It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQ's of 70-100 think?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I can debate with the best of you. But my views almost always conflict with the majority of you.

I must be a dummy. Based on the above, my IQ must be 80 or lower.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Chimps know what is going on. So do you. Unfortunately chimps can't use pen and paper. IQ spread, we all know what is going on or we have been blinded. I come from the 60+ IQ category and am pleased to inform you on a categorical Intelligence Quota level, that everything is going smooth.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
IQ is just a number.
Its mostly irrelevant.
There is so many variables to IQ testing to say its done properly makes the person who says its done properly, look like they have an extremelly low iq.
There is even training and practice tests for IQ tests.
Its mostly rubbish really.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
They think?

Really?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

Originally posted by redled
Chimps know what is going on. So do you. Unfortunately chimps can't use pen and paper. IQ spread, we all know what is going on or we have been blinded. I come from the 60+ IQ category and am pleased to inform you on a categorical Intelligence Quota level, that everything is going smooth.

Good for you! Who told you that you were 60+? You write more intelligently than 60% here!

reply to post by Grumble

Originally posted by Grumble
They think?

Really?

Yeah we do. We think, we choose, we live every day for what is best in it.

Why do you think we are not capable of that?

That was a really unkind statement from you.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I don't think he ment his IQ was in the 60s I think he ment that humans are in the 60% plus catagory. Could be wrong though.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
80 is fine JS Obecky

Its been many years since i worked in the field of this type of work, its late and ive had a scotch as soo cold in the UK!

however I believe that 73-74 was the classification for "Learning Difficulties" on the standard IQ test for medical reasons, that and below was considered as a diagnosis.

I think 100 is average or around 95 in the UK, well used to be 90 -95 might be different now.

However I worked with clients like this, and also one of my collegues was super smart, up in the high 130's(or more) if I remember correctly, he could do trig and square roots in his head,

"Whats the sine of (insert q here) ? hisname"

You would see him go glassy of eyes for a second or two look up to his mental screen and give you the right answer.

Used to astound me. He was working part time in the field as had an family member with very similar difficulties, whilst doing his last year of Degree b4 Ph.d etc.

Anyhow he was Intellectually really really smart, not just math and reasoning, but some of the clients we worked with, those who were not challenging or dangerous we would sometimes go out to public events etc with them, and most of them were much more Tuned into people or had a much better emotional intelligence, and social skills than he did.

He would be looking at the relationship of the integers of frothiness on the membrane of the pint we were drinking, whilst the client would be using his difficulty to get hug’s from sexy women, and attention from all around him.

Emotional intelligence is probably more important in getting by in life and being successful, being liked, healthy of body and Mind and happy than any massive intellectual Quotient.

Having said that I am not up there with Byrd or some others on ATS etc but on both IQ and EQ I rate at over 110 :-), strange my literary skills are so poor, though I think I have slight Asperger's and have kept it hidden for many years!, however we are all on the scale somewhere.

Some people are very clever but stupid as mud eh?

Elf.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by MischeviousElf] for spelling and factual layout lol doh!

[edit on 29-10-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Yeah we do. We think, we choose, we live every day for what is best in it.

I wish I was like that. I hate thinking of things more than 1 time, sometimes to many times.

Someone with a high IQ makes things really hard on themselves and thinks way to much. I would like 1 day to do exactly what you stated.

I compare my brain to a super highway, and a normal persons brain to a 2 lane road.

Alot of good can come from people who are smart, unfortunately it comes at a high price, what you mentioned is 1 of those. The lack of friends is another.

+5 more 
link   
IQ 80-120

"I think therefore I am"

IQ 120-160

"I think too g-d damned much sometimes"

IQ 160 +

"I think no one understands me therefore I must take over the world"

link   
I'm making no derogatory comments on welders in general, but I have met some of the sharpest mechanical people who can't hold a 2 syllable conversation unless cuss word are thrown in.

Language skills alone are not enough for a high IQ, but it is an indicator.

How many people have you met that are extraordinary functional within their jobs but just don't have the common sense God gave a bug or can not function outside their comfort zone? I'm not writing about computer hermit type people that are just anti-social by nature.

You see this type of behavior in many crafts and trades. I consider them function idiots or just lifetime apprentices.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I believe there are two kinds of smart people
1.People who memorize from books and get awesome grades and whatever
2. People with outstanding reasoning and common sense.

