It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collaspible Batons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Has anyone here ever used a baton to protect themselves? I once asked a martial arts expert how a baton should used and he said swing it with both hands like a baseball bat and beat the knees and then run like hell. That was his advice for someone who did not intend to practice with the baton.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Ive played around with one but if youre serious look into ASP, they make high grade collapsible battons. If you train with it, slip on the wrist strap and swing in a quick strike motion going for the knees, arms and face. Though personally id rather train with a sword.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Before anyone goes out and purchases a "collapsible baton", I would suggest that they check on the legalities of owning and carrying such a weapon (defensive or not) in their legal jurisdictions. In many places, the collapsible baton is considered to be restricted. That said, I would have to say that the collapsible baton is an excellent defensive weapon. It's simple, easy to use and can be carried without attracting much undue attention.

Of course, as mentioned, the collapsible baton is often considered to be a restricted weapon in many places so I would readily suggest that people who desire a self-defense weapon to consider an effective alternative -- the cane! A stout wooden cane can be an extremely potent weapon for personal defense. Easily carried without drawing undue attention, the cane can be a deterrent from physical attack. If potential perpetrators notice that the cane is carried without any obvious apparent need (i.e. without limping, for example), they might think twice before attacking.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

Excellent point. In my area, the largest baton type weapon that you can carry is the small keychain kubaton. Which, if used properly, can inflict a world of hurt on someone in a CQB encounter.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Excellent point. In my area, the largest baton type weapon that you can carry is the small keychain kubaton. Which, if used properly, can inflict a world of hurt on someone in a CQB encounter.

Used properly, there are a number of things that can "inflict a world of hurt". That's my point in suggesting that people regard canes or walking sticks as batons. They avoid most -- if not all -- legal issues and, when used properly, they can most certainly "inflict a world of hurt on someone in a CQB encounter".

I'd like to make one additional suggestion. In a self defense or CQB encounter, one might consider breaking off the radio antenna from a car -- any car. The antenna is very similar to a telescoping baton in it's use. It might save your life or limb and it could prove to be well worth any costs that you might have to pay to repair someone's car if it was taken in an emergency situation.

[edit on 11/14/2008 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RKWWWW

Swing like a bat with two hands? Good lord no.

Look up the Filipino martial arts -- Eskrima/Kali. A very fast and deadly martial arts. All techniques can be used with the kali stick/baton, a sword, knife and/or empty hand. Plus, you learn how to use dual weapons instead of a single stick/knife/sword. An adaptable and aggressive style.

Check out youtube.com for some kali/eskrima videos. These guys are FAST with sticks.

And yes you should look at the legal aspects of owning a telescoping baton. Its different in each state, district, precinct, etc.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Umbrellas make for excellent weapons and have the added advantage over the cane in that the canopy can be un/furled as an additional move to deflect from a blow or thrown object

A collapsible baton could concievably be concealed as part of the mechanism for a collapsable commuter-type umbrella too (within baton-carrying legalities of course
)

another alternative would be the collapsible trekking pole...I have two which I can carry as part of my fell-walking gear that can be rapidly deployed from compact to full-extents in next to no time...completely legal, and as they're made from sturdy aircraft-grade aluminium are light but very strong

[edit on 14-11-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

Umbrellas make for excellent weapons and have the added advantage over the cane in that the canopy can be un/furled as an additional move to deflect from a blow or thrown object

You just watched the "Avengers" too much mate

Before anyone goes out and buys one perhaps they should learn to use it effectively.....just imagine if your attacker gets hold of it? You've just given him a lethal weapon....

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
For anyone in Australia interested in batons, especially collapsible batons, as far as I know, they are illegal to carry without a permit/license. I think the license is tied to your line of work, ie if you don't need it for work, you can't obtain one.
They are highly illegal to carry on you, and even in your car.
You should definitely check up on the laws in your state(I think each state has varying laws), because some states have brought in tougher laws and penalties for weapons.
But nonetheless the collapsible ones are a great self defence tool.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Friend is Police officer in neighboring city - was working an afterhours
security detail at drugstore. Caught some woman doper shoplifting
cosmetics to sell for drugs. When approached her she whipped out a
syringe screaming had AIDS. Pulled his collapsible baton, flicked it open
then broke the wrist holding the syringe, cuffed her and called in for backup. Was over in about 3 seconds...

