It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Urged to Take Action Against Killer Asteroids

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

U.N. Urged to Take Action Against Killer Asteroids

www.foxnews.com

VIENNA, Austria — It is disaster planning on a galactic scale: Space experts want to come up with a contingency plan on what to do in case a killer asteroid collides with Earth.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The experts, including former American astronaut Rusty Schweickart, told U.N. officials Tuesday that the international community needs a plan to counter so-called Near Earth Objects in advance of the potential catastrophe.

It was about time, I thought there was already a plan to deal with this kind of threat worlwide but apparently no. If a killer asteroid collides with earth, do you guys think we have the resources or technology to stop it? or to do something about it with misiles or smthg else?

Cheers to all!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This isn't Hollywood- the day after tomorrow, deep impact, Armageddon(man, did that movie suck)...I'm sure there is a plan set and ready regarding this topic. It's 2008. I'm assuming there was some sort of multi-country collaboration many years ago, with decades of research, development and maybe even alien technology. What are governments tell us, or release, is one thing, what they really have is another.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulite

I wish they would listen, but they rarely do. I for one do not know what to do in the case of an asteroid impact because there is no civilian program to provide safety. I'm sure this isn't the same for government officials.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulite

I am pretty sure that if a large enough asteroid DOES collide with earth... We won't be doing much of anything.

At the same time, even with some notice of such an asteroid coming, what COULD we do? Divert it's course somehow? Armageddon comes to mind.

I think when it's meant to happen, it will... If it's true about past asteroids that the various space programs THOUGHT were going to hit, and the threat existed... Then they would do as they have in the past and make sure most people had no idea.

I never understood the fear of telling people the world is about to end. If the world was about to end, what is to gain in preventing fear and chaos, or is it simply putting us out of our existence kindly, without misery before hand?

Rant End.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
if it was a "killer asteroid" then most if not all of us would be SOL and all that preparation would be for naught

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I think maybe the best bet would be some sort of heat laser. just zap it like a baked potato and maybe if it gets hot enough it will fall apart. I cant begin to imagine the consequences of setting off a nuke in space. maybe im wrong here, but wouldnt the blast radus keep expanding with nothing to give it friction in space? also what would happen to radioactive "dark" matter/plasma? isnt that how spiderman became venom?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I don't think we could do anything. Depends on the size of the asteroid. They are thousands of amature astronomers looking in space all the time. So there is no way it would be kept quiet.

Alot of this have been in the media of late=

The Meteor that flew over Canada.

There was A Movie on Called Meteor, on Saturday.

Tony Robinson's shows about Catastrophic Events.

Now this.

You think they are trying to tell us something?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TSOM87
I don't think we could do anything. Depends on the size of the asteroid. They are thousands of amature astronomers looking in space all the time. So there is no way it would be kept quiet.
Alot of this have been in the media of late=
The Meteor that flew over Canada.
There was A Movie on Called Meteor, on Saturday.
Tony Robinson's shows about Catastrophic Events.
Now this.
You think they are trying to tell us something?

They may be wanting the 'civilized' population to begin worrying about mortality and ruination.

They may be wanting to acknowledge, at least among the elite themselves, that if they are to survive they will need to engineer a large-scale operation to 'control' the remaining wretched and destitute population.

They could be trying to correlate data from international sources that the media simply will not provide to the population without 'profit' being the outcome. Or from nations that are simply not mutually inclined to cooperate.

Or perhaps they realize that even in the world of political and ideological bullcrap that they have constructed for mankind, you still have to address reality - especially reality you can neither control nor predict.

In the final analysis, what they can do is moot. What they will do is dependent on the games they have been playing for over 50 years. A game with imaginary lines in between people, and getting people to 'yeild' to their lofty image of humanitarianism.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I guess what ever they come up with or already have.....we'll never hear or see anything about it.......

Keeping the public "dumb" has the highest priority with our Gov.

Sleep well........

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Come on, my favorite is "solar winds will be caught in these Mylar sails". Just let the solar winds radiating through the galaxy to deter its course.

First, I doubt we would know anything until it was too late. An asteroid capable of total destruction, or even large area destruction, would be a secret to keep people from panicing. Mankind is a fickle bunch and would break down to the point of anarchy and suicide at the news that such a thing was about to happen.

What can we do? I have no idea. Perhaps all those aliens that are supposed to be visiting and living on the moon and mars would intervene. Perhaps the governments of the world do have some sort of laser or microwave or anti-matter technology that could be launched to nudge the path or reduce the size enough to avoid total destruction. I doubt even the scientists at NASA or MIT know of an effective way to deter such an event. I do think there are some that sit around working on this scenario, but we will never know about it until a space ball comes burning towards our space ball.

