travel.

Only that if we were trying to pick up transmissions from ther planet, the closest it would likely be is 4 light years

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I find SETI is a rather abysmal attempt at locating ET. SETI listens on a very narrow frequency bands and makes many assumptions regarding the frequency any ET would be using which really hinders our chances of locating them.

LOL! Yeah, it's like searching for your favorite FM Station on the AM Band. Nice one Seth!

IRM

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NavalFC

How did the mexicans get this far out into space? They can' run their country, and are invading ours, yet they managed to get out into space? That does seem odd.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

since when was 1 to 10ghz regarded as a "narrow frequency"? you people are obviously refering to the waterhole frequency 1420mhz to 1720mhz which is still searched along with the wider frequency range.

maybe you should get a clue about what seti does before you start talking about it.

NavalFC you sound like you have all the answers , can you tell me what size of array seti would need to scan the whole EM range?

[edit on 7-12-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

No one can be as perfect as you.

It is a testament to the fact that at times, even trained observers can misidentify things in the sky.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I never said I was perfect. And it IS possible that trained observers can misidentify things, but Jill Tarter is obviously not a trained observer. My only point.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

...but Jill Tarter is obviously not a trained observer. My only point.

Congratulations! You win the award for the dumbest thing ever uttered on ATS. You should be proud, that is quite an achievement. But not surprising from the likes of a closed-minded fundamentalist believer.

Jill Tarter holds a PhD in Astronomy from UC Berkeley, a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Scientist, and a fellow of the California Academy of Sciences, she co-created a catalog of stars which may hold habitable worlds, and has been a director of various SETI projects. But apparently, since she does not believe in extraterrestrial visitation, she obviously has no idea of what she is looking at when she looks up in the night sky.

The attitude of the fundamentalist believers towards SETI plumbs the depths of stupidity. Those behind SETI and METI are doing work that, by all measures, the believers should support. In fact, if SETI/METI's work proves successful, it will only lend weight to the believers arguments. However, because those behind SETI/METI are not focusing exclusively on flying saucers, the fundamentalist believers idiotically attack it.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

1. Were not talking about 1 array doing all the scanning, youd have multiple

2. Im not sure about the size.
But that wasnt my point in the first place. My point was when you limit yourself to a narrow frequency band you hurt your chances.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join