She did 6 months for assault....

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thedman

OK the best "legal" self-defense weapon in my mind is a 3-Cell "Mag" Flashlight! Think about it have you ever swung one of these machined aluminum bodied flashlights? They are not only useful for what they're intended for but have a nice balanced weight to it that makes it most useful to swing for self-defense, I highly recommend them!

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
It's probably a good idea to clearly explain what we are talking about when we are discussing the "expandable baton". There are a number of similar items that might be mistaken for the subject at hand.
A truncheon or baton (also called a cosh, billystick, billy club, nightstick, sap, blackjack) and expandable types

Since there are so many different types of batons, expandable and otherwise, it might also be an opportune time to avail ourselves of an opportunity to educate ourselves or, in the least, to refresh our knowledge base in regard to batons and the types available.
Expandable batons; what's out there and how to choose

At this same time, I will add a link to a video that demonstrates how a baton might be used in a self-defense situation. Naturally, anyone who has any further interest in the baton -- expandable or otherwise-- might readily find additional information and even instructional videos as to their use.
Self Defense with a Bat or Extendable Baton

Finally, I believe that it is important to reiterate the fact that the laws governing the baton -- expandable and otherwise -- differ under various legal jurisdictions. I did a cursory google search and found that laws regarding these types of weapons differ considerably and it is probably a very good idea to take the time to learn the law in your own particular locale.

[edit on 11/16/2008 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
My job required me to carry one at all times and it is not a toy. The next step on the "ladder of force" above a ASP is your firearm "deadly force." However, in responsible hands it could be invaluable. It is hard to explain the correct way to use one but videos are available on YouTube.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

"Before anyone goes out and purchases a "collapsible baton", I would suggest that they check on the legalities of owning and carrying such a weapon (defensive or not) in their legal jurisdictions."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I carry one in a sheath on my belt when I'm out doing my work. I collect lots of money and am a sitting duck if anyone ever jumped me. I have watched various clips on youtube at how to protect yourself with the baton and have practised them so its become second nature. Up to now, touch wood, it's never had to be drawn but I will if I have to.
I know full well that the baton is illegal in my neck of the woods but if staying within the law means that I have to run the risk of becoming a victim of crime, or maybe even becoming another knifing statistic, then I'm willing to risk it. The police are brilliant at hunting down the killers etc after they've ended some poor souls life and ruined the lives of the victims family, but I'd much sooner protect myself and keep the law out of it. If staying within the law means I could end up on a mortuary slab then it's the law thats wrong. . .

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

Before anyone goes out and purchases a "collapsible baton", I would suggest that they check on the legalities of owning and carrying such a weapon (defensive or not) in their legal jurisdictions. In many places, the collapsible baton is considered to be restricted. That said, I would have to say that the collapsible baton is an excellent defensive weapon. It's simple, easy to use and can be carried without attracting much undue attention.

Of course, as mentioned, the collapsible baton is often considered to be a restricted weapon in many places so I would readily suggest that people who desire a self-defense weapon to consider an effective alternative -- the cane! A stout wooden cane can be an extremely potent weapon for personal defense. Easily carried without drawing undue attention, the cane can be a deterrent from physical attack. If potential perpetrators notice that the cane is carried without any obvious apparent need (i.e. without limping, for example), they might think twice before attacking.

Why my dear commentor, I too sport a rather spiffy cane. My cane is made from the rarest of shabelle hardwood that is polished to a high sheen and topped off with a brass fist. For balance, I've had the end bored to 9 inches and filled with lead.

While this accoutrement compliments my posture, I do find it an extremely useful aid for walking up hills especially during foggy nights. If I do so myself, I truly cut a dash with my trusty cane.

