It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What turns the police from friend to enemy?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sayzaar
What turns the police from friend to enemy?

Two quarts of vodka, a night out with your 'buds' that ends with a greasy pizza and a sit down in the back of one of their neat cars where you . . . .

Guaranteed to turn the most friendly law enforcement official into 'enemy' material in very very short order.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kwapp
Not true. 99% of the laws we enforce today are more than 175 years old. Speeding laws are actually pretty old themselves, more than 100 years old.

Oh cool, we are just going to make up statistics now. Lets see what else you can make up. Typical retarded cop BS.

The next time you have to scrape what's left of a family of 4 off of the road because some dumbass decided to speed or drive drunk, go to their grandmother and tell her the bad news as she cries in your arms, then come back and tell me that these crimes don't have victims.

Hello - victimless crimes. And of course, you completely ignore what I posted, and then post something that has victims.

I would like to see some statistical proof or reference to back this up - I have a feeling you are pulling this from your magic hat.

It's called a history book. You can pick up the proof at your local library.

Yeah, that must be it. When all those calls come out on the radio I just ignore them, hell I tell my supervisor to F**k off.

The US has the biggest prison system in the world(so much for free country), and the majority of them are in there for victimless crimes.

Yeah, like that drunk driver who ran over and killed a 7 year old girl whom I had to arrest. Never hurt anyone! Just a bad habit! Try to tell that to her parents. I told them something. But that wasn't what I told them.

Once again you ignore the issue and look for justification. In fact, that is all you have done in your entire post.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SweetRevenge

You should also think about joining the Military(especially the Marines) or at least the Gaurd. It will give you an edge over the other applicants that only have a CJ degree. Its a lot harder than you might think to join certain police departments.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
Oh cool, we are just going to make up statistics now. Lets see what else you can make up. Typical retarded cop BS.

Typical retarded punk BS.....

May 21, 1901
First speed limit law is enacted
Connecticut became the first state to enact a speeding-driver law. The State General Assembly passed a bill submitted by Representative Robert Woodruff that stipulated the speed of all motor vehicles should not exceed 12mph on country highways and eight mph within city limits. Source for made up statistic

I'll be darned....a 107 yr. old speed limit law. Do you need any more insight how cops go from friends to enemies? Or do you just need to look in the mirror?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

I am going to assume that badmedia was taking issue with the statement that 99% of the laws that are enforced these days are 175 years old. I certainly take issue with that statistic and would like to see some backup on that one.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny

Typical retarded punk BS.....

May 21, 1901
First speed limit law is enacted
Connecticut became the first state to enact a speeding-driver law. The State General Assembly passed a bill submitted by Representative Robert Woodruff that stipulated the speed of all motor vehicles should not exceed 12mph on country highways and eight mph within city limits. Source for made up statistic

I'll be darned....a 107 yr. old speed limit law. Do you need any more insight how cops go from friends to enemies? Or do you just need to look in the mirror?

Oh, so a speed limit law is 99% of the laws that have been here for 175+ years?

Tell me, what year were drugs made illegal? What year did we start spending the bulk of our resources fighting the failed "war on drugs"? What year did we start enforcing dress code laws, such as you can't wear saggy jeans? What year did we start enforcing "illegal assembly" laws where you can't have more than 4 teens hanging out in a single area?

And oh, big surprise. Because I speak up against the stupid social crimes, I must be guilty huh? "Look in the mirror" you say? Oh what do I see? Oh look, it's someone who grew up with all his uncles being cops, and 1 of his uncles is the chief of police today. Lets see, what crimes am I guilty of? Oh whats that? None. Well darn. I wonder what scapegoat you will use next.

Tell me, how does it feel having to make arguments by taking 1 small thing and pasting it as fact over an entire issue? How does it feel to be stuck in such a dualistic world, that if a person brings issue up with SOME of the laws that have been passed, they are automatically against everything?

I love the assumption that I must hate all cops, and that I must be guilty if so. Please, bring me more of your ignorance so I can slap it down too.

