It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we outlive the dinosaurs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Hello to you all... an interesting subject has came into my mind. Do you think humanity will live out the dinosaurs in terms of natural occurrences (massive earthquakes for an example), deliberate extinction, worldwide holocaust.

It's said that the dinosaurs lived on Earth for about 230 million years, do you people think humanity will reach that point and possibly go further?

Let's hear your views!

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I doubt it. Humanity has been around for about 1 million years and we are already on the brink of self-administered extinction.

Dinosaurs, on the other hand, were the dominant vertebrate animals on earth for over 160 million years.

The odds ain't in our favor.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by diamount

Who is "you people" and do you mean outlive older generations of humans?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
we will die off because as Agent Smith said so truthfully... 'you are a disease, a cancer, a plauge'...

We consume and move on. Soon, there will be billions too many people, no food, and a final war.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
What I mean by 'you people' is ATS'ers, the community... and no I mean will humanity as a whole survive as long as the dinosaurs and subspecies does not count.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
eh, buddy, dinosaurs are still living today. The ones still alive today would have to die before we could even begin this race of endurance you're talking about.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
No you call present dinosaurs 'reptiles', I am talking about the ones which have been extinct for 65 million years.

[edit on 06/21/2008 by diamount]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Well, yes, we seem on the brink of annihilation right now. But the thing is: If we succeed in establish moon bases, that means we will start expanding colonizing process. If we colonize other start systems, ours and start moving through our local area of our galaxy expanding our population, I am quite certain that we will out live the dinosaurs. We are much more intelligent than them.

One thing is for sure: The dinosaurs didn't colonize other planets.

Unless: An opposing hostile alien race is following a suicidal religion to destroy the galaxy through a series of artifacts made a long time ago. And this alien race sees humanity as heresy to their religion and are intent to wiping out our species. And they destroy all of our colonies and destroy Earth (Almost: hint hint)

(See what metaphor I'm getting at)

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

um which ones? cause there are still some that are around from 65 million years ago. Define your terms.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Okay, sure.

How about massive land predators which walks on two legs, I don't think I saw any of them on my recent trip to the shop.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Heck, I see them eveyday. Bubba and Jimmy, they come for the fried chicken.
As for surviving as long as the dinos, that's kind of a broad statmet. Sure, the dnio's as a group survived for a while, but if you want to look at it that way, it'd be better to ask if mammals will survive as long.
The dinosaurs existed through many different periods and changes. Something I'm fairly certain humans, and mammals will be able to as well.
(Heres a interesting thought for you: Supposedly, the Trex tasted of chicken, as do humans, so we taste of Trex.)

Dinosaurs were a entire species of different animals, you can't compare them to one single division of animals (like humans).
And, since mammals actually evolved during the reign of the dinos, then it seems we're making a good effort.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

large bipedal predator . . . they are actually larger than the average dinosaur that lived 65 million years ago.

sorry, i'm such a p^!ck

[edit on 8/31/2008 by JPhish]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I was actually on about T-Rex's but yeah you caught me there

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

in seriousness. If the dinosaurs were truly cold blooded, i'd imagine that we'd have the advantage in this race. Warm blooded creatures have an easier time surviving drastic climate changes.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
To be fair, you'd have to pick a particular species of dinosaur. It's kind of a broad category of organism. No species of dinosaur was around for even close to the amount of time dinosaurs in general were around. Categories of dinosaur were around for quite a while, yes, but particular species didn't last all that long. I'd be that we've already outlived a fair number of individual dinosaur species, while I'd be quite confident in saying that many lasted longer than we will.

top topics

join