It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat 4 Hurricane Ike Poised To Strike New Orleans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Cat 4 Hurricane Ike Poised To Strike New Orleans

www.nhc.noaa.gov

New weather models predict Ike is heading for New Orleans and shows no signs of weakening.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Seriously, if New Orleans wishes to survive they need CAT 5 proof flood and storm protection, otherwise whats the point?

www.nhc.noaa.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I don't think that insurance companies should be required to insure hurricane death zones. If you live there, and your house gets obliterated, maybe you should think about living somewhere else.

I don't live in a hurricane death zone, and guess what, my house never ever gets obliterated by hurricanes. Not once and it's 40 years old, older than me.

So unfortunately I don't feel sorry for hurricane victims. If you don't want your house to get blown down the street, move to somewhere else, like 30 miles inland for crying out loud.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Looks like NO is in trouble again, happy it "might" miss SW FL......Those of us that live on the coast take our chances......I live 9 ft above SL on a barrier island, BUT accept the risk and do not expect the government to "save" me or bail me out.......

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
What do you guys think of ALL the people that live in these evacuation places on the verge of collapse (i.e. Forclosure) are going to do in the near future?...................I thought so.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I don't think that is going to hit New Orleans this time I believe that it may got closer to the Florida coast in the northern part.

The hurricane is going too slow and that may change its course.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

IMHO, you may be right, but the high pressure ridge (clockwise rotation) could add speed....

link   
In Puerto Rico buildings are required to be made from cynder block and/or concrete so that they may survive this type of weathering. Any sort of wood-frame structures should be against building codes in areas regularly pummeled by hurricanes.

link   
has blackwater showed up there yet? i keep hearing things bbut nothing to solidly confirm it. sorry to be off topic a bit.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
That`s crazy. Old Orleans better be prepare.

link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I don't think that is going to hit New Orleans this time I believe that it may got closer to the Florida coast in the northern part.

The hurricane is going too slow and that may change its course.

No, I have an educated guess that it will be going more south than what is projected. There is a High Pressure system building from the north and that will push it further south along Cuba, possibly along the southern part of Cuba(crossing fingers for FL peolple). I think that the forcasters build in margin errors greater than what it really is to keep "liability" at a minimum. The trend from day one to now makes the storm going west and not hooking a right turn anytime soon.

Ohh did I say I stayed at the Holiday Inn last night?

link   

Good call, Marg, just looked at the "forecast" winds aloft and they show steering currents pushing the storm eastward either over the FL peninsula or pushed eastward...which contradicts most of the models......

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by habu71

I know, but remember Gustav was very slow moving, also the key of IKE strenght will depend on how close it goes through cuba, If it stays between the keys and Cuba it may not hit New Orleans.

I think that the winds in the Gulf also will play a big part on how this hurracane goes.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Ike is more compact but higher winds, plus it's moving along relatively faster than Gustav. I would not be suprised if it peters out over Cuba, and gives FL nothing but some tropical storm winds and a littler rain for a short period of time. I'm setting my sights for Texas on this one.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
This storm is just way too out to tell. My guess is Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas or Mexico. Thats just a guess though...thing could turn and go for the SE USA tho not likely.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this information. I live in Central Florida on the west coast and I don't get much news.
I hope no one is in the path of this Hurricane.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
LOL

Living above sea level = intelligent
Living below sea level = ignorant

I hope that city sinks for good...just hope everyone gets out alive

Mother nature WILL win this battle!

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I think what would be interesting is IF it does head to NOR...I mean, how many times are they going to evacuate everyone, and at what cost..can they afford to keep running this drill?

Or have they cried wolf already and this time will be a lac-luster response.

New Orleans is one of the oldest cities in America, founded in 1718 (according to wiki), so why is it only recently that the city is under so much threat from hurricanes? Oh thats right, our great 20th century 'advanced' technology that allows us to live lower then sea level in a spot prone to be pounded by hurricanes.

All the money lost building, evacuating and re-building; all the lives lost, broken and families torn apart from all this makes as much sense to me as sending 1Billion dollars to Georgia (not the US one).

We should let nature have what it wants and stick to developing in safe areas. And take that Billion to make safe sound, and nice, housing for all the displaced New Orleans caught in this political/corporate disaster.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Gustav was a disapointment...

So the MSM must put thier fear-mongering tactics into the next storm...

*yawn*

People that live in these regions KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

I live in Florida for 5 years, we had the Hurricane Drill down...

Board up
Move valuibles
Get out of Town...

Not hard to do...
But, i guess if your a degernate Junkie, that might be hard to do...
I guess thats why this is news...

Lots of degenerate Junkies in that area...

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Looks like oil is going to spike...maybe; They should just make New Orleans like Venice...you can't fight nature. New Orleans was mostly a disaster with Katrina because the people were pretty horrible. I've heard tales from people who used to live in New Orleans and LA...from what I've heard just during Gustav people were urinating on the walls of relief centers (I mean...wtf, there are toilets) and complaining because their meals didn't come with bread. People expect too much from the Federal Government these days.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by yellowcard]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join