It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President-elect Obama to target abstinence-only programmes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

President-elect Obama to target abstinence-only programmes

www.pinknews.co.uk

The President-elect, who will take office on January 20th, is rumoured to be considering up to 200 executive orders to overturn those issued by his predecessor on everything from the use of torture to stem-cell research and carbon emissions.

There will also be change in current policy that bars the US from funding organisations that offer or advise about abortion or offer sex education.....

The President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) was created in 2003 and has increased the number of Africans receiving anti-retroviral treatment from 50,000 to 1.2 million.

However, by law one-third of that prevention funding must teach exclusively abstinence until marriage programmes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
I think missionaries should be outlawed

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
(Now, before the bickering begins, ths article seems to focus on requirements for outgoing AIDS treatment plans, NOT US school sex-ed programs. Please keed that in mind. )

Here's another thing that I hope P-E Obama follows through with.

As we were discussing in the "Missionary" thread, it is absolutely reprehensible to offer aid to people but put a religious prerequisite on receiving the help.

I do not like the idea of foreign aid at all, but if we must have it, how to spend it should be at the discresion of the people who are on the ground, visiting the recipiants, and know what their needs are.

And to those of you who are going to step in with the "Abstinence is the only safe birth control" rhetoric, please keep in mind that these programs are NOT designed to be given to school kids, they are going out to the entire African population, most of whom are married. By Christian standars they have the "right" to have sex, and should also have the right to reliable birth control and help preventing disease.

www.pinknews.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Geees, This will definatly fill the MSM with headlines. This is a touchy subject to many. Both sides of the coin have horses in this race.

Zindo

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
As we were discussing in the "Missionary" thread, it is absolutely reprehensible to offer aid to people but put a religious prerequisite on receiving the help.

Not that I'm looking for a fight, but I would like to point out that Abstinence is not a religious requirement nor is anyone who offers this aid forcefully proselytizing anyone before the receive aid. Abstinence is just good common sense and the only effective way to prevent disease. Sure you can argue that condoms and other things work but that's just BS. eventually the condoms break or they are not used at all and you know it! So what's wrong with teaching good common sense to people?

but I suppose their are morons born every day that think they will never get a VD or AIDS. But that's just because no one ever shows the other side of sexual promiscuity. All anyone ever sees is the glamorous side. And besides all that those who believe that Abstinence is bad is in my book a reprobate. go on and practice what ever sexual perversion you like you will eventually catch up to your ignorant self.

Try working with someone with Aids and watch the light and life leave their body as the choices that they made methodically and sadistically destroy them.

Truth is You don't know a damn thing About it do you? or about those in Africa with AIDS or here for that matter so why don't you sit down and shut up?!

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
well if Obama wants to get rid of abstinence only programs Hooray! The only thing that prevents unwanted pregnancy is the proper use of birthcontrol

Abstinence can be taught by parents and pastors

reproductive health is to important to be linked to a stupid fundamentalist doctrine whose only purpose is to marginalize women .

Yay Obama

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Well bible or not ...(in other words I know you cant make kids not have sex ..but you can teach them what it is and why it is etc ..and what it can cause ..and what it means ....to the other person and to you ....
I told my kids to keep from getting diseases ...and to keep from getting a girl from getting pregnant ...and to feel good about what love actually is you need to abstain as much as possible and for sure dont be a whore if you cant abstain *this was to my 2 sons.......sex is so not fulfilling when it is just for relief ....and ...until you meet the one love that you feel like you want to be a part of ..because that is what sex actually was supposed to do ..you become as one ........

I also told them most young girls ..will more than likely fall in love once you did do it with them .. (or so they think) and you would have to break their heart and would feel like you used them if you just did it to relieve yourself ....and that some girls want to be pregnant and would do it just to get pregnant ...

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Graystar

Currently, as stated by the article, AIDS relief programs must spend at least 1/3 of their funding on abstinence-only eduation if they are to qualify for US federal aid.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by Graystar

Currently, as stated by the article, AIDS relief programs must spend at least 1/3 of their funding on abstinence-only eduation if they are to qualify for US federal aid.

I dont see anything wrong with teaching anyone abstinance first.and 1/3 is not that much towards something that would help them all in the long run ....

Are you saying they do not even get offered birth control ?

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Simplynoone

I don't know what specifically they teach because I imagine it would vary from program by program.

However I do not think there should be prerequisites like that.

I think the people actually doing the legwork should say what the money is spent on.

They are the ones that see what is actually needed there.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I'm all for getting rid of abstinence programs. It isn't helping teenage pregnancies at all, I mean ask Palin's daughter about that one.

We need to start telling people about birth control, because if they are going to do it, no fire and brimstone speech is going to stop them from doing it.

It's better that they are safe while doing it, at least.

[edit on 16-11-2008 by davion]

top topics

join