It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAS Survival guide - John 'Lofty' Wiseman.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
ISBN: 978-0-0-00-728512-9, Harper-Collins, London 2008.

So, here it is. Book review time, and its haper Collins new pocket gem, SAS survival guide by J.Wiseman.

the book comes bound in a great little camouflage heavy duty nylon cover, a stiffener front and back so it cannot get squashed, and measures 4 inches long, 3 wide and 2 deep. In short, it is the ultimate 'stash it in your BOB' book.

The inside pages are made of very good quality paper, the reproduction of colours and text is amazing, and it really does contain every last detail of the large book, albeit in a condensed form with smaller illistrations.

Borders have it on sale for £6.99 at the minute, and I cannot say how suprised I was to see it for so little.

Oh one neat little touch? it has a button compass built into the top of the front cover.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

The inside pages are made of very good quality paper, the reproduction of colours and text is amazing, and it really does contain every last detail of the large book, albeit in a condensed form with smaller illistrations.

Do you know how the quality of paper compares to the larger version? I can't seem to find this small one in Canada. Thanks

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The paper is very heavy quality, alot more resistant to water (yes, I tested it) and is bound twice on a three point system so it will stand alot of constant flicking through / use.

I like it, alot.

If you only have the big one, laminate pages and stash them in your BOB.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I had this book, it describes everything. everything.

Thanks to this book I now know how much material I need between me an a nuclear explosion, and how to survive fall out, thanks lofty you the man.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is the first time I've seen pics of this version..
. Niiice.

I dunno if I culd justify it though as I have the large one for swotting at home,a small one for reading out and about..And another small one double wrapped in plastic stashed in BOB..But that's never stopped me before.

Needless to say,if I could only carry two items..
One would be 'Mr Ouchy' and the other would be a 'Mini Lofty'

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Top Draw again Dan.

I was looking to buy the older larger version but thanks for this help.
Im off to borders now to make my purchase.

Colec156

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

You won't regret it as its awesome bit of reading. Mr ouchy and mini Wiseman.. yep, two things ya shouldn't ever be without.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Hey Dan, im having trouble finding that book on borders, Do you have a link you could U2U me please, my the local borders store is atleast 45 mins drive from my house and I can only find the older version online.

Many thanks

Colec156

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
i'll have a look in borders monday morning for you. Its not showing up online... well, I hope they havent sold out.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
If I'm not correct thats the book that I mentioned in one of my last posts

but yeah cheers Dan for the pics

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Did you post up an Amazon link for it?
I've blummin lost it.

An extra button compass always comes in handy

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Theres none on Amazon in this form T, not that I could find. I am off to borders tommorow to pick more up - I don't want these vanishing on me lol.

oh, and wait till I do the thread about my new shinies... oh my God... talk about must ! need ! Want ! shinies... they are... oh man I am so excited.

lol. if you want, im in borders ill pick a copy up for you.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Nope, but I did post the WHS link I could find for it, see thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Looks like Dan beat me to the photos though...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
oh, and wait till I do the thread about my new shinies... oh my God... talk about must ! need ! Want ! shinies... they are... oh man I am so excited.

Ooooo shinies?

Prettttyyy..must buy....

What are they? tell me now now now...

DK.. Cool thanks.. I'll try the local WHS ..it's small though so fingers crossed.

ED..
AHA!!! If you google

"SAS Survival the Essential Survival Book in a Zip-up Edition with Inbuilt Compass"

Then you get a load of links.. It hasn't disappeared yet.. £7.25 From WHS cheapest so far..

[edit on 1-9-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Gransfors small forest axe

and a..

world knives

and a

world knives

all for me!!!!! shinies! I need.... I had a play around with the Gransfors axe yesterday in the woods. The forestry guys use them. OMFG... its sublime. Will do full review on arrival.

The CRKT ltima got binned because it was so bad I couldn't bear to have it in my house. The handle cut me to ribbons.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Stuff me sideways..Niiiice.. Those are collectors items man

I thought my last addition was purrrrrdy..
www.surplusandadventure.com...

It's a beaut for carving spoons/pots with its fat blade.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Here's my favourite.

Estwing

I've used one for years at work, they wear well too.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Ahh and there is the difference. A work axe versus a wild backwood axe. They have hickory handles for a real good reason. If you split one, you cam make another because the head just will slip on nice and snug to a new shaft.

snap / bend or otherwise damage your all in one axe, you are axeless.

However, if you like it, and are used to it, then its for you a winner. However, i wouldn't want to fell or limb a tree with a hand axe..

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I have had this book for 15 years and is an invaluable book.
I have actually taken it with me in the sub-tropics of the of the beaten track of South India. It is highly descript and informative in all areas of human survival situations and easy to read and understand in laymans terms as well.
5/5 for me. If its the last book you will ever purchase in your life THIS IS IT

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
oops, double post... my bad

[edit on 3-9-2008 by digwiz001]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join