It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you propose if you had the power to fix our country?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I promised that I would never get involved in political and economical and discussion but when its in your face everyday you cannot help but succomb to its powers. My question is simple and please post from your hearts and feel free to explain how if you were in a position of power how would you help change our economy and our democratic way of life. Im not the most well versed person on these topics so your input is needed, I served our country for ten years so my loyalty lies within the military and seeing our troops come home safe and defend this country,I volunteered to help support our constitution and help protect our country, I served under two presidents and I never spoke my opinion of the two, I would deflect by saying hey that guy signs my checks(even though he didnt..lol) Im not sure where I stand on who Im going to vote for, They always talk a good game before they get elected then things change, I like the old adage that "Im not driving the bus" but I think its time for me to become a bit more involved and informed. So enjoy the topic and I want to hear what you would do.:up

[edit on 3-10-2008 by cmd18B]
Star and Flag if you like this thead

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I would return our country to a monetary system based on value, like gold and silver, or hell, even bottlecaps. Something that isn't just printed out of thin air. Then, I would start prosecuting every single lobbyist in Washington. I would make sure the previous President and his entire Administration were sent to trial, convicted, and incarcerated, or executed for high treason.
Then, I would address the world. I would ask that in exchange for what I have just done, we seek a road to peace. No more land grabs, no more resource grabs. Everyone work together to share, and to prosper, not as poor, middle-class, rich, white, black, brown, red, or yellow, but as Human Beings, as a species. No more mirrors, no more smoke. I would bring all of our troops home. I would entirely cut off Pentagon funding. There would no longer be a military. I would apologize to Iraq, to Afghanistan, to all people of the world on behalf of a once corrupted government. I would apologize to the Native American men and women for what we have done since we arrived here. I would apologize to the African people for what we did to them. And I would apologize to everyone who has had a loss at the hands of our corrupt government. I would ask for leniency in our time of penance, thought I would not expect it. I would show humility, and I would be humbled.
I would ask that all men and women leave their egos behind them and come together in a true effort to evolve, not only as a nation, but as a world and species. That's what I would do.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I would say this:

I will use my superpowers to fix this country IF:

1) You grant equal civil liberties to all citizens.
2) You destroy all the Churches.
3) You switch to the Barter System

What? I have friggin super powers!! Do you want me to fix this or not??

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

I would say this:

I will use my superpowers to fix this country IF:

1) You grant equal civil liberties to all citizens.
2) You destroy all the Churches.
3) You switch to the Barter System

What? I have friggin super powers!! Do you want me to fix this or not??

Make the currency of the country Wagon Wheels. That's always a good move.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Oh, I forgot to add # 4...

4) Archaic thinking is forbidden from now on.

**Your reply was hilarious to me. If we started trading items with inherent value instead of our current form of currency, some how that would make all the progress of our industrial world disappear
Like the mere thought of it and cars vanish, and factories blow up

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Putin in russia did well, because he got rid of the powerful, people ruining the country. i.e the mega rich individuals, raping russia.

He made them leave for the most part.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Off the top of my friend, to begin with...

1. Remove the Electoral College

2. Base the economy on something of value until an alternative arises

3. Find a cheap, reliable alternative to current fuel methods

4. Stamp out corruption and greed in government and special interests

5. Institute a national healthcare program

6. Senate and house term limits

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Mad Max]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I would fire EVERYONE and go back to the Constitution as it was written, with the current amendments to it also. Retract every executive order also.

I would make it a rule that NO Lawyers could ever hold office, and no office holder could ever hold office twice. No incumbents, period. No changing the seat either. You do your term and it's done, over, bring in fresh blood.

All lobbying and PACs would be outlawed.

States would go back to controlling the states, with very limited Federal Gov interference.

I would go back to more of an isolationist attitude in foreign affairs. Leave us alone and we leave you alone. We have enough to work on here at home.

We'd still have a military to protect our borders and interests.

Government staff would be reduced, big time!

Abolish the Fed, bring back precious metal based currency, silver certificates, payable to the bearer on demand.

Institute the fair tax. one tax on income across the board, individuals, companies, corporations. no loopholes, no returns, no shelters.

that's a start in the right direction

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I would do quite a few things.

1. Put a freeze on business lobbying Congress. This tells you that government is too involved with business and this needs to stop.

2. Have term limits put in place for 15-20 years so these people will not become entrenched with power.

3. Have public financing for 15-20 years. This way Barbera Boxer or Mitch McConell would have to win based on ideas and not how much money they raise. This is a BIG problem because people in Congress know if they raise enough money they will not face a challenger unless that person is rich or has name recognition. So they do what the money tells them.

4. Get rid of the Federal Reserve and phase out the IRS.

5. Reduce government(this would take up a whole other lists).

This is for starters. The kids have controlled the candy store without supervision and everyone is waking up sick.

EDIT: Also cap the debt ceiling to 40% of GDP and it would take 80% of the House and 80% of the Senate to raise the debt ceiling.

These people have us in a 10 trillion dollar hole because they have borrowed and spent like crazy over the last 8 years.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Wise Dome]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
INHERITENCE TAX:

It has been dismissed as the "death tax", the cruelest of taxes. Crazy! It is absolutely the kindest tax for everyone involved.

Don't tax any estates less than $2 million. But above $2 million EVERYTHING else goes to the Government.

This would eliminate -- among other things -- the Bush family influence. As well as Paris Hilton's fame.

Edit: Not to mention the Kennedy Family...

I know there will be some people who disagree. I will defend this position against all arguments until I am convinced I am wrong. (Not going to happen.)

Are we all born to this earth equal? Are we?

