It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Born under a bad sign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Born under a bad sign

After listening to Coast to Coast AM last night and hearing Dr. Schwartz, I wanted to put this out here for some serious responses. I have friends that if questioned about me they tell you that I am badly cursed or under a bad sign. I am Christian, but let's cast that aside for a while and give me some serious feedback. I'll explain just a few things to generalize a much larger picture.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I have the worst luck of anyone ever it seems to me. For starters I have broken 1 leg in 3 places, 6 ribs, 1 arm, all 10 fingers, 1 foot, fractured my skull, had more stiches than I can count. In the last 5 years I have been laid off from 6 different jobs, lost a wife, her children, my house, my truck. Everytime I say I'm going to do something (like a vacation )it never happens, something always comes up. My paychecks always seem to end up with problems. One check last year was a month late getting to me. Something always happens. I have this horrible reoccuring dream that always leaves me feeling aweful every night. Someone explain why some people have the very best of luck, everything always seems to go right and I always am on the other end.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
i don't know that i really believe in luck or not

granted i've had some times where if i hadn't been just a little bit quicker or slower or worn a green shirt etc that something would or wouldn't have happened, depending on the outcome of the situation.

really though, some people are just accident prone and there's really nothing they can do about it short of changing their entire life style

perhaps it is a test of some sort but as far as having a clear cut answer for you, i don't think any human could say anything and actually be correct.

just live your life the best you can and though it's hard sometimes, try and focus on the good things that happen and maybe things will look up for you

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

WOW, you have 10 fingers, I'm afraid i only have 8, and two thumbs

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by outrider

Ignore outrider... he almost never offers any insight into the threads he comments on.
I dont mean you have to press the ignore button, there is the off chance that he will presnet something worth reading, but feel free to just skip over his posts when you see that avatar.

On your troubles here, im not sure where i stand.

I do not accept the idea that our destianies are predetermined by luck, but i cannot disprove that some people seem to have more luck and some less.

I cannot think of a way to 'test' luck...
and therefore, i cannot outright dismiss luck...

I think it is very possible that we have varying types of luck.
Luck for love
luck with the law
Luck with teachers
Luck with parking
Luck with the weather
Luck with many things...

If your one of those people who realy belive in luck and such, then one method that i heard was to put a number 8 in your wallet.

The number 8 is associated with luck. Particalryly money.

Put a single 8 on a peice of paper in your wallet...
Couldnt hurt...

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Luck is a big part of my life, and what TKain says, well its usually true if i post during the day, but not at night(which it currently is), and i have to tell you (i don't know if its luck or what) in almost every situation with tension, it could be video games, or a fight, or a test i wasn't prepared for, but i seem to have the strangest luck, here is an example, I was walking home from school, four years ago, and i was being followed by three people, it was easy to say they weren't just going in the same direction, as they followed every turn i made, it was also obvious that ninja, they were not. Anyway, back to the story, i managed to get myself cornered, and one of the buggers decided to pull a knife, yes a knife on me, well, luck being what its is, there was a garbage can beside me, i opened it up, and inside it was a slightly bent aluminum baseball bat, now, i don't know where your from, but i think a baseball bat beats a kitchen knife, don't you, now what were the chances that there was going to be a baseball bat in a garbage can on the day i was going to get jumped and probably stabbed, I got lucky.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Nice post outrider

Luck is real.

The aspects that it controls are what we are unsure of.

If i could think of a way to test luck...
Im thinking... It would have to be initiated by the test subject, but have no bearing on skill or on learning how to improve... the test would have to be random to a degree...

I got nothing... ok... wait, how bout these ideas...

Being Blindfolded/no hearing, and shooting a baseketball at a hoop at 4 meters...
Number guessing games...
Blind/deaf, fireing rifle at 20 meters...
Drop your beer at 1 meter in height...

Im not sure...
I realy cannot come up with a sure fire way of testing luck...

I feel like there should be some WAY to test luck... i cannot confirm something without realying being able to test it, and realise that it is something REAL, and quantifiable...

And outrider, thank you for responding the way you did. Too often people respond to criticizm of themselves with anger, and thier emotions.
You straight up came and said that the critizism on you could be true, and then you worked to change that image.

major MAJOR props man...

In todays world, some people just refuse to admit fault. Then again, you are a older member(in ATS years) and you know how it used to be around here.

Luck is realy a concept that We, as a species, have very little understanding of...

Good or bad luck... it is still something that we cannot put into perspective.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
Good or bad luck... it is still something that we cannot put into perspective.

but there are some ways, i feel that luck is an entity, that helps you if you have a positive personality, or if you are one of those helpful people, you get on the good side of this luck "being" and it decides to help you when you need it

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by outrider

If luck is an entity within ones self.

Then would luck be binded to the soul?

Would bad behavior and horrible acts in a prior life, give you bad luck in subsequent lifes?

Would one have to do good onto others, to bring about good luck in thier own life?

