It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baffin boots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
AGENT_T here is a boot review I said I would do with a picture of said boot in new condition. They don't look like that now.

First off. Temperature rating. Stated that they can go down to -40'F. Yes they can, and at -20'f, in just thin light socks, my feet were toasty. Second thing, they are very comfortable to walk a good distance in or use on a snow shoe. Bonus point is if you feet get all hot and sweaty after a hard day, just pull out the inner boot and dry it off. Excellent idea and vital in cold weather climates. Nothing will cause foot rot quicker than a wet cold boot.

Traction on snow is no problem. The sole is deeply cut with an excellent tread pattern. Mid foot support is carbon fibre, so your going to break before it does. The mid high cut is an absolute winner in my book. Thrown on a pair of gaiters over it and you have the best of both worlds. A flexible practicle boot and enough coverage for deep snow drifts or when building a snow hole.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Yes that is a metallic weave material the inner boot is made of. Its very light and comfortable, and prevents any rubbing in the boot when worn for long periods as its a real snug fit. The boot is all leather/rubber construction and has build quality second to none. Expensive, but worth it.

I recommended these to a few members here ages and ages ago, and am suprised no ones done a review already. However, better late than never.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Ahh OK..
I had pictured the 'welly style' Baffins and wondered how practical they were moving around on tricky ground.

Yeah these ones look more like the biz.

Someone had mentioned getting a couple of pairs so that you could rotate and have one pair airing out while the other was in use,getting a huge amount of extra life out of them.

How 'stinky' do they get?Are they treated with any anti-fungal/bacterial coating?

Are those soles really that thick? I haven't seen lifts like that since I last saw Dog the Bounty hunter in his high heels

EDIT to add pic of my 'imagined boots'

[edit on 22-10-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Stinky?
Take them off and air them over a fire to dry and they are good to go. At ultra low temperatures, a stinky foot is not going to happen unless your moving ultra rapidly-if thats the case then, a stinky foot is the least of your worries. having two pairs is what I do. One pair for night time (take the inner boot out and use them as sleep socks if its cold) and one for day time. However, rotating them would be a good idea.

Are the soles thick? like marmite wedges made by my welsh granny. yes dude they are real thick for standing and working at low temps. Again, a benefit, not a hinderance and doesn't stop mobility at all.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by D4rk Kn1ght

Mucho appreciation.
Always nice to have a user review of an item/items rather than the advertising yakkity.

Got stuck in store listening to a Helly-Hansen presentation yesterday..Then the item I wanted was out of stock.
Hate salesmen

Apparently Smelly-Helly will be smelly no more though.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
One of the Dr's has an old non-breathable jacket for just pottering about in, and always used to wear an old wolly pully under it. I took it and burnt that cursed thing because after all that use under a non-breather, even after a wash it smelt worse than a three year old un-sheared sheep.

However, his non-breather was patched up with duct tape time and time again and remained water proof.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I have worn Baffin's and Sorell's when working on the oil rigs in -65c, they are excellent and very duralble, I always had replacemant inserts just to be safe.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
For sure have extra booties. Even if for just wearing into bed in winter...
A sleeping bag might go down to minus 10, but feet don't like it at all.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by D4rk Kn1ght

Yeachhhh.. Takes me back to sorting out windsurfing wetsuits/buoyancy aids for customer hire.
Some of those I didn't want to even touch,never mind have to slide into.

When it comes down to evasion,best not to leave a trail of dead and suffocating wildlife behind you.
Even if,on the plus-side,it does make the bloodhounds puke.

EDIT.

Are they the 'OUTBACK' style? £110 ish
Whats the width fitting like? wide /narrow

I made a stoopid mistake buying a expensive pair last year when I was forced inactive.
As soon as I started seriously again my feet went half a size longer and an extra size wider,So made them useless.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

When we took stuff up the mountains we had a families 'semi tame, semi feral' Dri to haul stuff. Jesus God Almighty that stank to absolute total complete high Heaven. Worse was it slept right up against us at night.

Tasted beautiful though.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Are they the 'OUTBACK' style? £110 ish
Whats the width fitting like? wide /narrow

Yes they are. Width fitting wise, they are fantastic. I have wide feet and also deep arches, and they slid on like gloves straight from the box. The booty inside adapts and molds to the foot, making for a very comfortable boot. Do however stay true to your shoe size. If you wear a 10 in a city shoe, buy size 10 baffins.
All in all, if you have a need for a wide fitting true to size boot for major minus temperatures, buy baffin.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
www.WinterFootwear.com
I used them alot. Always deliver, always good to go. If however you can find a UK stockist, you may pay a bit more but dodge import tax.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Ahh OK..
I had pictured the 'welly style' Baffins and wondered how practical they were moving around on tricky ground.

EDIT to add pic of my 'imagined boots'

change your image to this one.

They are bit heavy and are not very elastic, but sturdy, waterproof and warm. trust me those baffin's look more mobile and we did combat training with those above. not luxury, but you get around good. I prefer high boots, when moving on snow. keeps your feet from getting snow. Plus you can ski with those boots, if you got right bindins in your skis. faster and more efficient. Designed to keep soldier operation atleast on -40 C⁰. Design has not changed much from 1940's. Just keep your liners dry and you will be okay. if you go out whit wet liner, it is quaranteed frozing. get atleast two paris of liners, but 3-4 pairs would probably be optimum. Just if I had some spare money to get ones of those. They are sold in civilian market undername Rokka, made in finland by finnish rubberfactory. around 100-150 € here

Details:www.mil.fi...

new topics

top topics

join