It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BOO-ing?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Can you BOO someone, as opposed to starring and flagging their threads?
Could I be BOO-ed for a post someone did not appreciate or agree with?
Thereby loosing points?

-

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Did you say Boo or Boo-erns?

I like the idea, though I think it would just get aboosed.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
i said boo-erns.

hahaha

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I don’t think it would be right to take away someone’s points because you disagree with them. Stars give points for those who agree or “dig” what the other person is saying. If someone makes a great, logical post with lots of evidence to support their case I’d hate to see a bunch of people who just dislike them or don’t like the topic taking their points away.

[edit on 10-11-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I think throwing tomatoes would be fun too. :splat:

However, I agree with SDog, it would get out of hand. Someone vindictive could stalk you everywhere you posted and run you into the negatives pretty easily just because you disagreed with them on some issue, like religion or politics.

[edit on 10-11-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Yep
It would get abused.
I don't think it's about who likes it or doesn't like it.
I think it's about truth, justice and a really good cat fight...er debate.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
...all your boos are belong to us...

...all your booze are belong to us...

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   

I asked a similar question earlier this year on the board. You might get the information you require there. Hope it helps...

ATS Points & Star System Overhaul

IRM

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

I asked a similar question earlier this year on the board. You might get the information you require there. Hope it helps...

ATS Points & Star System Overhaul

IRM

thanks!

yeah ... I wasn't asking for a Booing system for xmas. was hoping there wasn't one in place.
just making sure there wasn't .. just in case there was some how.
I agree..
ar, there'd be total rampant aboose.

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Did you say Boo or Boo-erns?

I like the idea, though I think it would just get aboosed.

"Smithers! are they booing me?"

-

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Just Deny Ignorance with your counter argument. That's what I thought it's all about here. I don't think you should get points taken away for trying or posting something ignorant. Members learn from other members and that's the reward for both. Just my 2 cents worth.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Personally, I don't like the 'rating' system on this board. I can understand the idea of flagging topics to be deemed important no matter where you stand on the issue itself, but I think it's abused.

I'll sometimes see similar posts in a thread, posts making practically the same comments, but more 'popular' posters often get 'starred' for the point, while the same point will go uncommented on by someone else, and often the ignored point will have appeared earlier in the thread too.

'Posting gangs' are an issue on most big message boards and it's quite obvious that this is an issue on this board too. I see so many posts that attract large amounts of stars and I often wonder why. I'm not particularly partisan when it comes to starring comments: I've starred posts of people on some threads where it's been apparent in other threads those people wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire. Unfortunately, I think I'm a rarity in this and I think starring is often an exercise in gang loyalty in some threads on here.

At the moment the way this is abused just results in some people being ignored and others looking like their posts are far more 'worthy' or 'weighty' than they actually are. However, if there was a 'booing' system, I think this would probably be abused even more than a positive rating system, especially if it meant that the poster would lose points and so on.

[edit on 12-11-2008 by Merriman Weir]

[edit on 12-11-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I agree with what you are saying. I can live with abuse of a positive system such as the flagging and starring but I think that the abuse of a negative system would really drive a lot of people away.

Look at the political threads to see how people will form gangs to attack people with opposing viewpoints. It would be pretty ugly if those gangs were given power to actually reduce their oppositions point totals.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

I agree with what you are saying. I can live with abuse of a positive system such as the flagging and starring but I think that the abuse of a negative system would really drive a lot of people away.

Look at the political threads to see how people will form gangs to attack people with opposing viewpoints. It would be pretty ugly if those gangs were given power to actually reduce their oppositions point totals.

Glad it's not just me that sees this. I see it in threads where I'm not even posting so it's not as if I commenting on anything specific to me - although I think it does happen to me too. Heh.

If a negative rating system was introduced, I can imagine some posters never, ever seeing positive points again!

Perhaps it's my inner-misanthrope speaking, but I think given the nature of the internet and the way people are generally, I think whilst some people who might not positively rate posts and threads it's more likely that they'll negatively rate something.

Also, it would mean that people with lurking accounts, who don't actually actively contribute to the site could have a large negative impact on posters, threads and individual posts. That's practically tantamount to trolling by clicking.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I will be honest. I would probably be quicker to smite a poster that gets under my skin than I am to praise the ones that I appreciate. I am not proud of it, but I just think that is what would happen.

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I doubt it.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

I will be honest. I would probably be quicker to smite a poster that gets under my skin than I am to praise the ones that I appreciate. I am not proud of it, but I just think that is what would happen.

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I doubt it.

I genuinely think this is the case with most people. I'm not going to condemn people for it though as I think it's the nature of the internet. I think the anonymity is a big factor here.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Best not to go down that road, It's not a Popularity contest, alough you wouldnt know it., Hanging round here.

Best keep democrocy, away, just because you disagree doesn't mean i do.

[edit on 12-11-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
Can you BOO someone, as opposed to starring and flagging their threads?
Could I be BOO-ed for a post someone did not appreciate or agree with?
Thereby loosing points?

-

Boooo!

Just kidding, just trying to give you what you want.

I love booing. At sporting events I like to hear the sea of boos and then place my carefully-timed "boo!"

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Since when do stars give points? I never have gotten extra points for a star or a flag. Only through responses and applause. Am I wrong MODS? If so, how can I cash in my Stars

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Ah yes, a cash rewars sytem? Most stars, and flags can be exchanged for ATS goodies?

I mean, they must get a fair amount in revenue now,

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Oh now that's a novel idea: boo-ing instead of starring. I guess this would mean the only the strongest forum posters will survive and the weaklings will cry, leave town and never return to ATS.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join