It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand leader calls election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
New Zealand leader calls election

New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark has called a general election for 8 November, aiming to win a fourth term in office.

I'm interested in finding out how the politics system in New Zealand works - is it based on the traditional British system or has it been Americanised?

Help me expand my knowledge Kiwi's! Tell me more.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
We have MMP, that is, Mixed Member Proportional. Personally, I find it more 'satisfying' than the old FPP (First Passed the Post) system.

My understanding is that it is based on the German system, but I may be wrong.
We do seem to be having increased 'Hoopla" so in that way we are more 'Americanised' ('though I still use an 's' instead of a 'z' so I may not be a good test citizen
) but seeing as we all are living in the age of pox americana I think that may be more indicative of the times!

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ChChKiwi

Wow, that post made me more confused than ever. haha.

I looked it up and here's what I found:

en.wikipedia.org...

NZ is a shared Monarchy, or a constitutional Monarchy, and recognizes the Queen as the titular head.

It's got a set of statutes and, of course a Constitution. New Zealanders consider the Treaty of Waitangi to be the Magna Carta, and the founding document.

There's an Executive Council and the members are called 'The Ministers of the Crown. The Executive Council advises the Governor-General; it is the counterpart to the Legislative Council, and there is a Parliment.

Sounds complicated. Best I could do though, not being a New Zealander.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ChChKiwi

You hit the nail the head . Despite our political system relying on smaller third party's our elections becoming more presidential in style much to our determinant. In a parliamentary democracy you elect MP rather then the leaders themselves. The Treaty of Waitangi was or is a treaty between Maori and White Settlers it isnt a formal constitution like the US or even Australia has . MMP is complex but it still the right system for New Zealand .

[edit on 28-9-2008 by xpert11]

new topics

top topics

join