It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Urged to Take Action Against Killer Asteroids

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
If a Huge planetoid had not hit the earth billions of years ago

We would have no Moon,

We would have 1 mile high tides every day.

300-500 MPH winds everywhere.

No seasons as we have them as such.

And probably just plankton on this earth now at best.

Hey the earth probably needs a break from humans, maybe it would be a good thing to decrease population with no NWO agenda and start afresh...

What kills and destroys can also after some time create and heal.

Makes me laugh the very same people who say, "Humans cant affect the environment weather" etc, postulate trying to stop this sort of event.

Humans probably could do it, stop most of them.... but look at comet Shoe Maker Levi, the explosions on Jupiter were bigger than earth, and it broke up into many different bits unexpectedly first.

I also suggest they finish looking for them all first before trying to stop any... the search and survey is to say in a generous way incomplete.

IMHO if a big one is undetected and on a path to hit us within the next 20 yrs were toast!

The earth breaths a sigh of relief!

Elf.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I heard there are less people watching out for killer asteroids than it takes
to staff a fast-food resaurant! Hope it's not true.

Great topic here, and one that we owe to geologist Eugene Shumaker; the scientist who published the 'Mechanics of Impact', while studying Meteor Crater in Arizona, waiting for his trip to the moon. He wasn't the first to suspect the crater was made from a space projectile, but the first to spell it out. Up until then, it was believed to be an extinct volcano.

He shot his 30.06 rifle into the sand, filming at high speed to demonstrate the massive crater-to-bullett size ratio that an incoming object creates.

And a bullett moves in slow motion, compared to asteroids, comets, and meteors. Like posters above, I agree there won't be much we can do about it. Except maybe jump on the snake-oil sales type pitch, and sell "Asteroid Repellent" to those who think they can survive!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pault0126

if 1 nuke dont move it out the way then we will have to drop hundreds of the fukers on it lol

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
i think there is plenty of different solutions IF you have advanced warning.
nukes could be used, we have plenty we could practically break it up into so many pieces that even the largest of them would burn up before impact.
solar sails, while requiring a much longer time to be effective, could actually alter the objects path enough, especially if it will be several passes before it hits, if that is the case i actually think half a meter a year would be enough.
one could use lasers to speed up the process.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join