And you know whats funny? You know who taught me what I posted? My uncle who is a police chief. You know what he complains about? Having to waste his time on stupid things that shouldn't be illegal in the first place.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by badmedia]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Might be so....but the comment "typical retarded cop BS"....seems unjustified. Because if he says that....then says this;

Oh look, it's someone who grew up with all his uncles being cops, and 1 of his uncles is the chief of police today.

Then maybe you have to wonder if retardation runs in the family. Hey...it's just a guess.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

I suspect that badmedia is young and sees the full efect of life as it is today and fears the amount of freedoms we will all just let slip away through all the new laws being inacted.

And on the other hand I suspect that you are a bit more mature (the many posts that I have read of yours) and I find your insults toward any debater on this thread beneath you.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny
reply to post by Witness2008

Might be so....but the comment "typical retarded cop BS"....seems unjustified. Because if he says that....then says this;

Oh look, it's someone who grew up with all his uncles being cops, and 1 of his uncles is the chief of police today.

Then maybe you have to wonder if retardation runs in the family. Hey...it's just a guess.

I said retarded cop BS, not just cop BS. Retarded cop BS is when a cop thinks that everything a cop does is justified. And then tries to back things up by taking a high horse and pushing out things totally unrelated. For example, I mention victimless crimes, and he responds with a single example of a crime with a victim to avoid the issue, which is obviously a legit crime. That is what I call retarded cop BS.

When you have cops enforcing things like illegal assemblies - it makes the cop look like an ahole. And that is what I am talking about. Those people were doing nothing wrong, other than just hanging out. So when the cop comes up to a bunch of people who are doing nothing wrong, and starts enforcing that law, it creates hatred towards the police. When a cop is enforcing "free speech zones", and is arresting someone for speaking outside a free speech zone, it creates hatred. Those are social crimes.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is a simple question to answer. It's the power. You have an extraordinary amount of latitude and authority, weapons, transportation, a central information source, carte blanche to lie while the public is compelled to tell the truth and an endless supply of backup representing, essentially, the same agency you do.

These are factors that make it irresistible to a certain segment of the population.

Sieg heil.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
As with any profession, you have bad apples. Just look at our friendly politicians. However, regarding a policeman as a friend or foe, you reap what you sow. If you treat them with the respect that they deserve, ie. practice the golden rule, they will certainly return the respect.

They certainly have a difficult job in a society that is increasingly anti authority. Disrespect for each other is rampant in our schools and households across America and it is certainly rampant on the streets. If you are caught speeding, suck it up and take responsibility for your own action without BLAMING OTHERS. If I follow the rationale I see on these posts, I will blame a racist republican the next time I am caught speeding. How dare anyone pull me over for running a stop sign next to an elementary school.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
reply to post by MrPenny

I suspect that badmedia is young and sees the full efect of life as it is today and fears the amount of freedoms we will all just let slip away through all the new laws being inacted.

And on the other hand I suspect that you are a bit more mature (the many posts that I have read of yours) and I find your insults toward any debater on this thread beneath you.

You are mostly right, except I'm not that young. And I don't consider things to be an insult when they are true. But that is another discussion in itself really. If someone calls me a smart ass, I don't think that is an insult. I am a smart ass, probably to it being a fault.

I think it is retarded bs when I mention victimless crimes, and then the person paints a crime with a victim as being the entire issue when in fact that wasn't even close to what I was talking about. The guy totally went on some rant that was completely unrelated. I thought retarded summed it up pretty well.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kwapp

99% of the laws we enforce today are more than 175 years old.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by Kwapp]

Which is exactly the problem I have with a lot of them....there aren't even people living today who voted for these laws! Every Session of Congress should have to reexamine all the laws on the books to determine if they are even necessary before getting started making new ones!

How can there be "justice" when the people have no input into the law making process? Oh, sure, call your senator and representative and see how helpful they are! You'll get a form response, if one at all, repeating the party line on whatever the issue is.

Any law I disagree with, I am going to civilly disobey, and try my best not to get caught. (For example, the draconian MJ laws in this country--total BS, based on racism and not a scintilla of scientific evidence before their passage! Plus, I wasn't alive to vote the congressperson out of office who voted for the idiotic law in the first place! Why should we have to live by laws written by dead people, when the world is a constantly changing place?)

