It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts say humans can live to 1000.. would you want to?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
yes you can see and do more things with your life.n

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

lol....

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
No thank you, I want out of this planet. 1000 years of living with people who can't get along, unawakened sheep, materialistic pigs, totalitaristic governments and orders, dogma and radical humanity? Take me to a better place, please.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
1000? I'm interested in reincarnation and life learning (karma). I want 10 x 100 year lives or even preferrably 20 x 50 year lives. What can one accomplish with an extra-long life? In living 10 lives instead of one long one - you can go through an assortment of life lessons and learnings.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bonaire

Yeah, it would be nice if there were some type of cellular regeneration technology. You could also be given the choice of wiping the majority of your memory during this regeneration process, of course leaving all your motor processes and intrinsic knowledge in tact, if having lived so long you have developed some poor psychological health issues that you can no longer deal with. But then what would really be the point?

[edit on 16-11-2008 by cognoscente]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jakyll
Calling it a disease implies that there is a cure.

Like there is a cure for suffocation? No....

Our body is naturally built to start decaying at a certain age.

We have found nothing that indicates that so far. What we do see is that some people of 45 year in 'official' age have the physical health of 35 year old people. People age at different speeds depending on their exposure to environmental toxins and general solar emissions. As these does damage to our DNA we slowly lose the capacity to regenerate/copy our DNA accurately and thus slowly the ability to regenerate the organs and everything else.

The same goes for all other life on the planet.
Diseases are not built in,they attack the body,they are another life force feeding off our life force.

It has absolutely nothing to do with 'life force' ( whatever you mean by that) and everything to do with the basic processes of life. Some life forms ( diseases in this instance ) merely propagate by killing certain others just like we slaughter animals for sustenance.

So,unlike death,which is part of our nature,these diseases can be treated and cured.(not all,yet.obviously)

If death was part of anythings nature animals would not try to avoid it by fighting for survival and neither would human beings. Death is the antithesis to life itself and that is why life will do terrible things to other life forms to ensure their own continued survival.

Stellar

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesterMan
I don't know about most of you guys, but to me, the thought of living to be 1,000 years old is the most depressing thing I have ever heared.

Really? Having everyone living long enough to experience the results of their own mistakes thus giving them a chance to improve on past behaviour?

Just look at how terrible our world is now. Should we really expect it to be any better in 1,000 years.

Yes as it's certainly a better place than it was a thousand years ago? Doesn't anyone read books ( it may be too bold to suggest that their history books) anymore? bah.

We have already created nukes and other weapons of mass destruction,

And we also generate power that allows hospitals, water treatment and all kinds of other human services to function. In fact nuclear power has so far most certainly saved more lives than it has destroyed despite the fact that i obviously had the potential to kill many more. Either way i agree that i would be more comfortable with solar/wind and other renewable's.

imagine what other horrible creations the evil doers of this planet could think up if they were given 1,000 years to do so.

Imagine what we could do given another thousand years of experience in how to counter their plots and undermine their designs?

Me personally, I would be thrilled just to make it to 60.

Well i am sure we can organize suicide booths for the likes of your depressed self. Too bad really as these suicidal tendencies are not very respectable in educated people beyond their early twenties.

Stellar

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sabrinaleena
If by some genetic twist this meant I couldn't have offspring as some have hinted at... then that's acceptable to me. To assume my own genes need to be carried on more than others would be self centered.

It's what you DO with your life that matters... not how many spawns you create.

Agreed but raising grandchildren or grand-grand children ( to say nothing of everything that may come after) may certainly employ you for a thousand years if you chose to stick around. Think the knowledge and life experience that can be imparted on the young by those who have been around for hundreds of years! Even if people lived to be a thousand having a few children that can literally populate the stars should not 'problem'.

jOriginally posted by Johnsky

I don't think of having children and passing along our genetics and/or positive biological mutations, in addition to a myriad of other things, as having "spawns".

Neither do i and i doubt most think of it that way.

That makes it sound like the idea of reproducing is pointless and downright negative. Mind you, I'm not advocating overpopulation or having children when one isn't able to properly care for them, but you have to admit that every single living thing on earth has one innate need... the need to reproduce and pass along genetic information.

Well i will go so far as to say that reproduction is in fact the only means by which people believe they can truly copy their belief system and send it into the world. I mean we could talk genetics but i am quite confident that parents are more ambitious than just copying their 'genes' and do in fact wish to impart far more. A wise person once said that the best way to make the world a better place is to first be that good person and to then create more of them!

