It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Vote -- Where it lands nobody knows...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I have voted in 7 elections now, and have never been weeks away and still have no idea who to vote for, who to trust. Not even going to mention how I am registered because it doesn't matter anymore. Unless one of the candidates suddenly grows a second head or something in the next few weeks, my vote is up for grabs. And I am certain that nothing is going to change it at this point.

Is anyone else feeling like this? I've never been so insecure about anything in my life.

P.S. This isn't a candidate-bashing-thread. Just wondering if other people are as insecure as I am this late in the game.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by Bombeni]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Don't put it on ebay.

www.cnn.com...

University of Minnesota student Max P. Sanders, 19, was charged with a felony Thursday in Hennepin County District Court after allegedly asking for a minimum of $10 in exchange for voting for the bidder's preferred candidate.

The charge carries up to five years' imprisonment and a $10,000 fine.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

If I were you I wouldn't vote at all if I would feel indeciseful. Then I could afterwards at least say that I didn't support any of them.

-v

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Thanks for the heads up! Was "joking" of course but apparently this is no joking matter.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
reply to post by Bombeni

If I were you I wouldn't vote at all if I would feel indeciseful. Then I could afterwards at least say that I didn't support any of them.

-v

What happens to uncast votes in the US?
I know that in Holland all uncast votes are automatically allocated to the party with the least votes.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psychopump

reply to post by Bombeni

-v

I know that in Holland all uncast votes are automatically allocated to the party with the least votes.

Are you kidding?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Psychopump

In that case, what I suggested might be problematic. I have no idea what happens in US to the uncasted voted - somehow I assumed them to remain uncasted
Really strange way to handle votes in Netherlands I suppose.

-v

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni

Originally posted by Psychopump

reply to post by Bombeni

-v

Are you kidding?

I kid you not.
Apparently it doesn´t affect the results of the election, it just makes the losing parties look less insignificant.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I feel your indecision. I have voted for POTUS in every single election since I was of age, save the last one. I voted for everything else, but simply could not pull the lever for either Bush or Kerry.

Now I am faced with the same dilemma. I'll hear McCain say or do something, I'll hear Obama or Biden say or do something, and each time I shift slightly to one side or another of that proverbial fence. I swear I have been riding that fence so long this time I'm bleeding from the barb-wire scratches in my butt crack.

So many times I have voted against a candidate, rather than for one. The last one I remember actually liking was Reagan. So in part to continue the tradition, I guess, if I can't make my mind up before the election, I'm voting Libertarian. Barr is probably as bad as the rest of them, but at least he's not the the rest of them.

God help this country if these are the greatest leaders among us...

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I think you should consider voting third party, and here's why....
You seem pretty torn between the 2 main candidates, which tells me that you aren't gonna be too upset with whichever one gets picked anyways, so why waste a vote in either direction? The third parties need your support; by voting and bringing attention to the third parties, and their issues your vote actually counts for something. I have a thread going here where Ron Paul talks about uniting the four main third parties on 4 key positions, and using what little voice the third parties have to be heard. If you agree with the following 4 positions I strongly suggest you give this some consideration.

1. Bring home the troops
2. Protect or civil liberties, aka repealing the Patriot Act
3. Investigate the Federal Reserve
4. Balance the federal budget

Remember, the third parties don't have to win, they just need enough of a voice to be taken seriously and get the four points they agree on to be taken seriously by the 2 main candidates and the media.

I think it's a vote for something, rather than just another celeb politician.

PS: Interesting idea over there in Holland, I bet that really makes the public take more of an interest and participate.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
To Redneck and Liquidsmoke-------------

LOL, good posts.

Ditto to everything you said. Let me say however that I almost feel sorry for the 2 candidates. They are pretty much doomed to fail, with what they have to take on, so I guess they both have a lot of guts even to be out there at all. I very well may go third party.

The truth is, the last few days I have been somewhat impressed by Biden, sensing more of an honest approach in him?? Today he said "the people WANT what Obama and I offer, they just don't think we are capable of making it happen" and that hit me as one of the most honest, intelligent statements I've heard from any of them.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Yup, I'm in the same boat. For a long time I figured I wasn't even going to cast a vote. Now I'm considering voting, but I'm not sure who's name I want to pencil in.... Scramjet76 for president??

Honestly, we know that it's either Obama or McCain. We know it will be decided in Ohio and Penn. The two party system is an oversimplification of the demographics across America. I might vote third party just to counter the two-party trap America seems to have fallen into.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Psychopump

In that case, what I suggested might be problematic. I have no idea what happens in US to the uncasted voted - somehow I assumed them to remain uncasted
Really strange way to handle votes in Netherlands I suppose.

-v

I must vote, I feel it is my obligation as a free American. But at this point, I may just jump on whichever "free" bus to the polling place passes by first. If I'm lucky, they'll make a stop at McDonald's for "free" lunch.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Reply to Scramjet76---

Well, could it be possible that there are enough of us fence-riders that chuck it all and vote third party, that it takes the election? Nahhh, probably not, but wouldn't that be a kicker?

I honestly see a third party winning in the not too distant future now.

p.s. Dont' know why but lots of times when I use the "reply" function it doesn't post the person's name I am replying to.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206
That may well be the way my vote happens. As it is, I am very disgusted about the fact that every issue that matters to me seems to either get tossed by the wayside or perverted into something unrecognizable.

1. Bring home the troops

Preferably in some form of victory. We should also quit sending military to do a police department's job, period.

2. Protect or civil liberties, aka repealing the Patriot Act

That's onje of those issues I want to see addressed, and no one is addressing it. Right on!

3. Investigate the Federal Reserve

'Dismantle' would be a preferable term to me, but I guess these things take time.

4. Balance the federal budget

You wouldn't be willing to accept the position, would you? You've got my vote if you would.

But you forgot another big issue:
5. Stop giving more 'rights' to criminal immigrants than law-abiding Americans have.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni
Wait, an honest comment by a politician? Oh, great, there goes another gash as I shift on the fence again... I hate barb-wire...

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Trust me, you're not the only one who's got, for the moment, no idea who to vote for... I probably won't decide 'til I step into the booth, if only metaphorically, since my state uses mail in ballots...

McCain? Obama? Barr? Whomever? No idea as yet, I'm not even leaning a particular way...

It really is a good thing that I've still got just over a month and a half to decide...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by Bombeni
Wait, an honest comment by a politician? Oh, great, there goes another gash as I shift on the fence again... I hate barb-wire...

TheRedneck

Ha ha ha. I hear ya. Probably Obama and McCain aren't even sure who they're going to vote for.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Hey I had no idea you have more than one, er sorry, two candidates? At least that's what fox tells me

-v

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Bombeni

Hey I had no idea you have more than one, er sorry, two candidates? At least that's what fox tells me

-v

Sorry I don't know what you mean.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join