But I have notice, you cannot consume both of them. You can only have one. But, isn't that a good thing? Because then they co-exist with each other. The person with number 2 thinking helps the number one type of person and lead to new discovers and so on. If that even make sense to anyone

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Rentor]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf

However I worked with clients like this, and also one of my collegues was super smart, up in the high 120's if I remember correctly, he could do trig and square roots in his head,

I would be a little surprised at that, I'm not sure that would be related to IQ. My IQ is in the upper 140s, I'm a member of Mensa, and I can't do that kind of thing in my head.

I work as a computer programmer, and most of my friends are in the same, or similar fields, so almost everyone I know has an IQ over 120, everyone in in my family does too, and none of them has that kind of talent.

I often wonder about people with IQs of say 80, what they are like, as I never get to meet anyone like that, apart from I guess I must see them at times on sites like this one.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of 'IQ' tests as a measure of the man. I think they would be better labelled as 'Ability to complete logic puzzles' tests, or such. I just am grateful to have a high IQ as it is a good thing to put on a resume. Even though I don't think it's a very good indicator, many employers do, so I take advantage of it.

One of my school teachers said to me once, something along these lines:

"You may score high on the IQ test, but on the common sense test, you fail miserably."

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by gullychief

I taught computer courses to Fortune 500 companies for many years. They paid $500 - $1000 per day for what I taught them. One of my mentors screwed up so badly that I walked away from him in disgust. He followed me down the hall saying "But I'm a member of MENSA!!".

I just turned to him and smiled. He opted out of future eval's.

But I make no bones about my intelligence. I'm just an average guy.

You're a member of MENSA. Want to go one-on-one? Any time.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
With people that have an IQ that low....My first reaction is they think something like this: Duuuuuuuuuh, what was the question? BRONDO....its what plants crave!

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf

However I worked with clients like this, and also one of my collegues was super smart, up in the high 120's if I remember correctly, he could do trig and square roots in his head,

I edited it after posted gully chief, it was nearly two decades ago, and as said some scotch before my post :-)

I type and talk too fast sometimes, The IQ was wrong however he used to be able to do that, was amazing.

I also refrained from putting my actual IQ up as the nature of the OP's opening post, prefering to give a broad above + , and also having worked in this field many years ago, like others have stated it means nothing in real life.

My God whats GW's IQ? hes the most powerful man in the world, though by nepatism alone.

Mrs palin I think would struggle to get to 120 but she is very emotionally intelligent, and successful.

He was also brilliant at mechanics and constantly doing crosswords in seconds flat, very very smart guy, but the actual score is irrelavent, he like you was MENSA level, maybe more soo than yourself, due to your description of your family and self and mental mathematical abilities but socially, well left a lot to be desired.

He wasn't a savante though, just his astounding intelligence was very noticable, so maybe that put his normal social skills in strong contrast.

A good balance is nice I think to have.

Kind regards,

Elf

[edit on 29-10-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Yeah, I had a teacher who was a member of MENSA. He had the tie pin n' all. And some retard came his way, and he could reason, but not quickly enough without distraction in the fraction and the teacher threw all of his books into the stinging nestles as a lesson.

MENSA just does not make you a better person.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I think my last IQ test was 131, I’ve taken a few, most the people I know score between 100 and 140. They are all different but none of them seem drastically different intelligent wise or when it comes to common sense.

Sometimes I’m bright and sometimes I’m a complete moron. We are all smart and dumb in our own ways, I don’t think doing well on an IQ test or having a good IQ means anything other than that you are good at IQ test.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

Originally posted by redled

Yeah, I had a teacher who was a member of MENSA. He had the tie pin n' all. And some retard came his way, and he could reason, but not quickly enough without distraction in the fraction and the teacher threw all of his books into the stinging nestles as a lesson.

MENSA just does not make you a better person.

Wow. I wonder how the poor student felt.

But I object to you calling the student a retard.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I can debate with the best of you. But my views almost always conflict with the majority of you.

I must be a dummy. Based on the above, my IQ must be 80 or lower.

Having an IQ of around 200 I also see my views conflict with the majority here

So I think it's all relative to the respective bracket.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This is already beginning to sound like an appendage-measuring contest

Not that I'd wish this to be regarded as a one-line post

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join