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Im thinking a few things but my first issue would be to address the three credit bureaus, I am middle class all the way, I struggle and I live in a expensive state, My property tax is nine thousand dollars a year, Yes its a big home, It's not brand new and it needs work but I will rant about that later.One my issues is the three different credit bureaus and they all read different scores. Why cant we have one central credit bureau? This country is getting worse on these issues, I feel like we are being judged by our credit, sure some people abuse credit but others a hard working honest people who have fallen on hard times and have missed payments and some are even losing their houses, Maybe one of the presidential candidates should offer up his other six houses to six lucky people. I was denied a job with a federal agency recently and after completing the hiring process and making it to the final review panel I was told I could not be hired because I have bad credit, Im considered a SECURITY RISK, I am succeptable to taking bribes..can you believe that?..Ten years of military service that was grooming me for this job and I was told that.I cant believe credit standing decides what kind of person you are..wow..Well thats the first thing I'd change is the credit bureaus, Im sure I will think of something else to change as the night progresses.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
What would I do if I were in charge of the US?

I would make it a federal offense, with mandatory jail sentence of 10 years minimum, for a congressman or senator to accept anything from a lobbyist (that would include proposed legislation)

Further, I would mandate that any meetings between a lobbyist and a government official be held in a meeting hall where the public is welcome, and that a video tape of the entire meeting be available to the public forever.

I would make it a federal offense, with mandatory jail sentence of 10 years minimum, for a company that employs a lobbyist to make any kind of political contribution.

I would also limit contributions to any political campaign to $5000. We need to end the political influence of companies in Washington.

I would make it illegal, with mandatory jail sentence of 10 years minimum, for any member of the military, or retired from the military who worked in procurement to accept employment from companies that supply the military.

I would enforce our borders.

I would make it mandatory for companies to verify the employment status of their potential employees. If the potential employees were in the county illegally, the employers would be required to report it to ICE.

I would put an end to chains of immigration. To immigrate here you would need a sponsor. They would be financially responsible for you until you became a citizen. If you haven’t achieved citizenship in 7 years you get the boot. Learning English would be mandatory within the first two years or you get the boot.

I would support revamping the immigration system to insure that we have the labor in this country that we need. I just don’t think that post 911, we should have anyone in this country that isn’t here legally. If you want to immigrate here you should want to become a citizen.

I would require immigrants to have catastrophic health insurance as well as auto insurance. If you can’t afford it, don’t come here.

There would be no welfare for immigrants. If you need help, you get a ticket home and you can’t come back.

We need to end entitlements.

If you are able bodied, and you need assistance from the government you can only get welfare for 6 months. After that you would have mandatory job training for jobs that are available in your area. You would be provided with free child care until you can find employment that you can make a living with. I would crack down on dead beat dads. Dads need to be part of their kids lives including paying their support.

I would simplify the tax code. Most likely, I’d favor a flat tax. In articles that I’ve read that comes out to about 20%. I might support a flat tax with a sales tax also. This would apply to corporations as well as people. There are a few exemptions that I would allow; I would allow the interest deduction on your home. I’d have to think of other deductions, but there wouldn’t be too many.

I would revamp the Foreign Service. You couldn’t be in the diplomatic corp, especially as an ambassador, if you can’t speak the language of the country that you are stationed in. We need to have people in Foreign Service who understand the country where they’re stationed.

Foreign aid. That’s a big one for me. If you’re not supporting the US in the UN and in other ways, don’t expect to get any foreign aid. If we’re giving a county foreign aid, we expect that projects where the aid is used are clearly defined and that the US will get credit as a sponsor of those projects. The money should be used to improve the lives of the people of the country, not to line the pockets of the leaders.

Military: I think that we still need a strong military but I don’t want or expect us to be the world’s policeman. I would close down many military bases in foreign countries that don’t want us there. I would let the UN assume protecting countries like South Korea. We no longer can afford to station our military in countries like South Korea .

I would limit how much we are required to pay for the UN. The UN just seems like a forum to bash the US. If you bash us at the UN don’t expect our help in other ways.

I’d like to make the Peace Corp bigger so that other countries can experience our help on the local level.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

NO more military? How do you propose to protect our borders. I can go along with no invasions, but no military(a STRONG military) is inviting invasion and occupation. Apolgies? We didn't make slaves of African-Americans. Their own people did. Apologize to the Native Americans? Maybe, but they had conspiracies going on against tne original settlers. I can agree with 95% of what you say, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I would also put in place a plan for energy independence. Wind and solar are the way to go.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

These are the pretty much the same talking points I've been preaching for the last 30 years. Could we persuade you to run for president in 2012?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
1) Properly secure both our land borders and increase security on our coastal waters.

2) Abolish the 2 party system and allow 3rd parties to have representation in the House and Senate.

3) Overturn some of the post 9/11 restrictions; especially those imposed on air travel regarding liquids and stupid things like that.

4) Limit immigration to 200,000 per year and ban immigration from nations that are hostile to the US - this will compensate for the above.

5) Reform federal law enforcement from about 150 agencies to maybe about 50 and create a European style paramilitary gendarmerie force for border protection, executive protection and assistance during riots, natural disasters, etc.

6) Reduce the amount of outsourcing of American labor esp. in the manufacturing and technology fields.

7) Increase medical research funding especially for diseases like Cancer, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, etc

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I have had the same thoughts for some time also.

I'm not the kind of person that seeks public office.

I'd rather lead a quiet life.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I find it strange that you have a quote from Heinlein in your signature. I loved his older books before stranger in a strange land.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
Apologize to the Native Americans? Maybe, but they had conspiracies going on against tne original settlers.

Heh yeah, they were 'settling' in their front yard, of course they did

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I read everything Heinlein wrote. He went off on some wild tangents later in life, but his writings had a great influence on my worldview, epecially in the political area.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join