I am not concerned though. Life is fragile and short. My life is not so important that I am going to be afraid or loose any sleep over this hypothetical situation, even if it does happen for real. My contingency plan in a global killer asteroid event is to load up my dogs, get together with my family, cook a decent meal and ride it out. There is no reason to fear death unless you fear what comes next.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I'm just wondering how much it will cost, to be honest.

Global economy is said to be at a major low, people around the world are losing their houses, their cars, in some cases their lives over it.

Do we really want to further deflate the currency-balloon just to prevent some hypothetical threat, to which Earth has been vulnerable to from the moment it started to cool down?

I for one would rather have real people seeing real benefit of the money it would take to build this thing. Que sera, sera. When our number is up, we will go down, no matter how many technological marvels we construct to stave off the inevitable.

just my 2 cents

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
I think maybe the best bet would be some sort of heat laser. just zap it like a baked potato and maybe if it gets hot enough it will fall apart. I cant begin to imagine the consequences of setting off a nuke in space. maybe im wrong here, but wouldnt the blast radus keep expanding with nothing to give it friction in space? also what would happen to radioactive "dark" matter/plasma? isnt \that how spiderman became venom?

LOL well with comets It will porbally work from far away as the target area will turn into jets.. which can stear the comet away from us.. don't know about asteroids... perhaps nuclear is the only option??? or wouldnt that make things worst?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You know what they would need in order to "combat" the threat of an asteroid collision? No surprise this was said on fox news home of radical right wing republicanobots.... becauuuuuuuuse.... we would need......

One World Government.

I think they would much rather play the asteroid card because playing the alien invasion card would ruin our sterile opinions on what's real and what's fantasy. An asteroid is perfect because it's known to exist and what's there to make a person think too deeply about a big giant rock slamming into something at insane speeds? That's conventional enough to keep people's thoughts in a box. Conventional and I think more terrifying than aliens invading. With aliens, there may be a small chance of victory, even if that is slim.... but with an asteroid, you can't reason with or outsmart a giant rock traveling at tens of thousands of miles per hour towaerds you.

You are completely helpless in the face of a 6 mile wide rock.

..... and if the threat became "imminent", we would be asking anybody to do anything no matter what the personal cost, because we're so brainwashed into believing our lives are more precious than our quality of life because you get one life and then you cease....according to the new one world religion of atheism.

THAT, my friends, is when you get the FEMA camps, the troops knocking down your door, the really in your face and aggressive NWO that people have been talking about.

Keep an eye on this, dude.

[edit on 26-11-2008 by dunwichwitch]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

1. The sun produces many many many thousands of times more energy than a nuclear weapon, and we're doing just fine. If it was too close, there might be some EMP effect, but that beats total human extinction.

2. Dark matter is not produced by a nuclear explosion. Radioactive matter is not dark matter. Most of the radioactive matter would probably be deflected by the atmosphere.

3. Spiderman is not real.

In short, nuking the thing is the best option because let's face it... that's the only option we've got.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
reply to post by drsmooth23

3. Spiderman is not real.

WHAT?!?! my entire life has been a LIE?! I no longer have the will to live

im still saying setting off a nuke in space presumably close to earth would be pretty bad. maybe just a EMP, or maybe radioactive rain, or who knows. im just saying i dont want to experiment with the "dark" stuff and radioactivty, though you are right about the sun blasting out megatons, at least thats what science says and those guys are NEVER wrong

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Fortunately, the vast majority of the radioactive particles produced by a nuclear explosion are created from the stuff destroyed by the bomb, not the bomb itself.

The atmosphere would handle the radiation. If the nuke was used far enough away to deflect an earth-killing asteroid, we'd probably barely see the flash let alone feel the effects of the EMP.

The real problem isn't what to hit them with. The big problem is finding a way to know where we're swinging at...

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The UN can't even control or mediate events on this planet so how the f**k do they think they will be able to make provisions for 'killer asteroids'......

If it's an ELE you're better off having your last beer, watching the event, sticking your head between your legs and kissing your ass good bye......

Because the UN ain't gonna be able to do bugger all about it before or after the event......

FACT

MR

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I've heard talk of this for years and quite frankly I already thought they would have some kind of joint, world defense in the works so to speak. This isn't an option.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

According to a program I saw on the History channel a while back, The scientists state that if the Asteroid is "solid" meaning that it is made of iron or very solid rock, a nuclear blast will nudge it out of the way.

However, according to them some asteroids are "porous" and a nuclear blast will be absorbed and will not have enough effect to move it out of the way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join