It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burn After Reading

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I just got back from seeing Burn After Reading, the Coen Brothers most recent flick. Came out Friday, all shows were sold out save for the 11:00 PM here in Pittsburgh.

I wanted to share with everyone here that this movie is absolutely hilarious, and I think that all ATSers should see it. It depicts everyone caught up in a conspiracy that's not even a conspiracy. The way that the characters react to each other is absolutely great. The plot is a CIA analyst (John Malkovich), gets fired from his position. In being fired he decides to dictate his memoirs. At some point his financial transactions and the memoirs end up on a computer disk that his banker needed. She goes to a gym and loses the disk. Two naive gym employees find the disk and think that it's some sort of CIA top-secret documents. Everything gets blown out of proportion, a Treasury Dept. employee (Clooney) gets innocently involved and EVERYONE thinks that EVERYONE is out to get them. It was a riot, and I think that it shows how some conspiracies are just not a conspiracy at all.

This is something we all need to take heed to. I believe it was Freud who once said "Sometimes a cigar...is just a cigar." In any case, this rings along with the recent post "What's the worst conspiracy you've ever heard." This movie is great, and I think that the lot of you will enjoy it equally as much as I did. Good stuff.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Doc, I can't share your enthusiasm for this latest offering by Joel and Eathan. I realize it was a "dark Comedy" with the emphasis on dark.
I only laughed out loud once. It was amusing, adult and contemporary and the characterization was pretty good but for me it just fell flat.
I have already forgotten most of it. But "No country for old Men" still
has left me with images that are hard to shake. I do need to mention that
Tilda Swinton is one of the most sexy women on the planet. I don't know
why, she just is.

But even Tilda isn't enough to warrant spending $20 bucks for me and my date to see this show. And IMO this film doesn't warrant the big screen. A 13" portable TV and a DVD is plenty.

Thanks for starting the review thread, Doc.

join