It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The LHC was a bad idea from the start

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I think that the Large Hadron Collider was a really bad idea from the start because:
1. they dont have a clue what its going to do
2. what ever it does its probably going to be bad
i understand they want to do it for science but think about it theyre going to re-create the most violent part of the entire universe surely thats cause for concern.

surely they should atleast take a little bit more time do a couple more smaller exoperiments first so they know ecxactly what theyre doing i dont think its right what theyre doing now theyre practically risking all of our lives.

and all the scientists trying to stop it surely should ring some alarm bells because theyre willing to go far to stop this thing from happening.

what do you think

God Bless

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I have to agree...

They say the black holes will not grow based on a unproven theory...
And even if that theory is proven true, what they are trying to find could possibly kill everything.

I know scientists have felt this way before, but this is the first time we as a world population have been able to talk and be heard so well, and with even scientists starting to say this is not a good idea I really do think we should stop.

These people can NOT know nothing bad will happen unless they either know the results, or have already done the experiment. Otherwise anything can, and possibly will happen.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
cant buy that, the whole reason they have built it is because they know what will happen, they know their is a risk ect, they know the most likely outcomes.

go science!

like i said in another post, if it fails we may never know..

and theirs always a scientist who wants to get a name discrediting other scientists.... let them fight amoungst themselfs.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I am not sure the two reasons you stated are good reasons to be citing.

1. They DO have an idea.. so your first reason is flawed
2. It could be a pretty damn cool outcome. You can't say with 100% conviction that it WILL turn out bad when your first reason states that they have no clue what will happen..

That is, unless YOU know for sure and in that case, I'd be milking that knowledge for all it is worth

I am nervous about it, but my curiosity for the end result outweighs my nervousness.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
They DO have an idea...yes as does Billy.

Their idea is not much more founded than his since they cannot prove what they say. I cannot see anything good coming from this; even if nothing goes wrong.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Perhaps, and I'm just thinking out loud here, we should turn it on and then see if it was a bad idea.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by umbr45I cannot see anything good coming from this; even if nothing goes wrong.

Can you expand upon this please? Surely you can understand why I fail to see the logic in that statement.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Lets assume nothing goes wrong, all goes as planned, the black hole closes and the unproven theories are prooved. What do we gain? Nothing that will be any good I bet.

Last time the risk of destorying the planet paied of we got the atom bomb, and thousands of innocent people died. We are not to be trusted with something like this.

So either we all die...We get nothing...We get something that allows us to kill thousands of people... I see no good side really.

It would appear I answered without reading your post
I shall stay on thread to answer any other question that arise.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by umbr45]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by umbr45

So, apparently we are all going to die. Big shocker there

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by umbr45

I think it is funny, yet unnerving when kids get on the internet and claim that they know more than the worlds leading particle physicists. There is no proof yet that they will even create a black hole. The LHC isnt some kind of super-bomb type planet killer either. They built the LHC to test current theories about the way the universe works. I dont think anything bad could come from it.

Maybe Tech. for a hyperdrive or a new energy source could come from the experiments they do there.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I don't pretend to know more than them, but neither do they know what they are doing.

The only way to know what you are doing and what the results will be is to either do it...or look at the results of someone else who has.

There is no proof they will.... there is no proof they wont either....

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by umbr45
I don't pretend to know more than them, but neither do they know what they are doing.

The only way to know what you are doing and what the results will be is to either do it...or look at the results of someone else who has.

Uhm.....

Everything will be fine and if it isn't.. relax, you were bound to die anyway one day.

Now what do you say we give your brain the rest of the day off

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Yes, some day probably 80 years in the future, but why should I, my little brother, everyone I love and know, everyone I don't die because an experiment went wrong.

Laugh if you like, but I am not being crazy, I am not pretending to understand what will happen, because nobody does know what will happen and that is the problem.

Give my brain the day off, why because I don't want to die in order to gain a bit of knowledge?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by umbr45

Im sorry but your wording makes me dizzy.

Do you not understand that any experiments that they do using the LHC will have had the formulas checked and rechecked? Physicists to MATH.

Have you heard of math before?

It is the language of the world around you. They have been using it for years!

Math lets you insert variables into a formula, and (I'll be damned!), get a result that tells you what will happen!

I think you have been watching too much youtube.

Go to CERN's website. They give you the honest truth about what could happen. ...

...of course you will probably just come back and say that you cant trust CERN because they are run by the Illuminati or something.....

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
No, I do not believe in the Illuminati. And why should I trust CERN???

They have been given billions of pounds by people around the world...would they really want to shut everything down? Governments lie, businesses lie, everyone lies.

It tells you what will happen does it? Then there is no need to do the experiment unless... it doesn't tell you everything that will happen.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
There are a few things scientists hope to observe occurring within the LHC; whether or not particles have a heavier super partner, the Higgs boson and mini-black holes.

The first would prove whether or not super symmetry is a theory that explains what is observed in nature, this theory predicts that all particles have super heavy partners and these are prime candidates for dark matter.

The Higgs boson is one of the last pieces of the standard model puzzle, the standard model being our best theory on the three of the four fundamental forces (the electromagnetic, the weak nuclear force and the strong nuclear force.)

Finally mini black holes would be one of the best ways to probe our understanding of the universe as much of the physics we know breaks down within black holes, if they do "dissolve" via hawking radiation it will help us greater understand the universe and black holes.

There are theories that black holes do not exist and are in fact some soft of dark energy star or clusters of elemental particles, the lack of mini black holes would boost the reputation of these theories or show that at these energy levels they are not created.

Finally I would like to say it is far more likely that we are killed off by a super virus/bacteria created in an arms lab than the LHC but I don't see anyone creating threads on the need to shut down arms labs across the world as they also do a lot of good in researching cures to these diseases.

Most risks we take in the world are to gain something greater than the risk.

P.S. ∞ cannot be cancelled by ∞, it is an abstract mathematical concept, not a number

[edit on 2-9-2008 by -Klaus-]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I don't think its going to end the world. But if it does, who cares? I would be extremely proud to know that I died at the end of the world, how many people (throughout history) can say that?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Yes if it dissolves through Hawking radiation... But the last time I heard that was unprooven...

If it has indeed be prooven could you show me a link, else my opinion is unchanged.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
So either:
Cern gets activated and:
o We die a fast and painless death (I take it getting sucked in by a black hole is so fast you won't feel any pain?)
o We won't die a fast and painful death now, but we will die eventually anyway.

Let's compare that with if Cern would not be activated:
o We could die, slow and painfully, or fast and painless.
o Or we could not die, and then die later on.

Unless you believe that if we ''survive'' till 2012 we become some kind of uberascended gods, in that case you can add:

o We will never die, we become immortal.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I can see where everyone is coming from but i think its a very dangerous experiment and i think they should do more smaller exoeriments to make sure theyre isnt a big risk but thats unlikely since theyre renacting the most violent time in the history of our universe.

but sure maybe somehting isnt going to happen atall but still theyre willing to risk everyones life and for what curiosity.

and if something does happen thats all the innocent people who are going to suffer and dont get me wrong im not afraid of dyin the way i see it in my belief system i know where im going after death so why should i be scared

but what about all the innocent people of the world do they want to die nope do they care about dying yes and do they deserve to die hell no.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join