Nearly every single thing that we do as humans is geared towards having children and raising them to be good humans (well, most of us strive for the "good" part), and generally carrying on the legacy of being alive and adapting. Without that biological goal I don't think anything that is alive would stay alive for very long. Not just humans, but any species.

As i suggested at the start there is far more to live than merely raising your own children and certainly once one has done so with a thousand year life span you can raise your children's children children too if you really cared so much for the process.
Either way i believe that with more time to achieve goals people will set them much higher and be far more mindful of taking chances that might come back to haunt them later. People should reflect on the fact that in those parts of the world where people live longest most wealth is also concentrated. I would argue that wealth ( not the super wealthy; middle class if you want) leads as much to longer life expectancy as life expectancy leads to wealth in a mutually reinforcing cycle. As for biological 'goals' we aren't simply animals and with education ( call if indoctrination if you like) you could create empire builders as much as you may in the future create those who can will manage a civilization spanning many solar systems.

From bacteria to plants and yes, humans as well. Thinking deep thoughts is good and all... but at the end of the day biology will have a very definite say in what we strive for in life.

At first perhaps but i think many are selling humanity short when it comes to what we are capable of as individuals or as a species.

Originally posted by Tennvol1
Who would want to live that long? Watching every one you ever loved and care about die.

You would always have children and perhaps in the future with large distances involved a family gathering might take place every few decades ( stars are far apart after all) to introduce the newest members. Sure it sounds like science fiction but 1970 era science fiction is very much science fact today.

And even if everyone lived that long, wouldn't it get kinda over crowded here on the home planet?

Why would it get 'crowed'? Doesn't that just presume that we use the same methods as before to grow food or 'generate' energy and mine minerals? I can understand how people get caught up in this popular propaganda of the elite but frankly we have nothing to fear from more people who will help the rest of us to resist and fight this entrenched wealth and power.

Do we sacrifice progeny for longevity?

Unlike popular mythology it turns out you can have your cake and eat it too. All this nonsense about 'compromise' is mostly the result of the design of those who want to wreck the planet so as to better gain the means to manipulate us. If scarifies ( other than the everyday one's decent human beings willingly accept) were so important why don't those who demand them of us never seem willing to set a example? Sacrifice should come from personal conviction, not form scaremongering by those very organizations and individuals who created the problems in the first place.

If so, then to whom would we pass on all the knowledge and wisdom we aquired?

Humanity? Friends? The multitude of family members and grand children even one child can lead to over a few centuries?

one last thought, if you couldn't regenerate brain cells (which would see to be the biggest hurdle), with thousands dying off every day, you'd be a vegetable or at the very least severely retarded by the time you hit 200.

Another popular myth. We regenerate( certainly generate when we are children) everything in our body including brain matter.

Originally posted by TheOracle

An eternity of debt and misery?
No thank you.

A eternity to learn how to either work yourself out of servitude or learn how to avoid it? A eternity for enslavers to discover the error of their ways and seek forgiveness for their past crimes? Would people so willingly end lives when they do not have to end at all? When we can live forever would we so willingly make enemies that may seek retribution centuries from now? I don't think the world MUST become a better place if everyone lived to be a thousand but i can't see why people having more time to learn from their past mistakes can ever be a bad thing for human evolution.

Having seen Death first hand, I now know that Life is only a passage to another and better realm.

Yes and you are free to speak for yourself. As for the 'better realm' it's funny how often those who discusses the after life are busy destroying the present one for others. I suggest you focus on the one we are sure about and do all your good work now expecting only the rewards that others deem you worthy of.

I think many of those desperate to live forever fear about their "judgment day".

I think many people don't believe in a 'judgement day' to start with and for the most part those who do not make their present lives the best they can without apparently landing up in jail. It's strange that atheist and agnostics are decidedly under represented in our modern prison systems. I mean who do we have after all have to blame but others and ourselves and why does that seem to keep us from becoming criminals? Well i have the answer to that but maybe you have so ideas as well....

Stellar

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The only way living 1000 years would be entertaining enough to consider would be living to see a day that the American people fired all the politicians and started over with people who have no ties with big business.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ch1ldofthe70s

I agree that would be an exciting day.

Although I wonder what the social ramifications would really be. It seems to me that A LOT of things would change nearly over night. Once people realized that they were living indefinately, all of our day to day problems become moot. People would be FORCED to take a more serious look at their actions and how they pertain to the advancement of our society vs. how they are going to get drunk that night. Social injustices would become a thing of the past.
At least that is my fanciful thinking.
People would be more focused on learning all that they could for the sake of exploration and coexistance. Greed would be wiped out nearly all at once.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR

I agree that would be an exciting day.

