It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't UFO's produce a sonic boom?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Why don't UFO's produce a sonic boom? In many of the sightings the UFO's suddenly accelerate from a stationary position to Mach speeds without producing a sonic boom. Logic says that they should still produce a sonic boom no matter what the UFO's method of propulsion is, ie. - antigravity. The fact is that a sonic boom is formed by the compression of air. UFO's are not exempt from this phenomenon as they hold physical properties that are identical to our aircraft. Any ideas?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hi, I think the problem's solution lies on your last sentence:

Originally posted by hotrice
... they hold physical properties that are identical to our aircraft.

Perhaps that's an assumption we shouldn't make?

Peace

[edit on 30-10-2008 by Sator]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hotrice

To many assumptions need to be made. Assuming a UFO was a craft we really dont know enough about how it might be propelled, what sort of dampening or other tech it may or may not have and while we could theorise all day long we wouldnt be any closer to a conclusion because there are no facts to work with.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
obviously, their technology is superior.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
HE MAY BE TRYING TO ASK THIS: BY WHAT MEANS IS IT POSSIBLE TO TRAVEL FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND WITHIN THE EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE, WITHOUT CREATING A SONIC BOOM? FIELD GENERATOR'S? PLASMA? AERODYNAMICS?

THAT IS AN INTRIGUING POSSIBILITY INDEED....

WE NEED THE OPINIONS OF SOME ENGINEERS ON THIS ONE!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Did you know that DARPA is developing what they call "Quiet Supersonic Platform (QSP)" ? You guessed it, a supersonic aircraft that does not create a sonic boom.

If they can do that, I'm sure the aliens can do better.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a wormhole doesn't produce a sonic boom.

that probably explains the strange shapes of the real ones.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Thanks. I had no idea about the DARPA project.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Who says UFO's are not exempt from these laws? As they obviously are exempt.

This could be due to a magnetic field around the craft which may somehow prevent a sonic boom.

I've seen a a bit of speculations on UFO propulsion, some say they "PULL" themselves forwards creating a warp in space.

I've also read that the craft could create a magnetic field around itself, then using some kind of engine that utelises the earths magnetic field to travel. Similar to putting N & N poles together on a regular magnet repelling each other.

Until we have a difinitave answer everything is speculation.

C-BuZz

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Quoting from Puthoff's review of Paul R. Hill's book:

"One of the consequences of the above identification of field propulsion type by Hill is his conclusion, supported by detailed calculation, computer simulation and wind-tunnel studies, that supersonic flight through the atmosphere without sonic booms is easily engineered. Manipulation of the acceleration-type force field would, even at supersonic speeds, result in a constant-pressure, compression-free zone without shockwave in which the vehicle is surrounded by a subsonic flow-pattern of streamlines, and subsonic velocity ratios. An additional benefit of such field control is that drops of moisture, rain, dust, insects, or other low-velocity objects would follow streamline paths around the craft rather than impact it. "

More: UFO Physics

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by obsolete
Did you know that DARPA is developing what they call "Quiet Supersonic Platform (QSP)" ? You guessed it, a supersonic aircraft that does not create a sonic boom.

If they can do that, I'm sure the aliens can do better.

Sorry for nitpicking your otherwise great post but the QSP program still produces a sonic boom, it just sends the shockwave up instead of the natural omnidirectional wave that is heard easily on the ground.

Also, the theorized nature of UFO's would indicate an ability to manipulate gravity.
dhatz already linked to this but it bears mentioning again...

The antigravity field forward of the craft would push aside air in the atmosphere and prevent it from piling up on the leading surfaces of the craft. The shock wave causing the sonic boom would never form.
source: Paul R. Hill, PHD; Langley Research Center

[edit on 10-30-2008 by intelgurl]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
if you take a look at dan aykroyds unplugged on ufos video, you see that there is a segment which discusses the fact that these ships are made of light... a great example is dorothy izatt who is sorely forgotten in this forum.

there is a clip in dan aykroyds film which shows the ufo go from light to matter..

being lighter than air, you would have to be light and this could be one solution.

but im sure your wondering how a metal object could move so fast without the boom.

the ion distribution mentioned in an above post discusses two negative poles of a magnet which create an independed atmosphere around the ship. but of course these questions of how they travel..are so far out..the only real lead we have on such subjects are those who claim to have been abducted..jim sparks, alex collier. dorothy izatt. james gilliand etc. and before you believe them,, you have to believe what your seeing in the sky as an actual ufo of ET origin.
*sigh*

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by intelgurl

My fault, thank you for the clarification.