For those of you of the inclination, I suggest that you pursue the sport of Canne De Combat, a proper gentleman's pursuit and an indubitably vigorous activity that will contribute to hail and heartiness.

The video for you discerning pleasure:

video.google.co.uk...

[edit on 20-11-2008 by masonwatcher]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Yes, indeed, the cane is certainly can be a formidable implement for one's self-defense. The cane is the obvious precursor of the baton – extendible or otherwise. Besides being an ideal defensive weapon, one that anyone can carry and use, it serves a genuine utilitarian purpose – an aid to walking. I have used the cane (or walking stick) for quite a number of years now. I first picked up using the cane while recovering from a severely broken ankle. It came in handy in negotiating the sidewalk. But, coming from Detroit, I quickly noticed the “deterrence factor” that carrying a cane provided. Walking with confidence and without an apparent physical need, the cane itself towards projecting an aura of protection. Any prospective attacker senses that the cane might be used to thwart any assault. As is the case, someone stalking “victims” on the streets typically move on to more vulnerable targets. I have continued walking with a cane – especially in urban settings or when traveling or visint unfamiliar areas – and I know that it has served me well.

I have never had to use the cane in an actual self-defense situation but I am absolutely certain that having a cane in hand has been of benefit. More than once I have been approached on the streets by individuals whom I might have described as 'shiftless'. One can, on ocassion, sense danger or the threat of danger from an individual. But with a firm grip on a stout stick, a casual manner and an obvious display of competence, these 'characters', and their accompanying sense of menace, has always moved past.

Here are some videos that I have found to be quite instructive at the most rudimentary level: defending oneself from simple assault armed only with a common, curved handled cane.

Canework Training Video #1

Canework Training Video #2

Canework Training Video #3

Canework Training Video #4

Canework Training Video #5

Canework Training Video #6

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I used to carry one of these things before I got my gun license. One night I was walking to my car in a parking lot and a group of three guys pulled up in a car and two got out. They started walking towards me, swearing and telling me they were going to 'beat my @$$'. I pulled that baton out and they actually hopped back in the car. You really don't want to use two hands. You swing it quicker with one, and the increased velocity = more ouch. They're not heavy like a bat. In my opinion hitting someone in the head with one of these things could easily be construed as excessive force. I know cops are not SUPPOSED to swing at the head. If you're interested there is a good book by Massad Ayoob on the use of batons. I can't remember the name though. Hes seemed to favor leg/ torso strikes and I would consider him an authority.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psyclon9
Ive played around with one but if youre serious look into ASP, they make high grade collapsible battons. If you train with it, slip on the wrist strap and swing in a quick strike motion going for the knees, arms and face. Though personally id rather train with a sword.

I have seen the results of a police officer whacking someone upside the head with an ASP.......serious damage......one of the best "non-lethal" personal protection devices out there.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Wow this thread finally got some traction. Thanks for the links and comments. It is legal here to carry a collaspible baton. I carry one when out walking, if for no other reason than to save myself the trouble of finding a big stick when approached by dogs. I've had the opportunity and just cause to use one against aggressive drunks/druggies, but I felt like it was just going to escalate matters. On those occasions (6 times) I called 911 and twice the police were able to respond in a timely manner. Of those two times, one offender was jailed. The other time the offender was released because I couldn't make positive ID of the guy who threatened to "cut" me because I didn't have any cigs. Societal decay sux nards.

I'll watch the vids. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'm a former Police Officer, certified with the ASP and carried it for 8 yrs. The ASP is good in a pinch for a quick defensive weapon and that is it. Someone that knows what they are doing will take the ASP away from you and beat you to death with it. The drawback on the ASP is twofold.....no side handle like a pr-24 for retention and with a little wear, the ASP will collapse on it's on. The ASP will cause very little damage unless you strike someone in the head and may crack a bone but won't make a clean break. If you want a real tool for your arsenal, get an expandable pr-24, practice with it, learn the techniques and you will have something that will break a femur bone. Both are considered weapons and will get you put in jail for aggravated assault. If you really need personal protection, get a handgun carry permit.

new topics

top topics

join