It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New machine prints sheets of light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

New machine prints sheets of light

www.cnn.com

On a bank of the Mohawk River, a windowless industrial building of corrugated steel hides something that could make floor lamps, bedside lamps, wall sconces and nearly every other household lamp obsolete.

It's a machine that prints lights!
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This is way cool!

Just sit for a few minutes after reading about this development and imagine the possibilities and how it will change everything from architecture to advertising to automobiles to the fashion industry.

No need for clunky (sometimes ugly) and energy inefficient light bulbs and tubes to light our civilization.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/10/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
i had to forward that link to my dad and brother. very good post, im surprised to see good science posts here on ATS these days.

I can see some very abstract sculptures being made. i always like the soft lighting at movie theaters when they have rope lighting on the floor.

I have one of those three bulb adjustable stacked lighting lamps, but i always have to aim them up to defuse it off the ceiling for the most pleasant light.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
i think this is pretty cool!!

I dont like how you have to plug it in to an outlet.. and that the light is dim and gets dimmer after 2,000 hours.

but wow, i cant wait till someone runs with this idea. very cool. ^_^

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lushyslushy

Exactly. I remember not long ago when science was struggling to create a white LED that could be used to replace the light bulbs we have. Now you can buy them in stores. Hopefully, this will make it into the market just as quickly.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I have heard of research into bioluminscent sheets. The hope was that they could print LCD type screens on them, and allow for unlimited screen size with nominal overhead additional costs.

This is some good stuff.
Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

That's really neat. I remember reading about a man who claimed that aliens took him to their planet. One of the things he described was that the light in the buildings was coming from the walls and ceilings. He said that there were no lamps or light fixtures anywhere.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
An early Heinlein short story from the 1940's, Let There Be Light, concerned exactly this technology. After creating just such a light panel, the inventors learned that when the panel was exposed to sunlight it produced very cheap energy. When trying to market the panels they run into very stiff opposition from "The Power Syndicate". They end up releasing the details of the technology, thereby foiling the Syndicate.

Fun read.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
haha, too bad telsa isn't working with GE. he had an idea about a "wall of light" that could in theory be used to bend space and time. I know there are some vastly conflicting underlying principals there, but still, you never know until you try.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I have heard of research into bioluminscent sheets. The hope was that they could print LCD type screens on them, and allow for unlimited screen size with nominal overhead additional costs.

This is some good stuff.
Thanks for sharing.

They're ramping up to make TV's out of these OLED sheets now. And they do say that the screen size would be basically unlimited.

Even better, I read another article (sorry, can't find it now) that said they are researching stacking these "sheets" in a display to make a 3-D TV as seen in Star Wars and other movies.

Here it is:
article

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Look up "everburning lights of the ancients" It's supposedly how Egyptians lit up tombs without leaving carbon residues that pretty much stump egyptologists. I have a metric ass load of alchemy texts and one of them from around the 1600's claims to have remade these lamps using putrified urine. Basically he created the natural reaction of oxygen and phophorous, the same way a lightning bug's belly lights up on inhale, and glow sticks work then you break them. Also, it pretty much follows the way bioluminscence works. Also, if you've ever stumbled across foxfire taking a walk in the woods at night it's very scary at first, but it's just the phosphorous excretions of tiny organisms eating decaying leaves and such. If you could amplify and find a way for that to be prolonged, it would be a very cheap effective form of light, as well as a way to use the wastes we throw out daily.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Sony Corp. sells an 11-inch model for $2,500.

The price as yet is very steep, not to mention dimming of the light. Never the less it is a great ideal that will advance way beyond it's current state........Just like records to Cd's in time this will be the future in some way..

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Wow the applications could be staggering. I'm with you guys, amazing!

Thanks for posting Centurion... very cool.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
so, it'll be pretty much like the movie minority report.

and people say they don't tell us what their future plans are.

top topics

join