Although I wonder what the social ramifications would really be. It seems to me that A LOT of things would change nearly over night. Once people realized that they were living indefinately, all of our day to day problems become moot. People would be FORCED to take a more serious look at their actions and how they pertain to the advancement of our society vs. how they are going to get drunk that night. Social injustices would become a thing of the past.
At least that is my fanciful thinking.
People would be more focused on learning all that they could for the sake of exploration and coexistance. Greed would be wiped out nearly all at once.

I am forced to agree somewhat. Seems the general position of most in regards to consequences to the things we do is "That will be the next generations problem to deal with." That would deffinately change if we ARE the next generation so to speak.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Oh, most definately. And as others have mentioned, our thinkers would have ample time to fulfill whatever their wonderful minds are working on. Imagine what would have been even if people like Openheimer and Einstein were alive TODAY, let alone if they were alive 200 years from now.

Not that we don't have brilliant minds today, but with say 500 years of study, Einstein would have single handedly blown the lid off of what we consider reality today.

I also imagine that our current political systems would disappear immediately. What is the point of electing a president for four years when you are going to live to see 100 of them? Once the political systems are revamped, you would see people opting for a system that is more socially responsible vs. the current systems that are fiscally "responsible". Corporate America losses its grip on the world as people realize that we simply don't need their products or their manipulation. People would have a REAL vested interest in making things better for mankind. (I don't need your damned Nike tennis-shoes because I realize it is just the current fad and in buying them I am bringing irreparable harm to society)

People would be more willing to learn. Why not? What else are you going to do with your new eternity on Earth?
What's more is that Space Exploration would quickly become a top priority on the minds of most.

Edit - The political systems would further be undermined by the fact that people would easily see the lies and deceit that has been rampant ONGOING throughout the better part of this past century. And they wouldn't accept it any longer.

[edit on 16-11-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

It is wrong to live for 1000 years, my belief on life is the progression of our soul, what if the human body is very low in progression of the soul.

Plus this worlds much to off it's hinges to even abolish negative thoughts on longevity.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Curing aging?

Aging needs a cure?

Scientists go too far sometimes

They should not do this, it would have too many dire consequences and Madonna would kill for this product!

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychonaughty
reply to post by Dermo

It is wrong to live for 1000 years, my belief on life is the progression of our soul, what if the human body is very low in progression of the soul.

Plus this worlds much to off it's hinges to even abolish negative thoughts on longevity.

A belief is just that. You must admit then that one's belief to live forever would be equally as significant as your own belief that life should only last so long as it is naturally determined.

[edit on 16-11-2008 by cognoscente]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by cognoscente

In terms of spirituality, I think it would be most beneficial to extend our life as long as possible.

What's it matter to your soul anyways? Hell, it's always going to be around anyhow.

Living 1,000+ years would bring so much thought and consideration to every person, in every aspect. Every person would be forced to actually ponder things like spirituality and common good and we would all be better for it.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I would not want to see myself naked at 100, much less 250.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
If you haven't already read "Jitterbug Perfume" by Tom Robbins. It's a FANTASTIC book. Possibly my all time favorite. When I was through I was almost convinced that immortality was totally achievable.

On a separate note, I have been more aware of how often I poison myself or am poisoned. The PCBs in the air, the coffee and soda I drink, the cigs I smoke, the booze I drink, the High Fructose Corn Syrup, the pesticides, the content of public water, there's so much that I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1000 year life if one was to remove all the poisons, start meditating and living a physically active life style. I've always thought this was totally possible.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
If it is possible to achieve this through diet I can say one thing. One of the keys is lots of pineapple.
Bromelaine(sp?) is a protein digesting enzyme found in the extract of the pineapple plant. It is a must have for anyone who is taking any sort of whey protein supplements to build body-mass.
It is absolutely necessary if you wish to avoid over-accumulation of protein on the kidneys.

If it is true that aging is due to the buildup of bad proteins on the body's cells, upping your pineapple intake will help you fight this.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

en.wikipedia.org...

Get shorter with age

altmedicine.about.com...

astragalus Is a plant extract that rebuilds telomeres

www.hollandandbarrett.com...

available here, there are plans to start using it in mainstream medicines so expect the pharmaceutical companies to start withdrawing it from circulation.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join