It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence in Scripture disproving god once and for all

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nj2day

Originally posted by asmeone2
That was a sarcastic dig at those who favor a 'literal' interpretation of the Bible, I'm all for questions.

Wasn't intended to be... Instead I was trying to make the point that if there are all these rules about following false prophets, false idols, other gods... and they all result in dire consequences...

How is one supposed to objectively know if they are being told the true word of god?

Questions should be encouraged, as it is the best way for the sheep to stay with the flock...

Take a look at the 'false prophet's' pocketbook would be my first advice.

Then if the prophet sets himself up with a closeness to God that is unobtainable to everyone else, that's another clue

The false prophet thing works both ways of course, many Christians are suspicious of religious texts and ideas that are very beneficial, simply because they are not Biblical in origin.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

wow, inserting the multiverse could create all kinds of problems...

who determines if you make it to heaven? is heaven littered with infinite "yous" who all gained admittance through their actions?

Would you even be linked to the other you in another bubble in the multiverse? if there is a soul, which one of your dopplegangers has it...

ow.... migraine....

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

reply to post by blowfishdl

Than how do you pick which parts you take literally?

We use our sense of reason and good judgement.

Doesn't this mean that the meaning could change over time as the moral zeitgeist shifts through generations?

Humanity is subject to paradigm shifts whether we like it or not. To subscribe to a religion won't change that.

Speaking from an atheist standpoint.

[edit on 26/11/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Take a look at the 'false prophet's' pocketbook would be my first advice.

What if its just a delusional individual? how would you tell the difference...

Could just be a nutbag who's not in it for money.

Then if the prophet sets himself up with a closeness to God that is unobtainable to everyone else, that's another clue

Apply the same reasoning to scripture. Aren't all those people claiming to have a closeness to god that has never been obtained?

Continuing this line of thinking... Who's to say that JC was the real deal then... maybe he was a false prophet... he fits this discription of closeness unobtainable.

The false prophet thing works both ways of course, many Christians are suspicious of religious texts and ideas that are very beneficial, simply because they are not Biblical in origin.

Agree... read the lost books of the bible...

for believer and non-believer alike... it is VERY eye opening.

[edit on 26-11-2008 by nj2day]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

That's a question I hadn't thought about. If there are universes stretching to infinity are there equal number of souls for each individual?

This makes things all the more problematic.

It makes the idea that many backwater-town Christians hold that we are alone in the universe pretty silly if God has infinite 'children'.

I'll have to think about this abit and get back to you.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

Ultimately we can never follow another man's path, no matter how close he may or may not be to God.

It is up to each of us to find salvation, enlightenment, whatever, and non of us will do it in the exact same way as someone else, if we do it at all.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf

But a good all powerful and all knowing deity wouldn't do that... It doesn't make sense...

This makes the bible as enigmatic and ambiguous as reading Nostradamus or reading your horoscope.

Humanity is subject to paradigm shifts whether we like it or not. To subscribe to a religion won't change that.

I agree on paradigm shifts... however this would mean the religions of the world are false, from the perspectives of the founders. (which I'm not totally in disagreement with, but we know believers wouldn't accept that).

Speaking from an atheist standpoint.

bah, I know what you believe wolf
I speak from the same perspective, as I'm sure you know

devils advocate is fun sometimes though

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

reply to post by nj2day

That's a question I hadn't thought about. If there are universes stretching to infinity are there equal number of souls for each individual?

Some people think that we do not have individual souls, but are all individual extensions of one master seat of consciousness, or "God" if you think of god as simply the sum of everything spiritual and physical. I plean towards that beleif; I think if "God" is infinite then that would kind of align with your question.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
This forum has become tarnished with disinformation and false actualizations.

I hope for gods sake you guys keep to the word.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I will not be seeking salvation from a non-omnipotent non-omniscient fraudulent christian god. I expect more from a deity...

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
This forum has become tarnished with disinformation and false actualizations.

I hope for gods sake you guys keep to the word.

yet, has not addressed the points made in the OP...

just a hit and run, praise god, your all doomed post...

sigh...

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
You may believe as you wish. That's what free will is. Its the negativity of the world that brings down the vibrations of the earth as a whole. The duality of man is the problem. If we focus all our energies on the good this world will transform right before our eyes.

[edit on 11-26-2008 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

Shut down and not even acknowledge the discrepancies presented in your religious text?

My OP does not disprove the existence of a supreme being... no one can disprove this...

Instead it proves that the christian god, as described in the contradictory christian descriptions, cannot exist as discribed... Therefore, the bible can not be correct... thus... Christianity is null...

you mention free will... even though through scripture I showed how christians can not have free will...

[edit on 26-11-2008 by nj2day]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

But a good all powerful and all knowing deity wouldn't do that... It doesn't make sense...

This makes the bible as enigmatic and ambiguous as reading Nostradamus or reading your horoscope.

The bible will enigmatic and ambiguous regardless of what we do. The other thing is that we are limited to our ability to reason. If God exists then he knows that (which is why I think he didn't inspire the bible).

I agree on paradigm shifts... however this would mean the religions of the world are false, from the perspectives of the founders. (which I'm not totally in disagreement with, but we know believers wouldn't accept that).

Religions are false if they change values and principles over time. But in theory a personal relationship with God is possible - which is a philosophy I took when I was a christian... which subsequently lead to atheism hehe.

devils advocate is fun sometimes though

That's for damn sure. [budum tish*]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for some scripture to disprove the Christian God once and for all. You haven't shown me diddly squat.

Flawed logic does not prove anything.

Limited capacity to reason is no excuse.

Where's the beef?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

reply to post by nj2day

Some people think that we do not have individual souls, but are all individual extensions of one master seat of consciousness, or "God" if you think of god as simply the sum of everything spiritual and physical. I plean towards that beleif; I think if "God" is infinite then that would kind of align with your question.

Well if that's the case then it's impossible to be damned. Tot DANG!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Religions are false if they change values and principles over time. But in theory a personal relationship with God is possible - which is a philosophy I took when I was a christian... which subsequently lead to atheism hehe.

My transition to Atheism began with reading the bible... cover to cover...

I then decided to see if other religious books were just as messed up/contradictory... I read many many many books... many texts from religions long dead...

in the end, the realization came when I realized that I had no reason to believe in the christian god more than say Amun-Ra, Zeus, Neptune or Thor.

then realizing that all religions die, and the world goes on...

some thinking happened... and blammo! Existentialism

From there, its kind of a teeny baby step to atheism LOL

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Than you are ignoring the OP.

just answer one question for me then...

Can god create a rock so heavy he can't lift it?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I would also like a decent response on why the logic is flawed?

From where I sit, it would appear the information is flawed... and the logical conclusion of this flawed logic is a paradox.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

reply to post by dooper

Than you are ignoring the OP.

just answer one question for me then...

Can god create a rock so heavy he can't lift it?

Yes, god can create a rock he can not lift, but because for god it is merely a choice. When he chooses the rock to be so heavy to lift, then that is what it is and he will not be able to lift that rock. When he chooses the rock can be lifted, then it can be lifted.

It is all about choice.

When you go to a poker game, what stops you from just looking at everyone elses cards? Because you choose to play by those rules. If you choose not to play by those rules, then you can just reach over and turn the cards rightside up.

I'll post about the nature of the universe and the only way free will can exist next.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join