It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush pardons 14 and commutes 2 prison sentences

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Bush pardons 14 and commutes 2 prison sentences

www.google.com

President George W. Bush has granted pardons to 14 individuals and commuted the prison sentences of two others convicted of misdeeds including drug offenses, tax evasion, wildlife violations and bank embezzlement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Well . . . the official silly season begins . . .

Fourteen of our finest upstanding citizens who were found guilty in our judicial system no longer have to pay for their sins, so to speak.

If you do the crime, do the ti . . . er . . . pay your penalt . . . er . . . hope you got some links to the prez!!!!!!!

I'm glad to see he hasn't turned his back on the financial sector in his gladhanding of 'get out of jail free' cards . . . there are three in there that were found guilty of embezzlement of bank funds . . . go figure.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Don't you all love democracy and its new definition? I hope the former definition is restored some day, but everytime I hear Bush's name I cringe and feel a little less hopeful.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Before anyone (else) comes on to make uninformed comments, please take the time to review previous pardons by previous Presidents.

Let's see if Bush can come close to Clinton when it comes to outrageous pardons.

The worst I ever saw was Clinton pardoning Marc Rich, a billionaire convicted of tax evasion, fled US athorities, and gave up his US citizenship. Clinton pardoned him. Let's see if Bush can top that one?

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

A hell of alot of difference between these and the huge offenses pardoned by his predecessors...although, I do not support the ability of POTUS to do this...EVER

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Well compare to all the people that he sentenced to death in Texas I guess he is making up for all the guilt.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
And just how did those Border patrol agents fair I wonder. Surely they were pardoned for doing their jobs and trying to protect this country.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Why does the President have this power? Surely this is not in keeping with the seperation of the judiciary from the executive and legislative branches?

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I'm glad to see he hasn't turned his back on the financial sector in his gladhanding of 'get out of jail free' cards . . . there are three in there that were found guilty of embezzlement of bank funds . . . go figure.

Before condemning the pardons maybe some research into why they should be pardoned.

This is on the embezzlement case of William Hoyle McCright Jr.

On appeal, the government concedes that the conviction on count two for misapplication of bank funds under section 1006 should be reversed since that section does not apply to bankers. Accordingly, we reverse McCright's conviction on count two; in addition, we find insufficient evidence to support a conviction on count one for misapplication of bank funds under section 656. However, we affirm McCright's conviction on the remaining two counts, and remand for resentencing.

cases.justia.com...

Now without researching the entire case, I can already see where the government charged this guy with two counts they shouldn't have. I wonder if the remaining two counts were based on trump up charges also.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by KMFNWO

We all should blanket the whitehouse with emails, these guys should definitely be pardoned!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you cite a legal case? I forgot...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by KMFNWO

From the last report I read, the border patrol agents never submitted the paperwork to ask for a pardon.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Bush never sentence people to death row, the people of Texas did. Bush never interfered is a different story. Although I do believe he gave Henry Lee Lucas clemency and commuted his sentence to life.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by KMFNWO

From the last report I read, the border patrol agents never submitted the paperwork to ask for a pardon.

It's sad to say but I can actually appreciate that!

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

From what I understand, a person doesn't necessarily have to submit paperwork to receive a presidential pardon.

Pardon

A presidential pardon may be granted at any time, however, and as when Ford pardoned Nixon, the pardoned person need not yet have been convicted or even formally charged with a crime. Clemency may also be granted without the filing of a formal request and even if the intended recipient has no desire to be pardoned.

[edit on 11/24/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Before condemning the pardons maybe some research into why they should be pardoned.

This is on the embezzlement case of William Hoyle McCright Jr.

On appeal, the government concedes that the conviction on count two for misapplication of bank funds under section 1006 should be reversed since that section does not apply to bankers. Accordingly, we reverse McCright's conviction on count two; in addition, we find insufficient evidence to support a conviction on count one for misapplication of bank funds under section 656. However, we affirm McCright's conviction on the remaining two counts, and remand for resentencing.

cases.justia.com...

Now without researching the entire case, I can already see where the government charged this guy with two counts they shouldn't have. I wonder if the remaining two counts were based on trump up charges also.

So . . . why not appeal it like everyone else has to?

I get charge, found guilty . . . I have to appeal as I don't have an in with Bush and Obama stopped taking my calls altogether . . . what's a convicted felon to do????

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
No doubt 12 of the 14 who got out was for Bank Embezzlement.
Probably did it for him.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Thanks Keyhole for the info. I look further and these border patrol agents have a lot of backing. Looks like things have changed.

A Border Patrol agent sentenced to prison along with his partner for shooting and wounding a man smuggling drugs into the U.S. will appear with a congressman tomorrow at a rally asking President Bush to offer a pardon.

Jose Alonso Compean and Ignacio Ramos, were sentenced to 12 years and 11 years, respectively, in October by U.S. District Court Judge Kathleen Cardone in El Paso, Texas. The drug smuggler was granted immunity for his testimony.

Compean will be joined by family; Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R, Calif.; Minuteman Project founder Jim Gilchrist; and members of other border-security groups such as Friends of the Border Patrol at the courthouse in Santa Ana, Calif., at 1:30 p.m. Pacific time tomorrow.

(Story continues below)

source

I expect them to get a well deserved Christmas present.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Does anyone see the irony in having two Border patrol persons who are evidently hispanic in origin protecting the US from hispanic immigration?

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

So . . . why not appeal it like everyone else has to?

They probably did appeal. Appeals deal with errors made during trial not the verdict a jury gives. It is a taunting task to overturn the decision of a jury unless there was jury or prosecutor misconduct. Many innocent people go to jail and it takes many years to convince people of their innocence. Sometimes a pardon is the quickest way.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Petition signed.....thanks

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join