Luck is the 'other' catagorey in life.
Theres your gentetic makeup
And what you can do for your self in your life
and there there is the 'other'

Whats 'other'

Thats luck, and the mysterious, some might even say, the 'will of the one'

With good energy, comes good luck
with bad deeds come bad luck

mabye you have nothing more then having the bad luck of a past life of unfortunate deeds. Mabye doing good in this life can reverse this fortune.

Then again, nothing of the above can be backed by a gram of scentific evidence... so... take it as you will...

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Let me add this to it. For several years I am plagued by horrible nightmares as well. I am always in this old house hiding from someone or something that I can't see and I'm trying to escape. I can never see anyone but I am so frightened in my dream of some presence. I wake up in fear most nights and freak out believing someone is in the room. After a moment or so I gain my senses and go back to sleep. I have been Christian all my life and it's hard for me to wrap my head around some ideas like luck or karma. It does almost appear to be something tormenting me constantly. There is generally a feeling that there is an evil presence around me always. There is the luck thing, then the nightmares, and then small things seem to happen always. For example, 2 houses ago, my fiance and I were haunted by the television turning on and off in the master bedroom by itself, and our dog would sit in the middle of the room and growl and bark at the ceiling. We went out of town and when we returned my fiance's things were dumped all over the floor and my things were not touched and the dog was going nuts barking at the ceiling. When we moved to a new house, the dog had to stay outside in the yard and all he did was bark and growl at the house, even when we were in the yard with him.
I don't know if I believe in curses or not, I do believe in the Devil and demons, but wouldn't have any idea of why they'd be interested in me constantly. I have no idea what to think about it but it has gotten old and I am tired of it.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Thanks for the invite to the thread
I have not read everything yet but I plan to soon and I will throw in what wisdom I have.

Something jumped out at me right away though

I have been Christian all my life and it's hard for me to wrap my head around some ideas like luck or karma.

I thought I remember you saying in another thread that you were not always Christian. That you used to be an atheist. That you had an experience with Christ, and became a born again? Do I remember incorrectly?...

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
No, I have been Christian since a child. I was saved at 9 years old. However at 7 years old, I was hit by a car and suffered several broken bones, and a massive cuncussion. My mother died when I was 14 months old and my father was an abusive alcoholic. He put me in the hospital a few times. I had a few foster homes for a couple of years I've been told but he came and got my sister and me when I was about 3 or 4. Things have been crazy badluck since I was born, just one event after another. I mentioned before that I have friends that swear they have never seen luck like mine before in fact a few of them will have nothing to do with me in fear of it.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I hope you don't mind if I chip in a couple thoughts and questions

Have you talked to someone in your church about some of these troubles, especially the dreams? I have no idea what form your Christianity takes, but I know that a lot of denominations have ways of helping people who may be targeted by evil of one form or other. Whether this streak of bad luck is coming from within you or without, someone with extensive spiritual experience could help.

And this is just my opinion, but it doesn't necessarily matter what form that experience takes, as long as the person you confide in is open-minded and non-judgmental.

They would also have the opportunity to talk to you in person, and would be familiar with the setting, so they might have different insight than people here who can only see the situation through your eyes have.

The other thing I think might help is to look into meditation. There was a thread recently with some recommendations for forms of meditation that are appropriate for beginners and fully in agreement with Christian teaching and practice; I'll try to see if I can dig up the link for you.

I don't think that we are absolutely in control of our own luck, and if I were you I would particularly avoid anyone who suggests that you are to blame for your bad luck (especially the bits that happened in your childhood!) But I do think that we can learn to react to bad luck differently, to let it flow around us instead of getting so caught up in it.

I wish you well

EDIT: here's the thread I mentioned: Meditation Techniques and Christianity?

[edit on 10/19/08 by americandingbat]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Have you ever tried to be positive about everything. NOt have one negative thought at all. No cusing, no drinking or anything. If someone thinks negative all the time or hangs around negative people then they attract that negative energy. Just like you said your dad was abusive, so you were around negative energy all the time that is what you attract you have to change something to bring about more positive energy to you. Think nice positive thoughts or even speak will help with positive thinking. Or read Conversations with God. or the Secret kinda along the same lines.
I hope it all gets better.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice

I have the worst luck of anyone ever it seems to me. For starters I have broken 1 leg in 3 places, 6 ribs, 1 arm, all 10 fingers, 1 foot, fractured my skull, had more stiches than I can count. In the last 5 years I have been laid off from 6 different jobs, lost a wife, her children, my house, my truck. Everytime I say I'm going to do something (like a vacation )it never happens, something always comes up. My paychecks always seem to end up with problems. One check last year was a month late getting to me. Something always happens. I have this horrible reoccuring dream that always leaves me feeling aweful every night. Someone explain why some people have the very best of luck, everything always seems to go right and I always am on the other end.

Perhaps you are not praying to God often enough?!

top topics

join