/rant

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
A lot of it depends on the situation and your actions. If you watch this video, it will show you how easily cops can change their actions. It is a great video by the way.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

The majority of police live in the same fun house of smoke and mirrors the rest of us also have to navigate. I have spoken to numerous members of law enforcement and many of them see the problems and would love to object to the duties they are assigned to but most can not...they support families and have greater struggles than most of us.

With that said I do take issue with the lack of accountability when abuse occurs, then sending signals to all others that it is O.K to take there fears and frustrations out on the trusting public.

Unfortunatley law enforcement personnel lack training then combine that with the militarization of many large departments. We citizens are at the bottom of the trickle down affect of an ever growing police state.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

The majority of police live in the same fun house of smoke and mirrors the rest of us also have to navigate. I have spoken to numerous members of law enforcement and many of them see the problems and would love to object to the duties they are assigned to but most can not...they support families and have greater struggles than most of us.

With that said I do take issue with the lack of accountability when abuse occurs, then sending signals to all others that it is O.K to take there fears and frustrations out on the trusting public.

Unfortunatley law enforcement personnel lack training then combine that with the militarization of many large departments. We citizens are at the bottom of the trickle down affect of an ever growing police state.

I agree, I don't hate or blame cops at all. As I said before, my uncle complains about it all the time. I blame the stupid laws that are passed, which is what I was talking about in my original post. I was a bit surprised that he took such an issue with it, and a bit irritated that he completely misrepresented my post in his response.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
So when the cop comes up to a bunch of people who are doing nothing wrong, and starts enforcing that law, it creates hatred towards the police. When a cop is enforcing "free speech zones", and is arresting someone for speaking outside a free speech zone, it creates hatred.

Isn't there two sides to this argument? What does speaking "outside" the free speech zone create? Can you see how that "creates" something?

The cop didn't create the law in this instance. He/She is doing their job and the job says, arrest person "A" if they do this. Doesn't it seem apparent that the person getting arrested had the power and the choice to not put the cop in that position?

You're vilifying a person for doing their job; enforcing laws that they did not create. And in the above example, arresting someone who's choice to disobey a "free speech zone", forced a cop to perform their job.

I agree, the concept that I can stand "here" and speak, but I cannot stand "there" and speak seems ludicrous and pointless. The cop didn't decide that standard. So it seems clear.....stand "here" and speak....avoid speaking "there".....everybody's happy.

Unless of course, one has a 'thing' about authority and simply has to test the limits and goad law enforcement into action. Happens...happens all the time.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

The greatest erossion of our rights have happened since the passage of that rag of a bill for homeland security. Many of the classes law enforcement sign up for are nothing more than an assault of scare tactics on their minds. Legislators and D.A's program law enforcement to instill fear into all of us. Make us affraid so we are willing to cooperate, and when we don't cooperate the big military weapons come out. Microwave technology...I wander who's idea it was to cook us when were are exercising our rights to assemble.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

Sounds to me like you have a problem with people having freedom. The true cost of freedom is giving it to others, especially when you don't agree.

re-read my original post. I don't recall ever saying anything about the cops themselves. I talked about how social victimless crimes turned the cops into bad guys in the public opinion. When cops are focusing on crimes with victims like theft, murder etc, they are considered the good guys and are protecting the people. When they are enforcing victimless social crimes, they become the enemy in the public's eyes, because they are in a role of being parents.

As I mentioned before, there is a wonderful story about exactly this from a frenchman who came to visit early US from France. What I am talking about is exactly what he pointed out, as he came from France which had very strict social laws, to the US which did not.

So I was just showing how cops went from being the good guys to the bad guys.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Horsesqueeze. I've been polite with the police in the US, and they essentially told me to F off or they'd arrest me. I'm always polite with cops, so by your logic, I should have never, ever met a cop who was mean to me. But I have, so clearly your logic is falling a bit short.

The 'few bad apples' defense is ridiculous. It's endemic.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join