It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts say humans can live to 1000.. would you want to?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

Because we are like children I believe that with that we would grow out if it...like a phase.. think about it most people think they only have 80 years to live.. so what do they do? they get greedy to fulfill all of lifes desires within that time span.. if we had no limit to our lives.. I believe that need would be gone and instead we would find TIME to help others and make the world a better place to live.. I beleive greed is not human nature.. it is a condition of our environment that creates it.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

from what I understand aging occurs because of genetic decay.. and less and less cells reproduce(and accurately.. the genetic decay is somewhat timed... also radiation and environment plays its role but the body does have the ability to combat most environmental factors as IF cells could be reproduced without corruption.. if we could put a stop to this then we have found the fountain of youth..

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I don’t know about a thousand years but I and many of my friends are younger than twenty five. I think it is plausible that if we can make it to one hundred, say with out being hit by a bus, we may very well make it to live another hundred years. Imagine how much new technology is going to spring up between 2008 and 2100? The possibilities at this point are ambitious, but increasingly in our history science fiction is becoming reality.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Immortality would be ok, think of all the firsts you would witness. You could explore the universe when technology is available because you have all the time there is. You could learn all musical instruments, read everything ever published or become a master of all trades. It boggles the mind. As long as you are young, healthy and mentally alert the world and universe would be your oysters.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by thefreepatriot

I agree that on a minor level greed makes people chase after material things,makes them want to always take instead of give etc.

But greed is also a global thing.
Empires were not built because those in charge lacked something,it was because they coveted things that was not theirs.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Any of you ever seen Darren Aranofsky's film, "The Fountain"? If not, do so, then come back to this thread.

[edit on 11/12/2008 by prototism]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
wouldnt that put puberty at about 150 years old
imagine being a virgin for the first 150 years lol

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I would rather use cryogenics in a highly protected environment first, and have a monitoring program to awaken from time to time until the NWO totally destroys itself, as that is inevitable. Then I would go for the 1000 year possibilities.

It is likely that people may want to start freezing themselves and order a highly protected and defended environment to retire and to refuse to work for these scoundrels for as long as it takes. When they are gone gone gone, then life begins, otherwise we are facing death, from soft kill and hard kill for possibly a long time. The soft kill of fluoride everywhere, while it is sprayed on crops, the endless conundrum of harmful excitotoxins such as MSG, the big business poisoning of people and dumbing down, all these things indicate a speedy retreat from the social structure entirely. It is flawed, dangerous, and morally wrong. Until they totally destroy themselves, and until they are gone, it is appropriate as in nature to hibernate. What good is 1000 years of NWO hell anyway?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

Aging basically is a disease because there is nothing in our blueprint (DNA) that specifies death or cell decay.

Calling it a disease implies that there is a cure.
Our body is naturally built to start decaying at a certain age.The same goes for all other life on the planet.
Diseases are not built in,they attack the body,they are another life force feeding off our life force.So,unlike death,which is part of our nature,these diseases can be treated and cured.(not all,yet.obviously)

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
No.

The reason I say that is this:

Would you want to see your friends and family all die off - your children and their children and their children - if they decided not to get the (technology, drugs, treatments, etc.?) My fear would be that very scenario would play out and I would die unhappy and extremely old.

If it were just me and I knew we were all getting it - regardless - I'd say hell yeah. Think of the advances we could make as a race with 1000 year life-spans. Think of the technology, the world-changing motions, things like that.

The great scientists of today would be able to continue their work for centuries without interrupt.

If it were me and my family/friends - Yes
If it were just me - No

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I don't know about most of you guys, but to me, the thought of living to be 1,000 years old is the most depressing thing I have ever heared. Just look at how terrible our world is now. Should we really expect it to be any better in 1,000 years. We have already created nukes and other weapons of mass destruction, imagine what other horrible creations the evil doers of this planet could think up if they were given 1,000 years to do so.

Me personally, I would be thrilled just to make it to 60.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Just ran through the synopsis of "The Fountain" and while outliving a loved one would be a bitch but it happens now anyway. You can let it consume you to where you withdraw and await death or you can go on. Cue Celine Dion "A World To Believe In".

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Velvet Death
Just ran through the synopsis of "The Fountain" and while outliving a loved one would be a bitch but it happens now anyway. You can let it consume you to where you withdraw and await death or you can go on. Cue Celine Dion "A World To Believe In".
Its not about the sadness that comes with losing a loved one prematurely. Its about the idea that death is a part of life.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by thefreepatriot
reply to post by Demandred

lol no how about super duper nintendo 6400 wii #2 cube squared enterainment system. I am amazed the company has lasted so long and would not be surprised if they lasted 1000 years more..

yea only the good die young

with that theory the only thing left on this planet when it all gos belly up are Nintendo

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I for one would love to live to be a thousand, Think of all that I would see and the changes that will happen within that thousand years so I may just try and find a vampire to turn me so I can live forever.........

[edit on 12-11-2008 by cmd18B]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
My first thoughts are that I had better stop drinking because my liver is never going to last past 100 years.

My next thought would be what was the real age of the girl sitting next to me in the bar last night?? (a thought from the future) I guess it wouldn't matter because she looks good and there is a good chance that she knows what she is doing...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Whether it is 100, 500, 1000, 10000 years or until the stars burn out I would want to postpone death until I understand Why. I would hope for something more profound than a silly 42 answer.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
We all regenerate, every day of our lives. However we gradually lose the race against cellular breakdown. A number of natural substances are known to increase regeneration and prevent damage, most of these being anti-oxidants.

It's possible that a small group of humans exist who have a genetic mutation which enables cellular repair on a larger scale. It's also possible we are the mutants, having lost the ability to produce our own vitamin C, and that has drastically shortened our lifespans.

One way a person could manage in society without being noticed as an immortal would be to stage a death or just dissappear every now and then, and start again somewhere else in the world, or pretend to be your own offspring.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I for one would not care to live for 1000 years. not even if i could stay young and vibrant, not even if i could do so without losing those closest to me every generation.

I believe in reincarnation, and i believe that our souls need that time between incarnations to rechange itself and to prepare to take what it learned in each life into the next.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Stem cells hold the key.

Just think about it... Why would there be people on this planet kill thousands or even millions in war, yet resist stem cell research. People would live too long and become empowered / emboldened.

Stem cells are the universal key to halt aging completely and renew all the human body contains. I'll make a bet that science can already (and have) synthesized human stem cells from scratch.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join