It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to sell Israel Air Force new bunker-buster bombs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

U.S. to sell Israel Air Force new bunker-buster bombs

www.haaretz.com

Despite reservations in Washington regarding a possible Israeli strike on Iran, the American administration will supply Israel with sophisticated weapons for heavily fortified targets, the U.S. administration announced.

The U.S. Department of Defense announced it would sell the Israel Air Force 1,000 new smart bombs, rumored to significantly enhance the IAF's military capabilities. The deal was approved amid public and secret messages from Washington, with the Americans expressing their...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US rejects Israeli request for bunker-busters: report

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
So much for this report from a few days ago.

Iran's nuclear facility at Natanz (AP)

What's prompted the sudden change of mind from the Bush administration I wonder?

Friday, September 12, 2008

Iran renews nuclear weapons development

Fresh evidence has emerged that suggests Iran has renewed work on developing nuclear weapons, according to Western security sources.

Nuclear experts responsible for monitoring Iran's nuclear programme have discovered that enough enriched uranium, which if processed to weapons grade level could be used to make up to six atom bombs, has disappeared from the main production facility at Isfahan.

American spy satellites have identified a number of suspicious sites, which the Iranians have not declared to nuclear inspectors, that intelligence officials believe are being used for covert research.

The new discoveries emerged as it was revealed that Israel had asked America for military supplies, including "bunker buster" bombs and re-fuelling planes, suitable for an attack on Iranian nuclear installations.

(telegraph.co.uk)

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
the last time i remember a large consignment of bunker busting bombs being sold to isreal was a few months prior to the isreal-lebenon conflict a few years back.

it appears as if theres a split in the us of a,some want to and others are refusing to back any hostile action against iran.

i suspect those against it are the guys who have to command and do the fighting,those for are probably the politicians and thier subordinate agencies.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by welivefortheson]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This is a sale that has to go before the elections and new prez takes office.

It's hard telling if either candidate would actually sell stuff to Israel. Israel being attacked is one thing, I believe both Obama and McCain would help then. But to supply them with offensive weapons, totally different set of politics.

I just hope they know how and where to use them.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I think its the lesser of two evils.

I would rather sell them the bunker busters just to stop them from using large nuclear warheads.

Its not great position for the U.S. to be in but i think its one of the better decisions the U.S. has made.

I would prefer they came up with a diplomatic solution but u dont always have that choice.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

The Pentagon's announcement, which came on Friday, said the U.S. will provide Israel with 1,000 units of Guided Bomb Unit-39 (GBU-39) - a special weapon developed for penetrating fortified facilities located deep underground.

The $77 million shipment, which includes launchers and appurtenances, will allow the IAF to hit many more bunkers than currently possible. Although each bomb weighs 113 kilograms, its penetration capabilities equal those of a one ton bomb, according to professional literature.

During demonstrations, the GBU-39 - labeled by the manufacturer, Boeing, as a Small Diameter Bomb (SDB) - has successfully penetrated more than 1.8 meters of thick reinforced concrete with a 23-kilogram warhead. The GPS-guided weapon is said to have a 50-percent probability of hitting its intended target within 5-8 meters, which should minimize collateral damage.

(Source: haaretz.com)

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
So.. Israel is "buying" bombs from us - if they have so much money, why are we giving them 7 billion a year plus whatever freebie killing military weapons we've already given out? Bye bye to any hope of your taxes going to something important, we're in the business of babysitting countries

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

Yes, you're probably right. The hawks seem to be winning, though.

I'm amazed that Israel is even contemplating this.

Unbelievable.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
This is a sale that has to go before the elections and new prez takes office.

I must disagree with you. America's foreign policy in regards to Israel will be virtually un-changed, regardless of whether her president is Bush, Obama, or McCain.

It's hard telling if either candidate would actually sell stuff to Israel. Israel being attacked is one thing, I believe both Obama and McCain would help then. But to supply them with offensive weapons, totally different set of politics.

The US overtly supplying weapons to Israel is certainly not without precedent. For instance, "In late July 1965, the United States sold 210 M-48 Patton tanks to Israel. Though the Kennedy
administration had already agreed to provide Israel with heavy weapons, this sale constituted the first occasion on which the United States consented to transfer offensive arms."

I just hope they know how and where to use them.

They do. It's a place called Iran.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Man its not just Israel believe me. The US gives all sorts of countries crazy amounts of money in aid and then also sell them stuff to. Pretty weird eh?

Originally posted by jomie-ky
So.. Israel is "buying" bombs from us - if they have so much money, why are we giving them 7 billion a year plus whatever freebie killing military weapons we've already given out? Bye bye to any hope of your taxes going to something important, we're in the business of babysitting countries

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Is this just any old shipment of weapons, though? Or is it overtly to help Israel take out those tricky underground nuclear facilities? Or am I being too cynical?

I wish I was.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Medvedev to Haaretz: Attack on Iran will endanger entire world

MOSCOW AND SOCHI - Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said Friday, "We know that certain players are planning an attack against Iran. But we oppose any unilateral step and military solution to the nuclear crisis," he added.

Speaking at the Valdai Discussion Club, an annual forum of opinion-makers in Moscow, Medvedev also said, "The world does not need to tighten its sanctions on Iran at this time."

(haaretz.com)

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
What's prompted the sudden change of mind from the Bush administration I wonder?
Money I would presume.
If Israel upped there price anyone would be insane not to take it.
I find this odd as well only the other day Washington was saying "NO!" and now they are saying "yeah sure why not".

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Sunday, September 14, 2008

DoD approves sale of bunker buster missiles to Israel

The US Department of Defense has notified Congress of a potential sale to Israel of 1,000 smart bombs capable of penetrating underground bunkers, which would likely be used in the event of a military strike on Iran's nuclear facilities.

The notification to Congress was made over the weekend by the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, the branch of the Pentagon responsible for evaluating foreign military sales. Congress has 30 days to object to the deal.

The deal is valued at $77 million and the principal contractor would be Boeing Integrated Defense Systems.

The bomb Israel wants is the GBU-39, developed in recent years by the US as a small-diameter bomb for low-cost, high-precision and low-collateral damage strikes.

Israel has also asked for 150 mounting carriages, 30 guided test vehicles and two instructors to train the air force in loading the bombs on its aircraft.

The GPS-guided GBU-39 is said to be one of the most accurate bombs in the world. The 113 kg. bomb has the same penetration capabilities as a normal 900 kg. bomb, although it has only 22.7 kg. of explosives. At just 1.75 meters long, its small size increases the number of bombs an aircraft can carry and the number of targets it can attack in a sortie.

Tests conducted in the US have proven that the bomb is capable of penetrating at least 90 cm. of steel-reinforced concrete. The GBU-39 can be used in adverse weather conditions and has a standoff range of more than 110 km. due to pop-out wings.

In its recommendation to Congress, the Defense Security Cooperation Agency wrote that Israel's strategic position was "vital to the United States' interests throughout the Middle East."

"It is vital to the US national interests to assist Israel to develop and maintain a strong and ready self-defense capability. This proposed sale is consistent with those objectives," the statement read.

(Rest of the article: The Jerusalem Post)

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Ongoing news discussion...

Here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join