It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa's new moon rover...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Nasa's new manned moon rover.

www.foxnews.com...

This thing reminds me of the movie armageddon rover only its missing the drill. This raises some questions. How the heck are they going to get this thing to the moon??? Furthermore, the windows in this thing looks like plexi glass with no sun shield at all. I also noticed that the space suits are mounted outside the rover. How do you put on a suit that are mounted outside??
I thought well maybe they slip into them from behind inside the cabin, but then that don't make sense either! I always thought the top half of the suit and bottoms connect with a pressure ring.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

haha it looks like a modified 70's VW Bus. haha Just missing the peace signs.

Looks cool though. Id take it if i were on the moon. And yeah it is odd that they have the suits on the back. They dont need them inside the cruiser so i guess they will store them outside, or is just for the prototype they use while testing.

Who knows.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I some how think that this moon rover may be put on hold for obvious reasons, unless NASA sells off its used space shuttles, where is the money coming from?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sean
Nasa's new manned moon rover.

I also noticed that the space suits are mounted outside the rover. How do you put on a suit that are mounted outside??
I thought well maybe they slip into them from behind inside the cabin, but then that don't make sense either! I always thought the top half of the suit and bottoms connect with a pressure ring.

Rather than taking up room with a full-size airlock, a "plainclothes" astronaut simply slides into an empty suit, pulls a lever to close the hatch and detach, and walks away.

An advantage of the SPR system is the crew lock concept, providing a rapid Extravehicular Activity (EVA) ingress/egress. The crew lock will allow the crew to enter and exit the EVA suit while never having to bring the suit inside, keeping the internal space mostly free of dust and reducing wear and tear on the suits. The crew lock will also minimize the loss of consumables when it is depressurized for EVA, extending duration of an SPR sortie.

Here you can download facts sheets with lots of more info about the new moon rover:
www.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60

Rather than taking up room with a full-size airlock, a "plainclothes" astronaut simply slides into an empty suit, pulls a lever to close the hatch and detach, and walks away.

Then, when you're done with your stroll, there's none of that nasty moondust to make a mess of the rover and lander. What a very tidy solution.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
If this primitive vehicle were all I had, I do believe I would be staying firmly on earth. This is almost 2009, this is the best we can do? I don't know, it seems really primitive.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I agree, we need something highly advanced and modern;

[edit on 26-10-2008 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I found another picture of it!

I think this is the finished model. HAHA

jra

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sean
Furthermore, the windows in this thing looks like plexi glass with no sun shield at all.

It's a prototype, not the finished product. A lot of what you see will change by the time it's done in 2019. Obviously the material of the windows will change. Even the design of the cabin could change completely by then.

I also noticed that the space suits are mounted outside the rover. How do you put on a suit that are mounted outside??

You are correct, they get in from within the cabin. Just slip in, close the airlock behind you and you're ready to go. It saves space inside the cabin and prevents lunar dust from getting in like ziggy and Phage already mentioned.

As for getting it there. I assume it will be done in a similar method to the Apollo missions were the Lunar Rover was folded up and stored in the decent module with some assembly required once on the surface.

I rather like the vehicle. I really like that it's modular in design and how it can be configured in different ways (with or without the pressurized modual) and also how manouverable it is. I think it should be neat to see this thing cruising around on the Moon.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I think the makers of 'Armageddon might have a copyright infringement lawsuit to look forward too.. :-D

it is crazy how much they do look alike... lol

top topics

join