It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keith Olbermann's special comment: Prop 8

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I am not gay, nor do I know anyone who is, so in a sense, I am probably not the person that's going to be able to understand the full impact or extent of prop 8, or even anything surrounding it.. I just have an opinion. And I figured I would share this special comment with whoever would watch.

If you voted for this Proposition or support those who did or the sentiment they expressed, I have some questions, because, truly, I do not... understand. Why does this matter to you? What is it to you? In a time of impermanence and fly-by-night relationships, these people over here want the same chance at permanence and happiness that is your option. They don't want to deny yours. They don't want to take anything away from you. They want what you want -- a chance to be a little less alone in the world.

thenewshole.msnbc.msn.com (Transcript for special comment/ source for external source quotes )
www.msnbc.msn.com (Video of special comment)

/www.youtube.com (ALT In case video does not work)

His special comments have always had some kind of power to them, in his voice, the way he would say something, his body language. But this special comment.. it almost seemed as though he was going to lose it and begin to break down or even cry. Or.. maybe he's good actor, but I doubt that.

Something struck me as I watched this special comment, he was saying what I could never articulate. Something that I have been thinking, something that has always unnerved me about those people who oppose gay marriage, or who are even opposed to homosexuality as a whole. How does two adults of the same sex marrying each other affect you? How does it take away from what you have?

I'am curious as what others [you] might have to say about this, what Olbermann says, is he wrong? Is he right? Does he have a point? Does anyone who isn't gay and seeking to be married with someone of the same sex even have say in this?

[edit on 11/10/2008 by Forest]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I did not watch the the referenced commentary, but I'm glad he decided to speak out. I know that he is a good friend of Rachel Maddow, the woman whose show follows his and who also happens to be a lesbian, so I assumed he would have a significant reaction to the Prop 8 result. It is often difficult to understand how meaningful Prop 8 is to gay Americans if you can only count them as strangers.

The Christians in this country seem to have a fear that by legalizing gay marriage, our society will be put on the fast track toward not only legitimizing homosexuality but actually, in essence, "converting" Americans--particularly children, who they see as the most vulnerable. It sounds quite silly to anyone from the opposing side; to those who are a part of this anti-gay crowd, it is a very real threat. The Christian churches have taken an active role in propagating the idea that homosexuality will be taught in schools (carrying the implication that your children will be indoctrinated and potentially adopt a homosexual lifestyle). The idea here seems to be that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, one that is particularly sinful and contributes to the degradation of society, and that by integrating lessons in tolerance into our schools, we will be promoting homosexual behavior among our children, who we apparently wish to be purely heterosexual. Legalizing gay marriage is, to many, just the first step toward this result. This is my perception, anyway, operating upon the commentary in numerous online postings, news interviews, etc. that are posted by Christian gay marriage opponents. The anti-gay argument has become one based upon fear, as any truly rational inspection of the gay rights argument would vindicate it as an entirely reasonable pursuit. It is unfortunate that this intolerance and ignorance is so prevalent, but I believe people will come to their senses within my lifetime.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Aw man you beat me to it! I just posted this in Breaking Alternavive news board!

Here is my link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 10-11-2008 by Dances With Angels]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by paperplanes

Firstly, I wasn't aware Rachel Maddow was a lesbian. I think it would of had a bigger impact if she had infact gave that special comment. On his show or even hers.

I pretty much fully agree with you. I believe that they've stuck their hand so far down the "anti-gay" cookie jar, that if gay marriage was to become fully legal, constitutional or even on a state level. They would have a very large portion of disenfranchised and angry members. And i believe that would put a very large nail in the coffin of how religion has become slightly less relevant in modern times.

reply to post by Dances With Angels

Yeah, I posted here in the gray area because I am a newb at posting topics and I wasn't sure were to put it. Seems to have been moved now.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
You beat me to it, too!.
I had the link in my buffer.

What a moving and meaningful comment! I actually cried watching it last night. It hurts my heart to know that so many people, simply because of WHO they love, are not allowed, by law, to have what I have chosen - that which is so precious and important to me.

This is just wrong on so many levels...

I can only hope that we're in a time of change for rights for gay people. In the 60s, black people stood up and demanded equal rights. It was not pretty. And now, I stand with gay people to demand the same for them. To deny them the right to happiness, HOWEVER they see fit, and equal protection under the law, is immoral, unconstitutional and criminal.

Thanks for posting.

top topics

join