It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Banker Dies In Street Fight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Top Banker Dies In Street Fight

news.sky.com

Frank McGarahan, 45, who worked for Barclays Wealth, intervened in a brawl in Norwich city centre at 3am on Sunday.

Norfolk Police said Mr McGarahan, of Hertfordshire, had enjoyed a "quiet evening out" before the attack as he visited the city to attend a family christening.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
"top banker" maybe he knew something a little too much and they shut his mouth, maybe he was a "top banker" at the wrong place at the wrong time, maybe people know more

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-9-2008 by Pockets]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

It does seem fishy. Interesting timing to say the least.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Maybe I'm reading into it a bit much, but in these difficult financial times I think there'll be more of these bankers turning up dead

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Originally I figured most would be jumping from windows. I hadn't really thought of the "silencing the whistleblowers" angle. It makes sense in these crazy times.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Intervening in street fights in the UK is a seriously stupid thing to do for many reasons:

1. Police will arrest you for assault, even if you are breaking up a fight.

2. You may get battered (as it was in this case)

3. Its not worth intervening to stop morons from beating each other up.

4. You are not allowed to be armed, so unless you are physically strong and capable of fighting, you are likely to get hurt.

One imagines a top banker would have known better...

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

2. You may get battered (as they say in this case)
just because they say it's the way it went down, doesn't mean it did

I also was looking forward to seeing the bankers jumping out of windows

[edit on 30-9-2008 by Pockets]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

That is what I would have thought as well, brave enough to make or should I say take the money but when the sh*t hits the fan they hit the pavement. I feel for their families.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
What can I say? Karma.

Anyone who thinks it's okay to make gain from someone else's suffering is a criminal, no matter how legal they are doing things. That being said... welcome to the most criminal country in the world, as we are all reaping the benefits of third world plunder.

All that out of the way... it could've happened the way it did, but once I say the Barclays name, I immediately thought it was a cover-up for a hit job to silence the guy, like almost everyone else who responded here... feeshy.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

Are you mad? How is this karma?

The poor bloke tried to stop others fighting and got killed himself in the process.

And how can you possibly know that he made a gain from someone else's suffering?!

Your attitude (and some others' in general) is just like the anti-bourgeoisie fanaticism of the French Revolution. Have you never stopped to consider that only a handful of bankers have caused the problem by trading exotics? Why are you lumping together all the rank and file bank employees with the criminal masterminds at the top?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
A “quiet evening out”? How did this quiet evening out turn into getting in the middle of a street brawl at three in the morning? Sounds fishy…

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
He was with members of his family at 3am in a city centre. He saw someone being assaulted and went to help. Police are saying they have good CCTV footage.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Probably a total coincidence he was a banker, but they did have to mention that little tid bit..gets people stirred up.

And it worked.

[edit on 9/30/2008 by Blogstalker]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Anyone who has ever seen a top banker knows they just can't stop from getting themselves into fistfights. /sarcasm.

Either a whistleblower getting silenced or some evil guy getting his comeupence would seem to be a more probable explanation.

I too believe that this time a lot of bankers, possibly right up to the top, will get assaulted and possibly killed. The type of stunts they pull requires anonimity, and they just don't have it these days.

Note that I am not suggesting or endorsing violence. Just predicting it.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I wouldn't trust the media or police as far as they can spit

If there's any truth to this story at all, perhaps the fight found him

Would his family contradict the story, after seeing what happened to him?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
A “quiet evening out”? How did this quiet evening out turn into getting in the middle of a street brawl at three in the morning? Sounds fishy…

Well, quite easily. Most people go out for a quiet night, as oppossed to a night ending with ones death whilst heroicaly trying to stop random acts of violence. From personal experience, there must have been an extremely good reason to get involved, possibly witnessing someone unable to defend themselves etc, perhaps female....many possibilities.
This kind of thing happens all the time. Sadly.

[edit:to add extract from the OP source]

The father of two young children, of Much Hadham, Hertfordshire, had been queuing for a taxi with relatives when he witnessed the attack on a homeless Lithuanian man, in his late twenties, who was walking a dog with his girlfriend, from Norfolk.

Well there you go.
As sad as this is, there is not much to this, just a sad story being emeshed into the current hysteria of the Financial Market Collapse.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by atlasastro]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Note there was a banker in NY subway that killed himself the other day.

Maybe not what it seems'....maybe the man was pushed.

Me

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
What can I say? Karma.

I remember the day when a few people were fired from the company I worked for, and in a meeting afterwards our visibly saddened boss said that "only a heartless f**k can smile on a day like this". This goes out to you, buddy. A life is lost and you smirk.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by buddhasystem]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by tommyc
He was with members of his family at 3am in a city centre. He saw someone being assaulted and went to help. Police are saying they have good CCTV footage.

"Married Frank McGarahan, 45, chief operating officer of Barclays Wealth, was set upon by a group of around four men in Norwich at 3am on Sunday."

If they have such good footage, don't you think they'd know how many men exactly where involved?

'a group of around four men' sounds like an educated guess, not something substantiated by video footage, neh ?

I find this ironic at the least..

a Banker, the stereotype of a weasle whose policys have made who knows how many people homeless, dying defending a homeless person

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phatcat

Originally posted by tommyc

"Married Frank McGarahan, 45, chief operating officer of Barclays Wealth, was set upon by a group of around four men in Norwich at 3am on Sunday."

If they have such good footage, don't you think they'd know how many men exactly where involved?

'a group of around four men' sounds like an educated guess, not something substantiated by video footage, neh ?

I find this ironic at the least..

a Banker, the stereotype of a weasle whose policys have made who knows how many people homeless, dying defending a homeless person

No conspiracy here. He was a guy who went to help another and was attacked himself by a group of youths.

Website Link

top topics

<<   2 >>

join