It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HP Lovecraft Fan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I am a big HP Lovecraft fan and was wondering how many other people here on BTS were fans of his as well. Two of his stories that are favorites of mine are "The Dunwich Horror" and "The Outsiders".

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I read a few of his books when I was younger... and certainly would like to read more now. He is the Grandfather of modern horror. Stephen King, Richard Matheson, Dean Koontz, and Clive Barker all hail him as a huge influence.

I really liked The Case of Charles Dexter Ward...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
That is also an excellent story. One among many. And yes, you are right when you say that modern horror writers owe a lot to the the greatesr horror writer of the first 50 years of the last century.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'm a big fan of HPL. A few of my favorites are At the Mountains of Madness as well Dreamquest of unknown Kaddath. The former is being made into a movie by the director who did Pan's Labyrinth so hopefully it will be as well done as that film was.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Man, where do I even start!?!?!? Check out my name.....

Dunwich horror a classic. I just read "the whisperer in darkness" over halloween. Not a favorite, but definitely something enjoyable. Besides, I've read some of the others so much I've practically memorized them!

Right now, I've just started the one.... oooh, can't think of the name of it.... Robert Blake is investigating the Starry Wisdom Church in Boston, and there's something in the belfry..... help me out here......

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Haunter in the Dark. that's it.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm a huge HPL fan...read all of his stuff, numerous times. The man was nuts...but a genious...

If you got the dough, pick up the boardgame of Arkham Horror, has a really good HPL feel for a boardgame, and is fun to play with like-minded friends...

If you're a D&D gamer, there's a couple of old modules based on the Dunwich Horror (even same name)...before TSR got sued for copyright, hehe....

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I absolutely LOVE HPL. I a huge fan of pretty much everything he's written. My favorite thing to do is get out one of the anthologies I have and read it while I'm sitting alone in my room at night.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I've always wanted to get into HPL since so many of the novels and games I like cite him as an influence. I got a book of some of his short stories for Christmas (yay little brother!) so we'll see how he is :p Dunno when I'll get around to it, since I've got so much to read...

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Wally Conley

Great and prolific writer. Spawned many a rip-off. Thing on the Doorstep was my introduction in college many moons back. Since then I try to read something by HP once a year...

ColoradoJens

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: Excellent Post by the OP. Starred and Flagged!

Personal Disclosure: VOTE 1 CTHULHU!
...........................why settle for a lesser evil?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I read most of his stuff last year and it is amazing. I love the whole cosmic horror genre but too bad his stories weren't longer. A shame that he wouldn't live long enough to see his popularity boom. The themes he uses are great but sadly aren't used that much anymore in horror, or at least I don't think they are. Whisperer in the Darkness, At the Mountains of Madness, The Statement of Randolph Carter, The Nameless City, The Dunwitch Horror and The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Frankly all of his work is great but those are my favorites.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
That is not dead....... Which can eternal lie...... Yet with strange aeon...... Even death may die

Just love H P Lovecraft

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This reminded me I have a book of his I need to read somewhere in my pile of a library.

I've heard of him certainly, basically as the man behind all the modern horror stuff I love. The really creepy stuff. Monsters that are smarter than you type stuff.

Did see a movie I think was based on his works, called "Dagon" -- WEIRD, and memorable.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Yep, Dagon is one of his short stories....guy in a boat finds himself in a sargasso and then explores, only to find a monolith, and then Dagon, a fishlike god....

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I'm a novice HPL fan. so far I have read:

This one...

and

This one...

Loved them both (I practically ate them!)

Any other good ones I should know about?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Ahh Lovecraft.... I've been reading his works for years. I highly recommend the lurking fear, Pickman's model, and the shadow over Innsmouth. Sci-fi ran a movie called Dagon that was based on that story. I hate to correct a mod, but the story you are refering to is Call of Cthulhu

[edit on 8-7-2009 by hangedman13]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Lookie what I found:

www.scribd.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
h p lovecraft is awesome. i love his stories they really inspire my imagination.
some of my favorites are:

lurker at the threshold

at the mountains of madness

call of cathulu

case of charles dexter ward

and many others.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus
Dreamquest of unknown Kaddath...is being made into a movie by the director who did Pan's Labyrinth so hopefully it will be as well done as that film was.

Great news! I am now eagerly awaiting this movie. thanks for the heads up!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join