The thought process was that if DARPA could engineer such, then a more intelligent species (whom probably view us as amoeba, comparably) could engineer something quite better.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordThumbs
if you take a look at dan aykroyds unplugged on ufos video, you see that there is a segment which discusses the fact that these ships are made of light... a great example is dorothy izatt who is sorely forgotten in this forum.

there is a clip in dan aykroyds film which shows the ufo go from light to matter..

being lighter than air, you would have to be light and this could be one solution.

but im sure your wondering how a metal object could move so fast without the boom.

the ion distribution mentioned in an above post discusses two negative poles of a magnet which create an independed atmosphere around the ship. but of course these questions of how they travel..are so far out..the only real lead we have on such subjects are those who claim to have been abducted..jim sparks, alex collier. dorothy izatt. james gilliand etc. and before you believe them,, you have to believe what your seeing in the sky as an actual ufo of ET origin.
*sigh*

I see the light theory (first time that I have heard of it) as the most plausible explanation simply because of the famous triangle UFO sighting in Belgium where the witness testified of a triangular UFO morphing into a ball of light. Even if the UFO had an anti-gravity device it would still create a sonic boom as it would not alter the wind resistance of the craft. Of course, the technology "they" have probably somehow could eliminate a sonic boom. The light theory coincides with my sighting of a ball of light that got me interested in UFO's. Now I believe even more so that I saw a UFO.

If you care, I saw a giant (stadium size or bigger) ball of light while flying over Siberia at night. The plane was at 33,000 feet and the ball was at probably 20,000 feet. If ony I had a digital camera back then...

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
maybe because they don't use the wind to glide like we do, and don't have rockets strapped under their seats to move them forward.

no gravity = no limits when it comes to flying.

at least that's how i see it.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
This question never gets enough play on UFO shows or news reports. It's an even bigger clue than radar targets...I've always wondered why more people don't confront a skeptic like Shermer about this. Of course he is a psychologist and not an aeronautical engineer, but that never seems to stop him.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
There was some good information among the Disclosure Project witnesses on the technology being used, or at least the technology that its suggested we were using which was reverse engineered.

Some form of hypersonic technology, Zero Point systems.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
My theory is they generate an anti-gravity bubble if you will around the craft...enabling it to travel through the atmosphere with no friction. Then in doing so you would not be subject to the same laws of physics as applied to a conventional aircraft. You would also be making the craft lighter as well.

Oh and happy Halloween.

[edit on 10/31/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotrice
Even if the UFO had an anti-gravity device it would still create a sonic boom as it would not alter the wind resistance of the craft.

The sonic-boom issue can be explained if one accepts a (hypothetical, or at least not known to us yet) gravity-like force field ("anti-gravity" if you like), such as the one suggested by Paul R Hill. For more, refer to the link in my previous post.

I understand that people at ATS try to be helpful by offering bits and pieces of info, e.g. the "light-ship", but the fact is that most "UFO theories" come from people with no technical training whatsoever. And unless one can separate wheat and chuff, it's simply confusing...

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
As a general thought, I know the Navy has produced torpedos that propel underwater at "impossible" speeds.

The secret lies in releasing a controlled air stream in front of the torpedo which creates an air bubble around the torpedo that removes the water friction which slows down the torpedo. Now the torpedo onlyhas air friction to contend with. Air has less friction than water does thus allowing the torpedo to go faster.

Perhaps the UFO's are doing the same type of thing. Instead of air injected in front of the direction of travel, maybe here is something else that repels the air causing a vacuum which has no friction or sonic-boom associated with it.

The Navy thing was reported in Popular Science about 6 months ago. The UFO thing is my speculation. I don't know what is placed, if anything, in front of the UFO's travel direction that makes the air move away. A magnetic field is a good idea, but somehow I don't think that is what the UFO's use. They probably have some thing that we (general public) don't yet know about.

-EyesII

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join